purchasing Kayak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hurricane Tracer is very nice but get as lite as you can afford

I have a 14 foot Perception Carolina myself and its awesome. The problem is its a tad heavy and with the ADKs rough Portages I would advise you to get as light a boat as you can afford. The Hurricane Kayaks are very nice. I'm in the process of making a Greenland Skin on Frame kayak right now. At 20 pounds they're very attractive.

Also get a really good paddle. I have the Werner Camano and love it.

There is an Impex Mystic at boston craigslist for 1000. It is a great boat if you can fit it. Lightweight and seaworthy.

Yup, about 43lbs being fiberglass. A few years ago, fiberglass prices shot through the roof as the Mystic, new shot up by like $400.. I got mine in 2004.. It's a great kayak for small people, because you don't want to be swimming in a sea kayak, if you want to be able to brace or roll effectively.

Jay

www.adirondack-guide-boat.com

Jay,
If I were you I would give this one a very close look.
Happy paddling to you.
Creag nan drochaid

Also something to consider.. if you are planing on multi day camping, equipment n staples are added weight so be sure to look at the max rated load of the boat? This can make a big difference in price as well.

Jay,
If I were you I would give this one a very close look.
Happy paddling to you.
Creag nan drochaid

Was that directed at me or the OP? I'd love to get a nice touring canoe too, but when I lived in NJ, a lot of my paddling consisted of sea kayaking and lakes with not a lot of portaging, but they sure are nice... I don't paddle as much now that I'm landlocked other than the lakes near me... at least right now.

Jay