Washington?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
HI all...been out of hiking for a while and really looking forward to getting back at it.

We are FINALLY gonna be able to do some hiking this weekend...and will be bringing a friend who "loves" to hike but hasn't ever really done anything in the Presis...we wanna take him to washington...show him what REALY hiking is all about.

Anyway, haven't seen much activitiy about Washington and are wondering if there is a reason no ones been up...or are they just being quite about it

...we are looking to do an up and back via the Jewel trail...anyone been up there lately?

weather

Its got to be the weather?Wind chill warnings and advisory's this past weekend.Maybe wait for a bluebird day?What about a warm up for your friend like franconia ridge or the carters before taking on the WAsh....

Its got to be the weather?Wind chill warnings and advisory's this past weekend.Maybe wait for a bluebird day?What about a warm up for your friend like franconia ridge or the carters before taking on the WAsh....
You might want to monitor the various web sites about Mt. Washington Weather. The wind chill up there can be ferocious! :eek:

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Washington-2/forecasts/1917

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...YX&textField1=44.2706&textField2=-71.3047&e=0

etc.

I would not call this a beginner hike...

Washington in February is really not a good place to break someone in. Unless your friend is in great shape they really arent going to enjoy it as its a long day with a heavy pack if everone is carrying all the essentials. Odds are since you are from Maine you are going to do it from the Pinkham side and no matter what route you pick, its a long day with some steep sections. I havent been up the Lions Head winter route lately, but generally Crampons (not microspikes) are required. An ice ax with leash and the skills to use for self arrest are also a recomended option.

If you really want to have a good day, pick an easier mountain with good views so that you can have a easy day and if the weather is nice have an option of extending the trip. A nice option is Jackson, its a easy hike up until the summit cone whihc has enough steep pitche to test out traction, plus there are usually resident Gray Jays at the summit. If everyone is having fun, extend the route to Webster for a view down the cliffs and then hike back down to the car. This type of hike is also handy in case a breeze comes up as your exposure is limited.

Washington in February is really not a good place to break someone in. Unless your friend is in great shape they really arent going to enjoy it as its a long day with a heavy pack if everone is carrying all the essentials. Odds are since you are from Maine you are going to do it from the Pinkham side and no matter what route you pick, its a long day with some steep sections. I havent been up the Lions Head winter route lately, but generally Crampons (not microspikes) are required. An ice ax with leash and the skills to use for self arrest are also a recomended option.

If you really want to have a good day, pick an easier mountain with good views so that you can have a easy day and if the weather is nice have an option of extending the trip. A nice option is Jackson, its a easy hike up until the summit cone whihc has enough steep pitche to test out traction, plus there are usually resident Gray Jays at the summit. If everyone is having fun, extend the route to Webster for a view down the cliffs and then hike back down to the car. This type of hike is also handy in case a breeze comes up as your exposure is limited.
Another option would be to try for Munroe, and/or Washington if conditions are ideal.

Another option would be to try for Munroe, and/or Washington if conditions are ideal.

We were gonna go up and back via the Jewell trail...from 302...that way, he can get a fairly easy trek to above treeline...and then so GEORGEOUS views from there. I've done it in the winter before and remember it as not too bad. Also...if we only get to the cul between Clay and Washington...he still gets quite a "bang"...

Views

I wouldn't guaranty any views, Washington is in the clouds 60% of the time. In other words, more than 1/2 the year.

Tom's suggestion of going up Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to Lakes is a good one. It has about 1/2 mile of steep trail, but gets you above tree-line quickly. You can assess weather, fatigue, etc. at the hut and make a decision to go to Washington from there. If not, you can still bag Monroe. If you make it to Washington, you can descend by Gulfside/Jewell. Ammo leaves Marshfield Station between the small camps on the right. Jewell has been re-routed since Irene, and I'm not positive where it starts from Marshfield, someone else will have to chime in on that. All that said, be prepared to turn around if conditions aren't favorable.

KDT

Nope, not committeed...not at all. SAFETY FIRST!!! We would have NO problem turning around if necessary (he's too tired/dehydrated/cold...it's too windy, etc).

He is very interested in Washington...and...we were thinking Jewell trail as it is quite easy to treeline...and has BEAUTIFUL views once you hit tree line. He has never been "up there" and we were thinking where to give him the biggest "bang"...Washington is not too far once you hit treeline...and we can assess the situation once we get to that point.

Thank you for your concern...does this still sound like it might not be the safest plan?

We were gonna go up and back via the Jewell trail...from 302...that way, he can get a fairly easy trek to above treeline...and then so GEORGEOUS views from there. I've done it in the winter before and remember it as not too bad. Also...if we only get to the cul between Clay and Washington...he still gets quite a "bang"...

