Mt Hale, Complete! 1/28/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Picture-075-L.jpg

Nice to see I really can hit a 4000 footer in winter, now matter how easy others say it may be. This was a very spur of the moment trek, with my friend suggesting we hike it the day before. I was all about it, because I did not want to have Hale to be my 48th 4000 footer, and I will be winding down the list soon....at least numbers wise. Who knows how much longer it will take.

We hit Zealand Rd around 9:45am, after an extended preparing for the hike. It was not cold at all yesterday, 31 degrees! It sure beat the 10 degrees it was when I started Carter Notch last time!

Picture-002-L.jpg

The road wasn't bad walking along, at least in the AM when the snow was firm, and went fairly quickly. It took us just under an hour to make it to the actual trailhead for the Hale Brook Trail.

Nice views along the way
Picture-008-L.jpg

Heading up the Hale Brook trail, the climbing began fairly quickly, right after we crossed a small bridge. Overall, the steepness wasn't horrible, just quite consistent, mixed in with some switchbacks.

At the first major crossing, I thought it was gorgeous here.
Picture-016-L.jpg

A neat fungus tree
Picture-022-L.jpg

Soon, we crossed over a flat section of trail, but this was the roughest part for me, because it traversed that awful sideways snow, with a long drop off to the left. The trail corridor was super narrow, much too narrow for me to comfortably walk. I don't think there would have been too much danger if I had fallen down the side of the slope, but it wouldn't have been fun getting back up, because the snow was deep, and had a weird crust. Had I been alone, I might have turned around there. But I was with someone, so we very slowly picked our way along the side. It prob only took 5-10 min, but it seemed like an hour to me. But we made it and came across another stream crossing, and took a break there.

Then the switchbacks began in earnest. This is also where the rime ice took over on the trees. Skies were surprisingly sunny, so this added to the beautiful winter wonderland color.
Picture-042-L.jpg

After taking this pic, I broke into snow up to my waist here. There might not be much snow in a lot of New Eng, but the whites always find a way to get theirs.
Picture-052-L.jpg

Not 100 percent sure, but I think this is over towards the Willey Range.
Picture-057-L.jpg

Seeing the sneak a views along the trail to the summit, I think its a shame there is next to nothing for views from the top. They would be amazing. Anyways, I soon made my way to the top, and there was a large group of people about ready to head down. Off they went, and then there were a couple others hanging out with my friend and I. The sun was a great angle at this time (2pm) so it made for interesting lighting.

Picture-062-L.jpg

Picture-067-L.jpg

Picture-069-L.jpg

Picture-073-L.jpg

Back in a moment

Back

The weather on the summit, for the first few minutes, was beautiful. Before the clouds took over, there was no wind, and the temp was 29 degrees. Can you believe that, 29 degrees on a 4000 footer in mid January! I know it happens, but its still pretty rare to be up there when it is happening. Lucky us!

One more rimey picture

Picture-076-L.jpg

Soon, clouds took over on the summit, and the wind picked up, all in response to a weather short wave coming our way. That put a nice chill down my sweat soaked body, so it was time to head back. So off we went making amazing time for awhile. Then we caught up with some back country skiers, who said they had never skied along a trail before. It made for some interesting scenes because they were wiping out left and right. I assume they made it down no problem, because we saw their tracks the rest of the way down. I'm glad we were behind them the whole way. I've had experiences with skiers in the past on Tecumseh, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Before the sideways snow section, there was a GREAT view of Mt Washington thru the trees that I happened to miss earlier in the day.

Black n white
Picture-082-L.jpg

A more zoomed approach
Picture-083-L.jpg

Always magical, dangerous in winter, Mt Washington. I never tire of winter views of it.

We made it back to Zealand Rd around 4pm, or slightly after, and then picked our way back along the road to Rt 302. It seemed like it was mostly uphill for the first 2 miles! Probably because we had tired legs, and the snow had melted a bit thanks to above freezing temps. But by the time we went past the Sugarloaf trail junction, the snow on the road decreased and there was some nice ice for microspike walking. And before we knew it, it was all downhill back to the road.

I'm glad I found a way to hit Mt Hale before number 48. I've heard so many underwhelming things about this mountain in the past, but I'll never forget my experience up there, most likely because it was in the winter. I'll never forget the lighting at the top, and how the low sun angle hit the trees. It was gorgeous.

Hope you like the pics, and the report.
21232103_kMJ2cp

congrats on your first winter peak!! IMHO I find it easier (but slower) to travel up them in the winter I like how all the rocks are covered, and going down is much softer most of the time.

congrats on your first winter peak!! IMHO I find it easier (but slower) to travel up them in the winter I like how all the rocks are covered, and going down is much softer most of the time.

Thanks freighttrain! One thing though, this was my 4th winter 4000 footer, just the first one I've hit since 2008. I've done Hale, Tom, Tecumseh, and Pierce.

I agree about the time. No matter what the conditions, its always a slog up the mountain, and then a fun romp back down to the trailhead.

Great shots, and a nice story, too. When I hike I try to take shots that describe "why I hike" so that when I'm tired I'll have them to remind me.

Great shots - Hale gets a bad rap in my opinion. I think the woods on the mountain are very peaceful and beautiful in winter and it can have a remote feel to it depending on the day and approach. Great pic of the sun shining through the cloud circle at the summit...

Soon, we crossed over a flat section of trail, but this was the roughest part for me, because it traversed that awful sideways snow, with a long drop off to the left. The trail corridor was super narrow, much too narrow for me to comfortably walk. I don't think there would have been too much danger if I had fallen down the side of the slope, but it wouldn't have been fun getting back up, because the snow was deep, and had a weird crust. Had I been alone, I might have turned around there.
I was on a hike where someone slid off there in spite of having the narrowest snowshoes in the group. Fortunately we were on our way down, so they sort of angled back to the trail further along.

Awesome trip report and pictures Grouseking! What a pleasure to read and view. All your pictures were great, but I really liked the birch tree with Rime. Such an ordinary subject, but so well composed. I always have a hard time capturing trees.

Always magical, dangerous in winter, Mt Washington. I never tire of winter views of it.

Amen. When I did Hale in November, I was driving down the highway (Rt 3 I think) where Washington pops out of the trees right in front of you. I always forget about that spot and on this occasion I audibly gasped it was so beautiful in its cloak of winter white.

Congrats on Winter #4!