Southern Presi Traverse on an Outstanding day 2-21-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Our troop of four (Ed, Paul, Pam and John) headed out to do a Southern Presi traverse (Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce) under spectacular weather conditions. When the weather is right, a winter Presi traverse can't be rivaled. This was one of those days. Another fantastic day in the mountains.

Approaching Lakes of the Clouds Hut and our first peak of the day, Monroe.
P1040407.JPG

Heading up Monroe.
P1040451.JPG

Little Monroe.
P1040552.JPG

Wending our way to Mt. Franklin.
P1040584.JPG

Mt. Franklin.
P1040628.JPG

It was this kind of day. Lots of breaks and just hanging out enjoying the mountains.
P1040650.JPG

On our way to Eisenhower.
P1040678.JPG

There's nothing better than a Presi day.
P1040691.JPG

Mt. Eisenhower awaiting our arrival.
P1040707.JPG

Not a Sundog but rather a 22 degree halo. Sundog just sounds better though, doesn't it?
P1040742.JPG

Ed, with our day's journey behind us.
P1040806.JPG

Always Ed's best part of the day....sliding down the mountain.
P1040887.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome!

These are great pictures, as usual, John! That is not actually a Sun-Dog, but a phenomenon known as a 22* Halo. The Sun Dogs (Parhelia) are the intense spots of light at the horizontal point of the Halo, which aren't really shown in your photo, but are much more common than the full Halo.

Not really trying to correct you, just thought you might like to know. Awesome shot!

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/halo22.html

KDT

These are great pictures, as usual, John! That is not actually a Sun-Dog, but a phenomenon known as a 22* Halo. The Sun Dogs (Parhelia) are the intense spots of light at the horizontal point of the Halo, which aren't really shown in your photo, but are much more common than the full Halo.

Not really trying to correct you, just thought you might like to know. Awesome shot!

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/halo22.html

KDT

Kev-

I had no idea there was something called a 22* halo. Never heard of it until now. I stand corrected although Sun dog does sound better than 22* degree halo. :D

A perfect day for this hike. Great photos John! I was on the Kinsmans with a few friends and we were thinking of you guys! Thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure!
Karen

Ya know... When Ed Hawkins calls a Pressie day you need to take notice. I wish I could have taken the day off work and joined the fun. He can sure call them. Great shots John!

What great shots John! Awesome! And what a great day! I am not retired-- far from it-- but couldn't pass up this Pressie day and took the day off from work. I am so glad I did! :D It was great meeting you and Paul and Ed! Thanks for sharing this wonderful day with me!

Some outstanding photos! I especially like the one of Eisenhower "awaiting your arrival"...it does a really good job of capturing the the scale of the mountain (something that I think is often lost in photographs).

Looks like a great day to be out!

Wow, great photos!

I think Pam has become a seriously hardcore hiker. In less than a month she's hiked Owl's Head, Adams, Isolation, Carrigain, and three of the Presis....am I missing anything Pam? :)

Wow, great photos!

I think Pam has become a seriously hardcore hiker. In less than a month she's hiked Owl's Head, Adams, Isolation, Carrigain, and three of the Presis....am I missing anything Pam? :)

Yup, Flume. But merely a baby in comparison to my hike-mates Tuesday. I'm off tomorrow for Washington (Lion's Head) and self-arrest and other skills training with AMC Boston this weekend. Hillary step warning for Sunday, folks, it's a big group! :rolleyes:

I had no idea there was something called a 22* halo. Never heard of it until now. I stand corrected although Sun dog does sound better than 22* degree halo. :D

I like Sun dog better too! :) Hey, which one of us is in that shot? Looks like me or maybe Ed...

Man these are amazing images..
Thank you.
I was on Whiteface Tuesday and it was truly Bluebird also.

What was your camera? It's splendid
Climb onward

Last edited:
We started a bit later but saw you guys just summiting Monroe.. beat feet but got there ourselves just as the last in your party dropped off towards Crawford Path. We retraced steps and did Washington and Jefferson..a little windy towards the end. Great day out and great photos!!!