Where should I go skiing this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindlessMariachi

Reaction score
I haven't skied this year, and haven't even given any thought to skiing this year. That means that other than a general sense that there's no great snow anywhere, I really haven't followed any ski conditions.

However, I have the weekend free. Where in New England (striking distance from Boston) will I find the best snow this coming weekend for some basic resort skiing? I can't digest all the websites, but I need to pick a place. Jay Peak is a contender, as is Sunday River. If snow is mediocre everywhere, I also like the idea of closer/smaller/cheaper with maybe Sunapee or Cannon.

Please give me some suggestions!

Heard yesterday from someone who boarded this past weekend at Jay and he said it was great.

I skiied Bretton Woods this past Saturday - also my first time out this year- conditions were nice - about five inches of fresh powder on top of hardpacked granular. Some glades were open but we didn't dip in. Natural trails (Jacobs Ladder, Aggaziz) were a bit bare and scratchy in spots but fun.
Wambuek and Bodie's Run were the trails of the day!

spoke to someone yesterday who spent a weekend in Stowe and said they have winter up there. :)

Jay has two achilles heels in my book: a) really far for a weekend, and b) no hot tubs. I'm not interested in a water park - I'm trying to get away from kids, not be surrounded by them! I finally got off my butt and called about this - nearest hot tub to the mountain is about 15 minutes away at this place:
http://www.theblacklanterninn.com/
anyone been?

The Inglenook Lodge was the best place to stay. Only 5 minutes away, with indoor hot tub, swimming pool, the best bar with a circular fireplace surrounded by couches, breakfast and dinner included. You basically could come back from skiing, put on flannel pajamas, go to the bar, "rehydrate" around the fire, then grab a hot soak, throw on comfies for a big meal in the dining room, then back to the bar, I mean fireplace, for the evening.

Alas, they are no longer open, the facility is now the North American Hockey Academy. I strongly doubt they still have a liquor license, and probably don't want me in the hot tub, either.
:(

Bolton Valley VT. Choose either groomed alpine or lift-served backcountry all from the same area.

Jay has two achilles heels in my book: a) really far for a weekend, and b) no hot tubs. I'm not interested in a water park - I'm trying to get away from kids, not be surrounded by them! I finally got off my butt and called about this - nearest hot tub to the mountain is about 15 minutes away at this place:
http://www.theblacklanterninn.com/
anyone been?

Yes but only in the summer. And I think the owners have changed. We stayed a couple of nights about four years ago. Rooms were very comfortable, the food was excellent. Inn was on the main road as it left Montgomery Center. If I were going to Jay again I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

You might not get a hot tub, as its up to the owners to have one, much less allow guests to use it, but the Village Condos ≈at Jay are relatively inexpensive for a group and really, really nice. Ski-in, ski-out always does it for me: ours was on Rabbit Run directly next to the Village Chairlift, and would sleep up to 10 with everyone in a bed (bedrooms were a king, 2-twin, queen, and 4-bunk). It's also walkable to the base if you don't mind a little blind navigation and accidental bushwhacking.

As for this weekend, however, I'm thinking Park City. ;)

Just to be clear, at 1:48 this person crosses beyond the ski area boundary. Most people won't be out there (I believe that was the far side of Timbuktu) where the untracked snow was, but will be dealing with conditions like the first glade, Buckaroo Banzai: packed and tracked.

Still, I'm not complaining; the Jay peak tree skiing was awesome two weeks ago, the day after it *poured* rain all afternoon. It's a magical place. :)

Just to be clear, at 1:48 this person crosses beyond the ski area boundary. Most people won't be out there (I believe that was the far side of Timbuktu) where the untracked snow was, but will be dealing with conditions like the first glade, Buckaroo Banzai: packed and tracked.

Still, I'm not complaining; the Jay peak tree skiing was awesome two weeks ago, the day after it *poured* rain all afternoon. It's a magical place. :)

He went into timbuk3 keep going right for timbuk4( too far and your walking the acess road) IMHO jay is worth the drive if the wind is low. They are supposed to get snow tomorrow night as well but the weather is looking to be very cold saturday.