Planned Hikes Next Week, 2/6, 2/7, & 2/11/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Sue and I have a good week of hikes coming up starting 2/6…..

Monday, 2/6/2012: Washington and a couple neighbors

We plan to hike a loop of Jefferson – Washington – Monroe from Marshfield Station. Due to the current forecast we are planning to hike the loop clockwise (up Jewell, down Ammonoosuc Ravine).

Tuesday, 2/7/2012: Madison and Adams

We’ll hike this pair from Appalachia trailhead most likely via Valley Way plus the usual stuff on the ridge.

Saturday, 2/11/2012: Hale and Cabot Double Hit & Run

On Saturday we’ll get an early start and visit Hale first by way of the Fire Warden’s Trail. Hopefully, that will be finished early enough to have a lunch on-the-run to the Berlin Hatchery and a hike to Cabot. I’m pretty sure this day will have headlights on each end.

Is anybody interested?

We hike a moderate pace, which is around book time or a little more.

If you’re interested in joining the fun or have any questions, please respond to this thread or by PM.

:cool:

if anything gets moved to Wednesday, let me know.
I'm pretty sure the schedule won't change, sorry. Monday & Tuesday are vacation days for Sue.

Yeah, I know - Sue was just on vacation last week. What can I say? Sue has been at UPS - forever.

Saturday, well - it's Saturday. Sue and I hike on Saturday.

:)

may have to join you on tuesday if the forcast is nice
If the forecast isn't compatible with Madison and Adams we have some "Plan B" targets in the area that will most likely tolerate less than ideal conditions. The change would be easy and the timing would still be good.

;)

I'll most likely be in Tuesday if higher summits says so.;) Would you be interested in ascending Lowes and descending Valley? I would think Lowes is pretty well broken with all the RMC huts up there.

I'll most likely be in Tuesday if higher summits says so.;) Would you be interested in ascending Lowes and descending Valley? I would think Lowes is pretty well broken with all the RMC huts up there.
Hey Joe,

Yeah, a little variety is always nice. Adams first and then Madison.... Sure.

Lets see if we can nail it down on Sunday. I'm heading to bed now. If you can verify the trail status that would be great. Otherwise, I'll dig into it on Sunday morning.

;)

Sounds like quite the week! Can't join the fun, but do have a question. We're planning on doing Cabot next week (Monday) and I'm unclear what the situation is with the Fish Hatchery gate in the winter. Since you're planning to finish by headlight I'm assuming that it's not closed at 4pm (if at all).

Also, does anyone have any intel on the conditions of the loop with Unknown Pond, Kilkenny Ridge, Bunnell Notch? Have found plenty of recent post on NETC for the Cabot out and back but nothing for the loop.

Sounds like quite the week! Can't join the fun, but do have a question. We're planning on doing Cabot next week (Monday) and I'm unclear what the situation is with the Fish Hatchery gate in the winter. Since you're planning to finish by headlight I'm assuming that it's not closed at 4pm (if at all).

Also, does anyone have any intel on the conditions of the loop with Unknown Pond, Kilkenny Ridge, Bunnell Notch? Have found plenty of recent post on NETC for the Cabot out and back but nothing for the loop.

Did Cabot 10 days ago. We finshed about 5 pm and the gate was open and buried deep in the snow. Don't think you have to worry it closing. One of my hiking partners mentioned that they don't close it in the winter. The Kilkenny Trail north of Cabot, which connects with the Unknown Pond Trail was not broken out at the time.

Marty

The weather kept us off The Presidentials yesterday and today. We improvised.

Did Cabot yesterday after Hale. It looks like the loop past Cabot is drifted in, but the trail near the cabin and leading to the summit was drifted in as well. I'm sorry but we did an out-and-back, can't comment on the loop past Cabot summit.

As I understand it, the gate is usually left open currently. I called there a while back and posted the information at that time. We came out late yesterday (~8:30pm) and the gate was open.

Enjoy your hike.

The weather kept us off The Presidentials yesterday and today. We improvised.

Did Cabot yesterday after Hale. It looks like the loop past Cabot is drifted in, but the trail near the cabin and leading to the summit was drifted in as well. I'm sorry but we did an out-and-back, can't comment on the loop past Cabot summit.

As I understand it, the gate is usually left open currently. I called there a while back and posted the information at that time. We came out late yesterday (~8:30pm) and the gate was open.

Enjoy your hike.

Thanks Earl. Good to know that we don't have a time constraint. I'm sure the out and back is the way we'll go so all's good. Sounds like you guys had a great day yesterday!