Grand Canyon - South Kaibab/Bright Angel Loop Day Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Just got back from the Grand Canyon after doing a loop hike to the Colorado. If you'd like to read the trip report captions under the photos, click on this link.

gc.jpg

Really nice report. I am taking my 4 year old on the same trip during the first week of March this year. Although, we'll be doing it over 4 days. We'll stay two nights at Phantom Ranch Campground and do a day hike from there. We can't wait and my little girl keeps talking about hiking in the Grand Canyon. It is nice to hear that microspikes worked well for you, because that was what we were planning to take to get off the rim safely. Nicely done.

Really nice report. I am taking my 4 year old on the same trip during the first week of March this year. Although, we'll be doing it over 4 days. We'll stay two nights at Phantom Ranch Campground and do a day hike from there. We can't wait and my little girl keeps talking about hiking in the Grand Canyon. It is nice to hear that microspikes worked well for you, because that was what we were planning to take to get off the rim safely. Nicely done.

Thanks. It's a low snow year in the SouthWest thus far, so the microspikes were just the ticket. You may know this already, but - call the BackCountry Center a few days before your trip to verify conditions.

Also - this weather site, along with this one, were useful for weather reports. And this webcam was also useful as it's a few miles east of the South Kaibab trailhead, and gives you a very similar view as that trail.

Incredible shots, actually got my son to pull his head out of the Wii to look too! (Actually he does a fair amount of hiking as you might expect, most in his Cub Scout Pack)

Very nice. I'm hoping to go there with the Mrs. in August. We won't be hiking 19 miles, of course, in August, but maybe down to Skeleton Point and back.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. It had been on my bucket list, but hadn't bubbled towards the top until I decided to move back East. At that point, I did the mental checklist - "What haven't I done in the West yet within a day or so drive" and this one jumped out.

I would do it again, even with a start in the dark. For the first hour or so the views don't change much, so you won't lose much in that regard. But, when the sun does come up, be ready to take pics as the light is very much better in the morning.

I hadn't been around mules much - horses and burros yes, but mules no. Was impressed by their size - nearly as big as horses.

That is impressive...most beautiful! :)

Great report and photos! We did the South Kaibab Trail in December 2005- spectacular!!!!

Nice trip! Curious as to what the temperatures were at various elevations.