purchasing Kayak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Now that I finished my 46 list I am looking to stay low this year. I would like to purchase a One person Kayak and do some of the smaller mountains that you have to boat to.

What brand is best? I am looking at around $1000 range.

alson what are some good hike to combine boating and hiking?

I'm also interested in this topic. I saw what appeared to be some pretty good deals at the LL Bean Outlet in Concord, NH, but I don't know if experienced kayakers would recommend them.

http://www.mountainmanoutdoors.com/events/adirondack-paddlefest

Check out the Mtnmain paddlefest on the lake at Old Forge, its a good way to find a nice kayak to paddle/hike with. $1000 will get you a nice kayak and gear...

The trails illustrated maps will show some of the hiking trails, but you can also check out the ADK paddler's map to find trails that connect to landing sites...

there are places around Cranberry lake that you can paddle to and hike (Cat mtn) and even Whiteface on the 46r list can be hiked via a paddle to Connery's landing. But you get the idea. Most of the big lakes have places where you can combine hiking and kayaking if you just look at the launch sites and hiking trails. Also consider like Lake George and some of the lakes outside the high peaks.

Jay

paddle/hike/climb options include:

Lake Lila - Mt Frederica
St Regis Canoe area - St Regis Mt
Lake Placid - Whiteface(as previously mentioned)
Blue Mountain Lake - Castle Rock

Long Lake north into the Cold River area is a good paddle/exploration area and some climbs could be had after a lengthy hike.

I'm not sure how far up the Chubb River can be paddled and at what time of year, but Street/Nye can be had from that direction.

Boats and hikes

Adk_dib,
The proper question for you to ask is not what brand(maker) of boat you want, it is what type of boat. You'll notice I have broadened the category. I did that because I sometimes camp out of my sea kayak. Here are some questions for you:
- How often do you expect to have to portage your boat?
- Do you plan to camp with gear from your boat, or at least bivy unplanned?
- How big a pack will you hike with?
- Total weight of yourself and all your gear?
- Will you paddle in wind waves, or stay ashore till calm returns?

I am thinking what you want is a boat that will get you and your gear across big lakes in wind waves safely, yet be light enough to carry quite some ways on a portage. Few kayaks fit the bill: they are heavier for a given L/W because they have decks and bulkheads. The fore and after holds have small hatches for watertightness, and cramming even an empty daypack in them is an adventure.
Thus I am thinking that what you may want is a canoe, about 15'Lx2'W, very little rocker, one seat low in the middle so you paddle with a kayak paddle, possibly a seatback that tips so you have the choice of paddling sitting or kneeling, nylon spray decks fore and aft that also cover your gear, which you stow to have 2/3 its weight aft of you and 1/3 forward of you. Check out the gear for whitewater canoeing, as some of those spraydecks also cover the cockpit with a coaming to go around you. Don't forget flotation to fill unused space. For a light weight boat you have a choice of fiberglass and the various composites. With a simpler boat than a kayak you can afford lighter weight materials for the same money.
Of course you'll choose for yourself, but the above may help focus your thoughts. Bon voyage/excelsior!

Now that I finished my 46 list I am looking to stay low this year. I would like to purchase a One person Kayak and do some of the smaller mountains that you have to boat to.

What brand is best? I am looking at around $1000 range.

alson what are some good hike to combine boating and hiking?

For $1000 you can get a nice kayak, but do you really need to spend that much....

The 14' Perception Carolina is a good all round boat .... and you should be able to get one used on craigslist

I agree with Jay. The mountainman kayak weekend in Old Forge is a great place to try out kayaks and paddles. Some yaks are tipper than other, some sit high in the water, some sit low, cockpits are different, some are easier to paddle than others. I bought mine there several years ago and appreciated trying out many different kayaks and paddles. Being comfortable in your boat and having it handle well is important if you are going to be out all day long or doing multi day trips. There are also gear suppliers there so you can look at getting your PFD, spray skirt, hatch cover etc at the same time.

Craigslist! Huge numbers of folks, purchase kayaks that collect dust in the garage. Expect to pay 1/4 to 1/2 of the new price of a kayak that has been used very little. Often the seller will throw in the paddle, paddle float and life jacket.

