Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I go skiing this weekend?

Where should I go skiing this weekend?

I haven't skied this year, and haven't even given any thought to skiing this year. That means that other than a general sense that there's no great snow anywhere, I really haven't followed any ski conditions.

However, I have the weekend free. Where in New England (striking distance from Boston) will I find the best snow this coming weekend for some basic resort skiing? I can't digest all the websites, but I need to pick a place. Jay Peak is a contender, as is Sunday River. If snow is mediocre everywhere, I also like the idea of closer/smaller/cheaper with maybe Sunapee or Cannon.

Please give me some suggestions!

Heard yesterday from someone who boarded this past weekend at Jay and he said it was great.

I skiied Bretton Woods this past Saturday - also my first time out this year- conditions were nice - about five inches of fresh powder on top of hardpacked granular. Some glades were open but we didn't dip in. Natural trails (Jacobs Ladder, Aggaziz) were a bit bare and scratchy in spots but fun.
    Wambuek and Bodie's Run were the trails of the day!
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Your best bet is northern VT, from Stowe north to Jay.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

There are several websites that collect conditions reports from multiple ski areas:
    * US: http://www.snocountry.com/
    * NH: http://www.skinh.com/
    * ME: http://www.skimaine.com/
    * VT: http://www.skivermont.com/
    (Google finds lots more...)

FWIW, I skied at Wachusett about two weeks ago (midweek). Conditions were pretty good even though it was all man-made snow. Even remembered how to ski after a year off!

Doug

spoke to someone yesterday who spent a weekend in Stowe and said they have winter up there. :-)
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

If you go to Jay, not only do you get to ski, but you can hit the water park, too. How about this ride???
    http://www.necn.com/02/05/12/Tim-Kel...g_weather.html

ps - the Foundry, in the new Hotel Jay, is a fine pub with good pub food. Alice's Table, in the Tram Haus, is a seriously good restaurant. Make a reservation. The food was excellent.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Jay has two achilles heels in my book: a) really far for a weekend, and b) no hot tubs. I'm not interested in a water park - I'm trying to get away from kids, not be surrounded by them! I finally got off my butt and called about this - nearest hot tub to the mountain is about 15 minutes away at this place:
    http://www.theblacklanterninn.com/
    anyone been?

The Inglenook Lodge was the best place to stay. Only 5 minutes away, with indoor hot tub, swimming pool, the best bar with a circular fireplace surrounded by couches, breakfast and dinner included. You basically could come back from skiing, put on flannel pajamas, go to the bar, "rehydrate" around the fire, then grab a hot soak, throw on comfies for a big meal in the dining room, then back to the bar, I mean fireplace, for the evening.

Alas, they are no longer open, the facility is now the North American Hockey Academy. I strongly doubt they still have a liquor license, and probably don't want me in the hot tub, either.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    If you go to Jay, not only do you get to ski, but you can hit the water park, too.
    And the Pumphouse wine they serve is excellent. (It's my BIL's wine)
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Bolton Valley VT. Choose either groomed alpine or lift-served backcountry all from the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMariachi View Post
    Jay has two achilles heels in my book: a) really far for a weekend, and b) no hot tubs. I'm not interested in a water park - I'm trying to get away from kids, not be surrounded by them! I finally got off my butt and called about this - nearest hot tub to the mountain is about 15 minutes away at this place:
    http://www.theblacklanterninn.com/
    anyone been?
    Yes but only in the summer. And I think the owners have changed. We stayed a couple of nights about four years ago. Rooms were very comfortable, the food was excellent. Inn was on the main road as it left Montgomery Center. If I were going to Jay again I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

You might not get a hot tub, as its up to the owners to have one, much less allow guests to use it, but the Village Condos ≈at Jay are relatively inexpensive for a group and really, really nice. Ski-in, ski-out always does it for me: ours was on Rabbit Run directly next to the Village Chairlift, and would sleep up to 10 with everyone in a bed (bedrooms were a king, 2-twin, queen, and 4-bunk). It's also walkable to the base if you don't mind a little blind navigation and accidental bushwhacking.

As for this weekend, however, I'm thinking Park City.

not stowe. that place is horrible.....