New Weather Information from Cannon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Everyone complains that the weather information provided by the Obs isn't accurate for hikers, being all about the sensors at the top of the tower, which is well above the surface of Mt Washington, which is well above the other peaks. Sometimes they're right, and sometimes they're wrong.

Have you ever checked out the Obs Mesonet? This page displays wind speed, humidity, or temperature from a number of sensors around the area, including the Washington summit, Bretton Woods at 2200', the Highland Center, the Cog base, Cranmore, Attitash, sensors in Jackson & Bartlett, and most recently a brand-new weather observation rig mounted on top of the Cannonball chairlift on Cannon Mountain at around 4100'. Yes, you can now get live data from everyone's favorite elevation!

Click on any sensor on that web page for historical detail. Sensors at Mizpah and Lakes of the Clouds only transmit once daily and so only have historical information.

Credit to the Friday, Feb 17th Mt Washington Observer Comments.

Reposted by request after a board error deleted it by accident

Reposted by request after a board error deleted it by accident

No, it was me. I merged posts when I meant to merge threads. Kevin, Judy and Emma posted a similar thread the day or two before and I intended to combine them. Sorry for the confusion.

I had also added:

Cannon didn't have wind speed when they first announced this, but now it appears they do. There was some discussion over the ability to keep the anemometer ice-free. It also appears that the station has a web cam now as Cannon showed photos from it on their Facebook page this morning. It should be available here:

http://www.cannonmt.com/camshot.html

It's "semi-live", whatever that means (it is showing that it's currently dark on Cannon, which I believe )

Tim

Last edited:
Weather Tool for Trip Planning: Mount Washington Observatory Mesonet Page

The Mount Washington Regional Mesonet is a series of sensors around the White Mountains that monitor the weather. It will definitely take some of the guesswork out of weather forecasts. Rather than rely on a "forecast" it will have real time data.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/mesonet/

This note is added:

Note: Sites transmit data to the website via a solar-powered radio link, so while data is collected continuously, transmission may not be possible if prolonged foul weather has prevented sufficient power generation. The website will automatically update when the connection is restored.

The Mizpah, Tuckerman Ravine, and Lakes of the Clouds sites transmit data once per day. During transmission, live weather data is displayed. At all other times, 24-hour summary data is displayed.

KDT

It means it updates every two minutes.

If they have sufficient power to transmit the updates... It appears also they can redirect it as today it is looking directly down the lift line and the other day it was looking at Franconia Ridge. Some cameras (not this one, apparently) can be controlled by you, the web user, by getting in a line for control, for a few minutes at a whack.

Be sure to look at the time stamp on any data you are relying on to make a decision.

Tim