The Chronicles of Hernia: The Lying Around, the Stitches and the Loose Wardrobe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
After suffering a hernia which has effectively sidelined me for winter of 2012, I thought that I'd begin a thread about injuries. My surgery is next Tuesday.
I've begun a series on my injury at our website. We're trying to tackle what can be a touchy subject openly and with humor. We hope you enjoy the "adventure" in the spirit with which the series is meant: The Chronicles of Hernia Part 1.
Has anyone else suffered a hernia, or season ending injury? The physical part of recovery I can deal with, but how did you deal with the cabin fever, with watching the snow fall and knowing that you're done for the winter? That's been the toughest part for me.
Here's an old ad for a Hernia Truss we found :)

0_0_6b9e419a543f91fb51041b3c3b12790c_1

Sitting out a season? That would be really tough for me and is something I've feared. I hope you heal quickly.

FWIW: I felt the pop on Abol Slide for Katahdin in Feb '08, had laparoscopic bilateral inguinal repair with mesh in late March and did Rainier at the beginning of June. So, yeah, winter's probably toast, but get active ASAP and you won't miss much. Good luck.

I had an inguinal hernia repair in 1992. Was out of work for 6 weeks, but caught up on a lot of reading. Sneezing I recall was quite an issue for a while, even laughing had its hardships.:rolleyes:

That was also the days before the mesh inserts in use now, but the positive side is that I've never had a problem with it!

I had left inguinal hernia surgery 12 years ago then hiked Liberty and Flume 3 1/2 weeks later. I had right inguinal hernia surgery in November and was doing 3 mile walks around the neighborhood two weeks later. I think your expectation of being sidelined for a season are overstated. The first three or four days are the worst. After that, I was near my normal mobility though I was not lifting anything for a couple weeks.

JohnL

Don't let what I am going to say upset you, Buffalo, but my dad was in the hospital for his hernia removal about two weeks ago and he is now working on his recovery...from a nursing home. But then, he's 91. We expect him to return home in a few weeks. He says he's had no pain from this but it has weakend him.

I enjoyed double hernia surgery and found it to be a real character-building experience. During the recovery, which was completely at home following day surgery, I remember learning the true meaning of fear with my first BM.

:eek:

I had to sit out 2 years effectively. Surgery followed by complications, followed by job and living situation changes. And no one wants all the gorey details trust me!! :eek: As unfunny as hernia is, partial hysterectomy is perhaps even less funny .... On the bright side, I'm starting to get back out there this winter, slowly but surely. :)
Hoping your surgery goes as well as can be expected and that you heal super-fast! :)

FWIW: I felt the pop on Abol Slide for Katahdin in Feb '08, had laparoscopic bilateral inguinal repair with mesh in late March and did Rainier at the beginning of June. So, yeah, winter's probably toast, but get active ASAP and you won't miss much. Good luck.

Wow Chip wish I had your surgeon or muscles. I had 3 done at once I think 6-8 years ago, yea maybe around 2004. Mesh was used on right, left and belly button. I was able to do things a few months later. P/T was not suggested at the time, maybe things are different now, but I do recall him telling me that it would take up to 2 years for a full recovery. I did experience some soreness and a sharp pain once in a while when I moved the wrong way. But that is all in the past now and I'm celebrating my 1 year birthday of my new left knee :eek: Feel better, you'll be out there soon, and by the way, where is the snow that your looking at?

Wow Chip wish I had your surgeon or muscles. ...
Me too. On Rainier, Chip was doing better than I was.

A year later I had an inguinal and an umbilical hernia repair. Took two months for a recovery. The narcotics are a double edge sword. They relieve pain, but they are VERY constipating. Delaying the inevitable and building it to a peak. So when the inevitable arrives, life is miserable for a few hours.

Thanks everyone, mostly... I think :rolleyes:
Seems like the first few days will be bad, then a couple weeks of taking it easy, then maybe back into the swing of thing in March.
It is good to hear so many folks out there have the same thing I have and are back in the mountains and all is well.

Coldfeet: You're right, what snow? Maybe it's best to have this happen this winter.

And Big Earl: By BM you mean Big Mac, right? RIGHT?:D

Had a hernia two years ago. Didn't hurt, and I felt comfortable enough to still do some easy hikes while I waited for my surgery date to roll around.

When you talk to the surgeon make sure you discuss rehabilitation post-op. I didn't (and she forgot to go into it). Plus I was too squeamish to read about it on the web. It did not go smoothly because I overdid my exercise. Make sure your surgeon understands that you like to hike and are normally quite active. Ask how long rehap will take and precisely how much you can do when. I still get an occasional twinge that I probably shouldn't.

Also, avoid using any painkillers that may have constipation as a side effect. That's the last thing you want after abdominal surgery, believe me!

During the recovery, which was completely at home following day surgery, I remember learning the true meaning of fear with my first BM.

:eek:

Well, I was going to mention that to the OP as a potential source of humor :eek:, or not. Quite an experience, regardless.

I know there are different types of hernias, surgery and recovery. I was lucky to have been in good shape at the time. They did both sides laproscopically through 2 small incisions, one in my belly button. I'd imagine mine was a best possible experience. I didn't tell John about it because we had Rainier planned and I was just hoping to have the time to get back in shape.

I've had two c-sections. Do they count? Some similarities are the bulge in the belly and the pain afterwards and taking it easy with no heavy lifting for a while. Oh yes, and a scar.

And, back then at least, they insisted you "perform" before you went home, either on your own or with assistance. I faked it. :D "Oh, you didn't want me to flush?"

I haven't had any hernias so no advice there. Just wanted to post and say I love your blog and hope you get well soon!

Seems like the first few days will be bad, then a couple weeks of taking it easy, then maybe back into the swing of thing in March.

Your doctor will tell you how much you can do and when. You want to do "something" ASAP, but you certainly don't want to overdo it too soon either. Start slow, but start as soon as you can.

Bob - Thanks for the advice on the painkillers, I'll be sure to mention that to my doctor on Tuesday!

Sardog - Thanks :D

Chris - Glad you're feeling better! Two years, huh? I've read about complications after surgery. Hoping for the best!

Ellen - Yeah, I expect the first few days to be bad. The doctor himself said, "The first day you won't feel a thing, the second day you'll feel everything!" Ugh!