Au Revoir, Resolution Shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another shame (in my opinion) :(

when will it end..... when the last evidence of wo/man is gone....

and wo/man is gone.....

IMO, Resolution was a pretty crappy shelter and there are much better camping alternatives nearby. This is one I didn't shed a tear for.

Yes, Dave, it was an interesting article and helpful especially for those of us who hated to see it go to know more about the reasons for the decision, like the fact that it was slipping off it's ledge and that there are other options not too far away.

Overall, though, I felt sadness. I felt that the statement about the spur trail being eroded was lame. As population increases, I believe authorities who make these decisions should be thinking how to better serve rather than how to take away.

IMO, Resolution was a pretty crappy shelter and there are much better camping alternatives nearby. This is one I didn't shed a tear for.
It would be nice if they did something along the lines of Wild River area where when they removed the shelters they put in nice, primitive tentpads.

-Dr. Wu

I went up the Davis path this past summer. I believe they have decided to move any tentsites to the top of Stairs mtn. There were a couple unofficial sites up there, but now one of those small square wooden signs with tent shape carved in it- is at the beginning of the Stairs Mtn spur trail. There are 2 decent sites up there, but no tent platforms. I went through there a couple years ago and don't remember seeing the tent sign......

Petch

It was a crappy shelter but, it was the first I ever went to. It had sentimental appeal to me. The box for bathroom activity was as dangerous and as overfilled as anything I had ever seen and water was difficult to get at times. Still, I'll be sorry to see it go. I have used the tent sites above on the ledges many times and it is hundreds times nicer IMHO, but still, I'm sorry its gone.

Keith

I went up the Davis path this past summer. I believe they have decided to move any tentsites to the top of Stairs mtn.
Those are official backcountry campsites, and have been there for at least a decade. The signs have been there for a while, but they are easy to miss. There are official spots all along that trail.

When I started backpacking in the early 80's, I enjoyed using the shelters, but as time went on and I bought a tent, that was it for me. I like the privacy of a tent and the no bugs thing helps alot as well. I can see old shelters being removed, kind of like moving on and all. That being said its the bridges that bother me, ie. wilderness trail suspension bridge. imo, biggest mistake the forest service has made in 50 years in the whites.

Pat and I spent two leaky, mousy nights at Resolution Shelter when we were new to backpacking, and in the rain it was a palace for us and our dog Clio. We were still taking a half hour to get a tent set up back then. Add a wet pup to that and I'd have quit that hobby!

I can understand the emotional attachment people have to shelters- I too have a lot of emotional attachment to the Adirondack Lean-to. The Catlin Bay Lean-to on the Northville-Placid trail will always be important to me as it was the first place I ever camped out on a backcountry trip in, back in February of 2002. I've also made it one of my goals to spend a night in every Lean-to in the Adirondack park.

I can also understand, though, the hesitancy on the part of land managers to include shelters in their management of recreation resources. Lean-tos and shelters are huge impact magnets. And it makes sense- most of us would much rather camp in a shelter than set up a tent elsewhere. It's a lot less work. Compared to other ways of managing backcountry recreation, having a lean-to or shelter is like setting off an atom bomb in the woods when it comes to the amount of measurable impact. Shelters are certainly something that land managers need to think long and hard about before they can justify their inclusion in management.

Trail shelters had their place, when we used canvas tents. In this day of lightweight tents, trail shelters are not nearly as much a necessity. Shelters are expensive to build and maintain. I think the money, time, and effort could be better spent with improved tent sites. But, tradition keeps them going.

That being said, nothing beats a dry shelter on a rainy night.

Hi Petch,
We camped on Stairs Mt in August 2005 & the little tent sign was there then.

I remember this because one visitor to the summit was REALLY upset that we had our tent ready to set up in that tent site near the ledge.
& I told him it was indeed an official tent-site & to check out the little wooden tent sign near the start of the spur trail.

anyway it is a beautiful spot to watch the sun set!

I stayed at Resolution shelter once and it reminded me of a bear’s lunchbox, because if a bear came to the front, you were basically lunch.

Mad River, I am not sure if you were around for the Desolation shelter. That was prime bear territory and good old Brutus or his kin would rush the front of the shelter, and grab packs from inside the shelter whether occupied or not and then drag the booty off into the woods to eat the contents. They were quite reliable and worked a three day circuit between franconia falls, thoreau falls and desolation.

The forest service seemed to use Brutus and family as a backcountry management tool until the clan started raiding cars at the then new Lincoln woods parking lot.

Pat and I spent two leaky, mousy nights at Resolution Shelter when we were new to backpacking, and in the rain it was a palace for us and our dog Clio. We were still taking a half hour to get a tent set up back then. Add a wet pup to that and I'd have quit that hobby!

The mice were legendary. I had a roll of toilet paper I left out as community TP. It was absolutely shredded overnight.

I also have gone to tents/tarps/hammocks sierra. I stay away from shelters now and have for years. It is my intention to get away from people, not congregate with them when I go camping. ;)

Keith