Cascade, Cascade, maybe Porter, Feb. 5, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSpruce

Reaction score
Alex in a peak bagging mood, Tony for the ride and myself for... well not sure exactly... headed to Cascade and Porter. Young Microspikes or full crampons were a necessity from the get-go unless one is a figure skater or a gymnast, even though it’s not that bad. A few inches of snow at the trailhead, a foot or two at 4000’ and just enough on the trees to enjoy the scenery. Summit proper of Cascade was a mix of bare rocks and slick ice a few climbers found challenging. The trail itself, on its entire length, is an icy ribbon covered by one tenth of an inch of snow which descending gave little chance to enjoy the landscape! We have, several times during the past decade found ourselves on that mountain with deep fresh snow and just about the only ones wearing snowshoes and frustrated by the postholers, today a majority attempted to climb in snowshoes... go figure.
While Alex and Tony headed to Porter which offered much of the same trail conditions taking my sweet time I went directly to Cascade. Was disappointed upon reaching the windy and cold summit to find out the sun was gone and distant views practically inexistent. I figured then I would go to Porter, why not? It’s there. By the time I reached the intersection not only Alex and Tony were back from Porter, even though it seemed it had taken them forever, but the sun as well. Of course back I went to Cascade and found a sunny summit and views of countless High Peaks! Tomorrow morning I am writing to the 46Rs Historian Office to find out if two Cascades can count as a Cascade and Porter climb?