Evans Notch Road + Blueberry +Speckled Mtns

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Started from Chatam NH/Stow ME State Line North up Rte 113 for 4 miles -the road was hard packed with a frozen crust until the snowmobiles churned it into a soft powder. Planned to go end to end and to Wild River but too many snowmobilies out -also saw 2 sled dog teams.

Took Bickford Brook Trail -well packed down, then to Blueberry Ridge Trail up the ledges -very icy but easy to climb around if necessary. The trail was packed out from the two large groups ahead of me. We continued across Blueberry Ridge Tr to loop back around to Bickford Brook Tr -this trail was broken out either yesterday or the day before by one person without snow shoes -they post holed all the way and so did I, the crust was strong enough that my dogs had no problem. We took the spur up to Speckled. It looks like someone may have come up from Cold River a few days ago. Once on back on the Bickford Brook Tr it was hard packed except for the water bars which were all open, no problem crossing. The trail from Blueberry to Speckled was easy to follow except where it is exposed to the wind then you have to figure out which way to go. The wind has packed the trail with some thigh deep soft powder in spots. Once down in elevation the BB tr turned to mashed potatoes.

Gear: Goretex trail runners , insulated running pants, long sleeve polyshirt, fleece hat, light gloves -for the hike I added wind pants and gaiters brought a jacket but never used it.

I had Icespike screws in my shoes for traction but I also had my dogs tied to me with a set up that dog sledders use: harness, two dog line, bunge to a quik release and some biners. So they used 8 paw drive to get me up the icy Bluberry ledges.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150592673