Any nice hikes in the Tug Hill area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis

Reaction score
I have a friend who is anxious to use his snowshoes but since Tugg Hill seems to be the only place with actual snow he wants to head there to try them out. I've done a lot XC skiing in that area but I don't know of any hiking trails. I hear theres one called Gleasans Falls?

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
Mike
46RW #421 Winter.

I have a friend who is anxious to use his snowshoes but since Tugg Hill seems to be the only place with actual snow he wants to head there to try them out. I've done a lot XC skiing in that area but I don't know of any hiking trails. I hear theres one called Gleasans Falls?

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
Mike
46RW #421 Winter.
Watch out for snowmobiles. As Tug Hill being the only area with any snow to speak of in the state they are running wild and they concentrate there especially now like black flies to fresh meat. Two weekends ago 3 riders were killed by their own actions. Of course they are not supposed to be on designated X-C ski trails, but that hasn't stopped them before, plus they run the the same public roads that regular vehicles run on pretty hard. Their trails, the few that are currently open, are all hard packed ice at this time.

Having said that, there are only 3 real X-C ski possibilities, Winona, Barnes Corners, and the Carpenter Road. See the DEC website here for directions and description. However, unless we get some more snow I'd say as of today it is not worth the trip.

In normal times I'd also recommend Boonville area BREIA trails for excellent skiing. All free and professionally groomed with warming huts (when there is snow - but not now).

Snowshoes are allowed on the X-C trails as long as you stay off and parallel to to the groomed X-C tracks. Most anything on Tug Hill that you might think of as a pure hiking trail and not identified as a X-C trail would also be a snowmobile trail at this time.

Gleasman's Falls is in the Independence River Wild Forest area, not Tug Hill - no snow there now either.

Last edited:
I live about 2 mins from the BREIA trail system. They are amazing for skiing and snowshoeing. Unfortunately, winter conditions here in Boonville are not up to snuff. I was on the trails last nite and there is about 2 inches of hard packed snow. Was skiing on Carpenter Road system last weekend and it was decent...the folks that weren't skiing were barebooting as the trails are minimally covered. Gleasman Falls may be your best bet (and they are beautiful!). Hope this helps :)

Whetstone Gulf State park is a nice place to hike.
Check the following link for information
http://adirondackstughill.com/whetstonegulf.php
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that one. Nice 5 mile loop hike around a very deep gorge. But be careful in the winter for icing conditions, as the trail is in places along the very edge of an impressive vertical drop of several hundred feet. A portion of the Barnes Corners XC ski trail goes along the rim of Inman Gulf, a very similar precipice trail like Whetstone.

But be careful in the winter for icing conditions, as the trail is in places along the very edge of an impressive vertical drop of several hundred feet.

Especially if there is fresh snow covering the hard pack that is there now.