Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: VFTT in transition

PMs will be migrated along with all posts and all avatars. The one thing I will attempt to fix manually that will not happen automatically is hard-coded links to posts on the old domain. If you used the [thread] BB code for linking, it will work. If you copied and pasted the address bar, it will not.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    New domain name is ( it will be a pleasant surprise ).
    Ah! Excellent choice. It's certainly better than ROT.com

Well....talk about being late to the party...

I had the intention of being the person to break all of this news, but word broke and the mods jumped in to cover me as usual. So...he is my day late, dollar short story...

First off, it has been 18+ years (not 16) that I have been running Views From The Top. I just wanted to set that record straight. Over the years, I have often referred to this site as "my baby". I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think that I am abandonning a minor. The site is an adult now so it can go off on its own.

After 18 years, it is tough for me to just hand over the site, but I know that it is the best thing I can do for the site. I am sure a lot of you have noticed that I have been pretty scarce around these parts for the last few years. I just do not have the time to work on the site anymore. I have run out of the energy it takes to keep up with software upgrades, database backups, domain registrations, and creating accounts and moderating the forums and everything else that goes with it. After nearly 2 decades, there is just no fun in it anymore. If not for the tireless help of Dave and Alan doing the moderation, I honestly probably would have shut the site down a long time ago. So I would like to thank both of them for all of their help over the years.

If the site were to go on someone had to step up and take over the techie work. Tim (bikehikeskifish) stepped up to the plate and ran with it. Props to him for getting the new domain set up with the latest version of vbulletin forum software and migrating the database so no information was lost.

As we talked about site transition, I cautioned Dave, Alan, and Tim about money. The bills seem small enough on their own ($200 for vbulletin, $40 a month for hosting etc) but they all add up over time. $500 - $600 a year for a couple of decades turns into $10,000 without you realizing it. They will be looking into ways of making VFTT self sustaining - donations, fee for "sustaining member" status, etc. Of course I'd like to see the site remain advertisement free, but I'm stepping away and it will be up to them to determine the best possible way to keep the site going. I will however at this time ask you, the site users, to help support them. The site is a community and as such everyone in the community has a responsibiity to sustain it.

I don't have kids, but I guess when a parent sends their 18 year old off to college one thought that comes to mind is "man...where did the time go?" It's hard for me to believe that it has been this long. Back in 1994 I never woud have thought that someone would be sitting in a tent surfing the site on their iphone in 2012. Despite all the technical changes that the site has undergone, one thing has always remained a constant on VFTT - the quality of the members. Sure there have been some real boneheads on here from time to time but in the vast majority of cases, it has been an absolute pleasure to meet so many of the great members on this site.

I would like to give a special "aloha" to my long term friends here on the site. You guys know who you are - the 10 to 15+ year crew and the Cherry Mtn Rd crew. You guys are the best. I would also like to thank everyone who has donated to the Brain Tumor Society over the years. The generocity of the members here never ceased to amaze me. It has always been nice for me to know that this site has been able to give back to society.

Aloha,

- darren
    Kūlia i ka nu‘u

Darren,

A lot of people have been asking about you. Here on VFTT and in PMs and emails. We knew you'd come to say goodbye.
    I was thinking about what you said about letting go of something you'd built and nurtured and I know it wasn't easy.

You set a standard of excellent for an online forum, beginning this years before others that followed. We'll miss your visits, but hope you'll check in from time to time and say hello.

Alan
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Thank you Darren....

Good luck Darren,I never met you but your site is great and your love of nature even better!Happy trails!
    ne67/n.e.h.h.31/100w

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Darren, thanks for all you've done!

I can relate, Views and Brews is a labor of love. I pay for yearly bills, patches, and promote and maintain the site more than I ever thought I would when I started it. It's only been 8 years for me.

18 years is a long time to be doing anything, especially when you consider the state of the internet in 1994!

I plan to offer some financial support, and I hope everyone will consider that as well. A Dollar a greenie? Oh wait a minute!

Huge thanks again, and we hope you are not a complete stranger!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    Yes, thanks so much, Darren. You created something really powerful, there’s no question of that in my mind.

Best of luck to you, and to the new management, too.

