Flume trail info?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the conditions are on the Flume trail? I plan on hiking in a few weeks.

A few winters ago I hiked the trail it had an incredible amount of ice on it. I wished I had ice tools instead of an ice ax. I didn't get to the top of the slide until 5-6:00. It was fun though. :)

I have done that route a few times in the winter and never needed "tools'' good crampons and maybe one general ice axe will suffice, this trail would be a good example of wear micro-spikes might be insuffcient.

In winter I've most often approached from Liberty. The one time in winter I ascended the Flume Slide Trail we had full crampons and an ice axe would have been really helpful, but at that time I didn't own one, nor did I have the experience of using one.

That's what I've heard from other people. Maybe my last hike was worse than normal conditions.

I've been up once and down once in winter (different days), both times bare boots. That doesn't mean you will get those conditions but it means they do occur.