Video- "What NHF&G Carry in a Winter SAR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Reaction score
Massassachusetts Avatar: It looks easy on t
Found this eight minute video on Youtube.

What NHF&G Pack

I chuckled when he pulled out an AMC Trail Map. I guess that's a compliment to the AMC. Only use the best (and most accurate).

It take eight minutes to pull all the equipment out. That's a lot of stuff.

See you on the trail...(Not complaining about my pack weight after seeing this video) ;) ...Walker

Last edited:
These guys don't get enough credit for all that they do. I wish there were a way that we could show them how much we appreciate that they have our backs if the worst case scenario roles around.

A winter SAR pack is a beast to carry and a beauty to behold when you need its contents. I remember an overnight bivouac exercise we had once in WA in the snow. The rule was that you could only use what you ordinarily carried in the field on missions at that time of year. A few sleeping bags made guest appearances that were rarely seen otherwise. :rolleyes:

I'm going to incorporate this video a part of my SAR team training program, but I sure wouldn't want to be carrying that pack. We have a similar summer demo pack, but not nearly as complete (or heavy).

Last edited:
I have one of those winter headlamps that hangs the battery pack around my neck so that it can be tucked in and stay warm against my body. It's definitely a lot more resilient to the cold than having the batteries atop your head.

Unfortunately, mine's pretty old, a relatively heavy piece of gear that takes those big, flat batteries that I don't even know where to find any more. The modern version looks a lot nicer. I wouldn't want to head out on a winter night hike without this style of headlamp.

What a great vid.
Thank you.

It should be a benchmark and guide for all new winter hikers/climbers.

To tell you the truth, three quarters of the way through the video, I was sure he was going to pull a Frozen Daiquiri machine out of one of the stuff sacks. He's pack is like a backpackers Tardis. (it's bigger in the inside, than the outside).

With all seriousness now, Wouldn't some of the items be spread out among all the personal involved in the SAR, not just one person? Just wondering.

See you on the trail...Walker

Last edited:
Brad is a neat guy, and NH F & G is lucky to have him in their ranks. Passionate about whatever he undertakes, and a fantastic skier too!!! He grew up in the Mts of NH, spent a number of years in the US military, and now is literally back home.

F&G quite often will send one member to initially respond to a distress call, so the individual team members must be prepared to the best of their ability to handle a situation. The Wilderness First Responder course that SOLO offers would have the same basic items he pulled out of his pack listed as gear for a responder. www.soloschools.com

It's impressive to watch Brad pretty much run up a trail with that pack on! My winter pack has never come close to 50lbs, but I do carry many similar items that are in his pack. His version; everything-but-the-kitchen-sink. Mine; minimalist. I hope some of you get to meet Brad some day, without being in distress of course!