Darren - I'm not sure whether to thank you or hunt you down, afterall, I met my husband here :-)

In all seriousness - you have created a wonderful community here for all of us crazy hikers for whom, many in our everyday lives can't possibly fathom what it is we see in long, arduous, sweaty, buggy, muddy, wet cold days in the mountains!

Here we gather to share not just beta (which is plentiful and trustworthy) but also to share friendship, laughter, mutual understanding and sometimes just the connection that comes from experiencing something larger than ourselves out there in the "wild".

It's been great meeting you and getting to know you a little. I hope now that your time here will be unencumbered - that you will share with us your pictures and adventures....one of us, you ARE on of us!

Thanks for all you have given to make VFtT happen.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    New domain name is ( it will be a pleasant surprise ).
    I like the new domain. I would just recomend that someone affiliated with this site maintains ownership of the old domain indefinetly. There are people who make good money buying up old domains with good google ratings and visibility, and then use them to sell links (hot linking) to others with not such good content or search engine visibility.
    Save NH Moose!
    MY BLOG

Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
    Yesterday I drafted a long-winded, gushy post about what VFTT has meant to me. Then I lost it when I got interrupted by work stuff (how dare they!) and accidentally closed the browser window. So, here is my abbreviated version:

I agree most strongly with Stan's earlier post. I hope VFTT remains non-commercial. I think making it commercial would be the demise of the community. VFTT has always had, for me, a certain je ne sais quoi that has made it such a great resource. Count me in as another member who would be happy to contribute to keep this site ad-free. I think a basic membership, or annual campaign could go a long way. Who owns the new site and where does the money go, are questions whose answers need to continue to be transparent.

Though I haven't been much of a contributor in the last few years, save for some periodic curmudgeon, VFTT has been an integral part of the adventurous side of my life for about 13 years. I've made quite a few lifelong friendships here. My fondest memories include a burning sandal in Eustis, tequila with Stan after Mt. Snow, ramblings at the Brokedown Palace, sharing trail breaking duties on the Tracy Horse Trail with two of the happiest people I know on a very difficult day, pina coladas at South Branch Pond, bagging E. Turner the hard way, Cone Monsters, boulder-strewn glades, and climbing the Chimney.

My heartfelt thanks go to you, Darren, for inspiring and leading this community through the years. I hope whatever has been taking all your time has been rewarding for you!

...and now thanks go to Dave, Alan, and Tim for carrying the torch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100-0095_IMG_JPG.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	3540  

Quote Originally Posted by surf88 View Post
    I like the new domain. I would just recomend that someone affiliated with this site maintains ownership of the old domain indefinetly. There are people who make good money buying up old domains with good google ratings and visibility, and then use them to sell links (hot linking) to others with not such good content or search engine visibility.
    Darren wishes to retain ownership of the old domain for his photography. Not much I/we can do about that. I'll mention that should ever discard it, to contact us first.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Spencer,

No decisions have been made re advertising.

Our first goal was to get the site upgraded and moved...Done.
    Next is the ongoing support....In progress.

Only time will tell how if we can pay for the server without having to do an annual 'fund drive'. Thats a PITA for the members and for the mods.
    Right now, we'd like to keep VFTT as close to how it was operating yesterday.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

The Best...

Thanks to the ongoing crew, Tim and Darren. I could never measure the enjoyment of using this site, supporting it and making such life-long friendships with those I have met and those I have yet to meet!

Talk about changes... I look back at VFTT (~17-yrs) and know that many changes have been made (mostly on purpose ) and the site has only gotten better. I'm sure this will continue and hope that all members will join me in an earnest support of this site.

Congrats to all, thanks to everyone and especially Darren, who ain't bowing out of anyone's lives!!
    You only live once... but, if you do it right, once is enough!
    animus non integritatem sed facinus cupit
    "The heart wills not purity but adventure" (R J Waller, A Thousand Country Miles)

I agree with previous postings of praise. This site has made a huge (tremendous!) impact in my life. It came at a point I was making some serious changes to my life and my gratitude is inexhaustible, even as I struggle up some of those headwall type peaks.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

A BIG Mahalo darren, with moist eyes and best wishes for you and yours!
    " by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in.."- From the letter of my great uncle Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry) to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

LIVE FREE OR DIE - DEATH IS NOT THE GREATEST OF EVILS
    Gen. John Stark July 1809