Which brand is best is always open for debate. Better to decide on whether you want a touring, sea kayak, sit on top, recreational, and what type of construction material (wood, fiberglass, carbon fiber, rotomolded polypropylene are the basic choices)

Last edited:
I bought a sweet 14 foot kayak made by a company I had never heard of. The price was right and I wanted something to grab for a quick paddle near my home, while my superior kayak was stored out of state. I was surprised by how well it handled, so there goes my former theory of picking a name brand. My suggestions: Know what kind of paddling you are most likely to do. Pick a boat you can "grow" into skill-wise. Try a variety of manufacturers before you purchase, as fit is not always the same. I guess, in other words, it is much like purchase of boots or packs.

You wear a kayak, therefore you need to start with your height and weight and then choose the kayak that might be be in your size range. Then you sit in it and hopefully paddle it and make sure you can last at least 2 hours without getting out.

A grand will barely get you by if you add all the accessories needed to be properly outfitted.

Last edited:
Too bad you are looking now instad of the end of summer when the big stores sell of their rental fleets. EMS had some great boats for almost notihng. A Tsunami 14' EMS used as a rental for one season... reg $1450 new, was $600! :eek:

So find a good boat that fits your fancy by trying em at the shows, rent, then buy. EMS rental is $40 for a weekend, that includes everything you need.

Also EMS has a deal that your rentals will go twards your purchase.

I assumed the going rate was around $1000 for a good one. If I can get a good one for $500 great.

when is the paddlefest?

"Adirondack Paddlefest 2012 is coming May 18-20!"

You can get a decent plastic kayak + gear for $1000, might not really want to be doing a lot of portaging, but if you're hiking and leaving the kayak at the launch sites, then you probably don't want anything too fancy. You can certainly find some great bargains after the main paddling season too as Paul states.

I got my Impex Mystic at a paddleshow in central NJ.. Then I bought a used Dagger that I kind of have as a spare/beater.

Jay

Long Pond Mountain is a true paddler's mountain. No advice on kayaks.

There is an Impex Mystic at boston craigslist for 1000. It is a great boat if you can fit it. Lightweight and seaworthy.

"Adirondack Paddlefest 2012 is coming May 18-20!"

You can get a decent plastic kayak + gear for $1000, might not really want to be doing a lot of portaging, but if you're hiking and leaving the kayak at the launch sites, then you probably don't want anything too fancy. You can certainly find some great bargains after the main paddling season too as Paul states.

I got my Impex Mystic at a paddleshow in central NJ.. Then I bought a used Dagger that I kind of have as a spare/beater.

Jay

I have a featherlite 12 from Heritage Kayaks. Heritage is no longer in business so new ones are out.

It is a good all-around kayak that is easily portaged (49 pounds) and is good on the ocean as well as ponds and lakes. Has hatches with covers that allow for storage of gear for camping and has lashings over the bow that can hold more gear. It is a sit-in kayak and is too long for running any real rapids. It can feel slightly cramped on the legs if you are taller - I'm 5'10 and find it fine.

You may be able to find a used one but here's the catch - this kayak was designed well until sometime around 2007ish...something changed that caused later models to not track well. This is not as issue with older models - mine is from 2004 and I love it. The Feather lite 9.5 has received good reviews as well although I cannot speak from experience on the shorter version.

I got mine several years ago from the LLBean outlet in Conway, and let's just say I'm pretty sure it was mismarked :eek::cool:. Prices are typically 35% off catalog, but I got my 14' women's Calypso with rudder for under $500 and it retails for about a grand in the catalog. It is a great little boat; absolutely perfect for me in that it's very light and I knew I would be typically hauling it alone. They have a pretty good assortment and the prices are nice, especially when the boats that end up there are often bought and returned for reasons having nothing to do with quality. Others end up there because they are "seconds", which might mean the color specs were wrong or decals were put on upside down. It's a good place to check out and the website gives very detailed features on all of the boats they sell.

Good luck and have fun this spring; I know I will!

Many good ideas already suggested, just throwing in mine.

I first bought a used 17ft poly touring boat, loats of fun, 64lbs to carry :(

then when my 17ft boat got stuck in a narrow creek I became a "strainer" and went out the next day and bought a new 12ft poly boat :) around 52lbs

Now I bought a pack boat that paddles like a kayak :D shhhh 24lbs

All 3 work great but I use them for different places, in no way am I an expert and I always go out with a buddy especially in cold weather for safety reasons.
I have packed each one for overnight trips and when "carries" are not needed my "IRON SKILLET" is used for some great dinners! (Ask JayH)

Enjoy and work on the ADK paddle patch!
ps, I always wear my life jacket, you don't get a 2nd chance sometimes :rolleyes: