Tom and Field via Avalon, A-Z, and Willey Range Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Date of Hike: February 9, 2012

Trail Conditions: All trails were clear, easy to follow, and well packed. There were a couple of short sections with minor drifting, and also some icy patches, particularly in the steep gully on the A-Z Trail and on the steep portion of the Avalon Trail between Mt Avalon and the A-Z Trail junction.

Special Equipment Required: I would say that some sort of traction was necessary. I used snowshoes all day (I was trying out a new pair of MSR Lightning Ascents - I lost one of my older Denali Ascents last year). I don't think that microspikes would have provided enough grip in the aforementioned icy patches, especially on the descent, but crampons would have worked well.

Comments: The weather and views were perfect. I was glad to get in a hike before the next snowfall made trailbreaking necessary. The Lightning Ascents worked well. They grip better than the Denali Ascents, but as they were slightly longer, I had a little trouble with the trails crossing as I tend to walk with my feet turned slightly out.

Name: Paul Fiore
E-mail address: [email protected]

Last edited: