Toe bang!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have to try adding padding where I think it will help. My feet are just weird, ok?! :eek: I have tried thicker socks and this just seems to give me trouble around that narrow heel of mine .... I always get a rub (and at times MUCH worse than a rub --- I have had to throw away bloody socks on occassion after wearing my heels down several layers .. Yikes!) when I go beyond a certain thickness and it has never alleviated the toe bang problem at all. I have never tried an additional insole, though this might be helpful in the larger of my two feet. Great suggestions everyone! And thanks again hikes-with-him for posting! :)

Not sure if you were asking me, Ellen, but if you were here goes :p :
I have fit issues with every boot I've ever worn and most shoes too. My koflachs are the boot that gives me toe bang, but I haven't had any other issues with them at all. I've worn other boots that simply don't fit ---9.5 too small, 10 much too big, etc ..... The heel issues certainly concern me more than toe bang, which is why I've tolerated it in the Koflachs ...

As always, glad to have your answer, Chris, but I was really wondering about what the original poster has been wearing.

I've found that shoe gurus often think I should have a size shorter than what I think. When I've followed that advise, I've had toe problems. If they are not wide enough, metatarsal pain. My wonderful Cabelas (winter Avalanche) are shoeing their use by compression of material at the heel, so I will add some molesking to help with rubbing there. It is not easy to get the right combination, because circumstances are so fluid.

Toe Bang

I agree with what others have said about proper fit and lacing and try my best to follow that advice. But I still have black toe nails in some stage of demise. But I believe it has more to do with my gait. I have very short legs. When I try to make time or keep up to people with a longer stride I run in to trouble. The long/fast stride causes what I call toe slap which I believe causes the toe bang. If I walk at my natural pace I do not have a problem. The August Issue of Backpacker magazine had a great article on " How to Walk". It pretty much agrees with what I have experienced.
Charlie

Last edited:
Damn! First I think it's my feet that are all screwed up, and now it may be my short legs, too?!!!! :eek: I gotta' say, I don't think I'm up for re-learning how to walk .... just too much on my plate right now for that! :p

It had been quite some time since we've hiked...about 3 months. The problem usually starts about 1 1/2 miles on the way DOWN...and can be pretty bad by the end of the hike.

This was not a particularily long hike...about 8 miles...so, the last 2 1/2 pretty sore...

Oooh, that can put a harsh on a good day...hope its not your boots, those aren't always easy to replace so maybe you can work with them...close cropping of nails and cushioned toe socks might help?

Many other great suggestions above, as always...hope you find a solution that works for you.

Happy Trails!

As always, glad to have your answer, Chris, but I was really wondering about what the original poster has been wearing.

I've found that shoe gurus often think I should have a size shorter than what I think. When I've followed that advise, I've had toe problems. If they are not wide enough, metatarsal pain. My wonderful Cabelas (winter Avalanche) are shoeing their use by compression of material at the heel, so I will add some molesking to help with rubbing there. It is not easy to get the right combination, because circumstances are so fluid.

Winter boots...columbia...don't remember the exact type now...

Short Toenail is my solution. My boots are fitted reasonably well but the forces that you deal with over repeated downhill pressures or hits on the rocks I think you're bound to get some impact in the toe area. The idea with short toenails is that the impact is onto the padded tips of your toes and not on the hard toenail.

Also I like thicker hiking socks to add a bit more cushion in front. Every microscopic bit helps :)

Columbia, North Face, and a few other brands are generally known for a boxy, high volume fit. They're great if you have a high volume foot. I know I do not, so these brands always fit me badly. Often, the only contact the upper makes with my foot is at the toe, the heel, and the ankle cuff - the rest is air space, no matter how tightly the boot is laced. Having a low volume foot, I do much better with Scarpa and La Sportiva, which tend to have a narrower and lower volume fit. If your boot is properly fitted, when you lace it down, the upper should be snug right against your instep, and it should hold back your foot from hiting the toe, even when you walk down an incline and try to push your foot forward. Even if the boots are the "right" length, if you have dead air between your instep and the boot tongue, then the boots do not fit you properly.

Good luck!