I've done the Ammo in Winter and thought it rougher than the Jewel? Can you DESCEND the ammo safely in the winter? This loop is one of my favorites and I would LOVE to do it...

do the jewel!

good bang for the hike! not to mention, sometimes mt.w. is socked in and big jeff is free from fog, good to have options and if the winds are howling above tree line just return down the jewel, if you still have time and desire you could go across the street and hike hale via halebrook or firewardens trail, great little winter hikes! don't forget to post a tr here with pix! :)

p.s. also good chance of some slop coming thurs.night into fri. morning.. could lead to a new blanket of upside down snow.. wouldn't want to be hiking ammo. if this happends, the waterfall area is an avy terrain trap..

Last edited:
Sounds like you are committed. Here is the list of recomended equipment your friend should be bringing.

http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

I am also thinking something like this might be a consideration to bring along in the event someone is injured and unable to walk above or below treeline.
They are very lightweight.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=146
http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

I carry one every day because I hike solo, often in areas with no cell service and I just hate freezing. Been there , done that, and never want to do it again.

Most winter hikers at Washington approach from Pinkham, the trailhead being a lot closer to parking and the prevailing winds making the west side much more chilling,

I am also thinking something like this might be a consideration to bring along in the event someone is injured and unable to walk above or below treeline.
They are very lightweight.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=146
http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

Has anyone here actually used one of these? I wrapped myself up in mine last summer when I was waiting for some folk to come by on Jefferson as a test because it was foggy and chilly. I didn't warm up but felt more and more clammy. Makes me wonder why I carry it.

I've done the Ammo in Winter and thought it rougher than the Jewel? Can you DESCEND the ammo safely in the winter? This loop is one of my favorites and I would LOVE to do it...
I've done Washington many times from both the east and west sides, and of the three main approaches (Lions Head Winter, Ammo and Jewell), the Jewell is the most mellow. I would NOT suggest the Lions Head Winter unless your friend is proficient with crampons, especially on the descent.

To answer your question about descending Ammo directly - yes, it's doable, but take your time. And make sure you have crampons. That's a favorite loop hike for me also, but I would almost never consider doing it clockwise in winter.

I'll join others in this thread in suggesting that doing Washington in winter should not be a learning experience. The "lessons" needed on Washington are best learned in a less hostile environment.

How experienced is your friend in winter travel above treeline? What are his qualifications? This idea scares me for y'all, frankly.

I agree with others who suggest something awesome, but not the horrendous experience Washington can be. Admittedly, I have yet to summit Washington in winter, but have come close several times and I have glacial travel experience on high peaks out west (Rainier, Hood, Shasta).

I'd suggest something else, like Height, which has a nice above treeline experience to get the feel of what it is like, and, if the weather is clear, a fabulous view. Or Eisenhower, for something more challenging with a greater avenue for safety.

Monroe, Washington and Clay via the Ammo and Jewell loop was my first real hike in the Whites and it was winter conditions, so I'm not going to tell you not to do it. BUT...I was with 2 strong, experienced hikers who knew the area and trails and it was an absolute blue bird day. We also started at like 5am, so we had plenty of time. You'll need crampons and maybe good snowshoes. You could descend Ammo with crampons, but I'm sure it's more common to go up Ammo and down Jewell.

Stan said:
Most winter hikers at Washington approach from Pinkham, the trailhead being a lot closer to parking...

The Base Station Rd was open to car traffic this past weekend, so that trailhead parking on the Ammo side was available below the Cog. That could change.

jewell

I would also recommend going from 302. The trail is protected and gets you above tree line safely. From there on it is just a gradual ridge hike in great weather. Obviously watch weather reports and only continue up the ridge go in good weather forecast. Otherwise you can futz above the tree line right there and descent safely back to 302.

you've seen the list of items to bring but the major items not to miss would be:

snowshoes
facemask
goggles
sunscreen thick to aid against sun but also frostbite
extra layers in the pack
extra mittens in the pack
thermoss with hot drink
ski poles
maybe a spare snowshoe(s) on the pack...

Has anyone here actually used one of these? I wrapped myself up in mine last summer when I was waiting for some folk to come by on Jefferson as a test because it was foggy and chilly. I didn't warm up but felt more and more clammy. Makes me wonder why I carry it.
Have you tried it out in the bitter cold? I would do that because I don't think summer might not be a time to test a Blizzard bag. :D
I think the Blizzard is still rated the best but the SOL seemed OK . REI carries it but I am still leaning toward the Blizzard.
I do have the older version of one sold by Adventure Kits... but I want to upgrade this year. It's OK but I doubt it would keep me as warm.

Maybe some of the SAR folks have had experience with one or the other.

Last edited: