Washington/ Monroe via Ammonoosuc, Crawford, Monroe Loop trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
The Ammonoosuc trail was well broken out with a slight dusting of fresh powder. I wore Hillsounds to the Gem Pool. As we started up the steep section after the pool the Hillsounds didn't quite cut it so I switched to my MSRs with the televator. I was able to walk right straight up all the way to the shelter. At the shelter I went back to the Hillsounds and left them on until I got back to the Gem pool. At that point I switched to my Yaxtrax because the Hillsounds were quite seriously balling up.

The trails to the treeline were clear of all obstacles. The winter trail approaches the shelter a bit to the left of the summer trail and you arrive at the left side of the shelter. Above the treeline the trails were all drifted in but if you were able to stay on the trail, which today was not a big problem, the footing was firm underneath.

The snowbank was not icy today so passage over that area was quite easy. Near the summit, because of heavy drifting I made an approach that started a bit lower than the summer trail. Without having to watch for rocks and stones, the trip down to the shelter was amazingly fast.

The trail to Monroe is also drifted over. Some folks have gone straight up to the ridge which is quite steep near the top. We angled more to the right as does the summer trail and the passage was fairly easy.

On the way down at one point my feet went out from under me and it was one very long, very fun butt slide.

It was an absolutely pristine day. The kind of day you can only dream about. The temps above the treeline were the 30s on the way up and above 40 when we got back to the hut. There was no wind at all until we got to the summit of Washington and even there it was fairly light.

With this hike Lauky finished his winter 48. See report at http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?43936-Lauky-finishes-winter-48-on-Washington-Monroe

Milage: 9.8
Elevation gain: 4150

[email protected]

Last edited: