Instant Clotting Factor

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
As an offshoot of Big Earls thread on repairing velcro, the thread drifted over to a source of clotting factor for wounds that will not bleeding or for folk who use blood thinners. I picked up "Urgent QR" at rite aid several years ago. Here is an Amazon Link http://www.amazon.com/URGENT-KIT-STOPS-BLEEDING-Size/product-reviews/B000GCKDOA

I had read about it as being a good thing to keep around the house especially if someon is on blood thinners but havent used it myself but it gets good reviews. The actual powder is contained in small ampules the size of a piece of candy corn but they are contained in a plastic blister pack that is about 2" by 3" by 3/8" thick. The ampules can get crushed in the packaging so I would suggest perhaps a pill bottle lined with cotton would carry 4 ampules securely.

As an offshoot of Big Earls thread on repairing velcro, the thread drifted over to a source of clotting factor for wounds that will not bleeding or for folk who use blood thinners. I picked up "Urgent QR" at rite aid several years ago. Here is an Amazon Link http://www.amazon.com/URGENT-KIT-STOPS-BLEEDING-Size/product-reviews/B000GCKDOA

I had read about it as being a good thing to keep around the house especially if someon is on blood thinners but havent used it myself but it gets good reviews. The actual powder is contained in small ampules the size of a piece of candy corn but they are contained in a plastic blister pack that is about 2" by 3" by 3/8" thick. The ampules can get crushed in the packaging so I would suggest perhaps a pill bottle lined with cotton would carry 4 ampules securely.

Thanks for the heads-up. The powder version is also available on Amazon here.

My hunch is we have several on this BB who take aspirin, Plavix or some other blood thinner.

Has anyone on VFTT ever actually used this stuff? Curious how/if it worked well.

Not on blood thinners but have sustained some nasty lacerations, most recently 3 weeks ago (20 stitches on L knee!) :eek:

Clotting agents

Has anyone on VFTT ever actually used this stuff? Curious how/if it worked well.

Not on blood thinners but have sustained some nasty lacerations, most recently 3 weeks ago (20 stitches on L knee!) :eek:

Yes, They do work well. They were develeloped for our troops in the field to stop bleeding from severe wounds .

I also carry Liquid Bandage which helps with really small cuts (like my cuticles every winter that simply hurt like hell so I use Neosporin and coat it with liquid bandage)

Last edited:

Ouch, that must have hurt!

Honestly, I never had very good luck using it. Maybe for very very small lacerations. The military clinic I work in stopped carrying it. What I have found that works much better is Drysol. This is a super deoderant used for excessive sweating but works great for hemostasis.

Yes it works. It truly is a lifesaver. I fortunately did not have to learn this first hand but was able to benefit from the experience of a friend from another agency. He was a victim of a friendly fire accident during the exectution of a search warrant of a drug house. His team used Quick Clot immediately prior to transporting him to the trama center. Once he recovered he was very open about discussing the incident wanting to make others aware of what happened so they could learn from this. He stressed the importantce of the use of this product. As a result we all now carry a pack of this in the same spot tucked in our ballistic vest, so that everyone knows where to access it if needed. I have not thought to carry it on trips but may add it to my first aid kit.

Actually I am surprised this product is still on the market. Its not used by the military anymore because of the adverse side effects; intense heat and burning

Actually I am surprised this product is still on the market. Its not used by the military anymore because of the adverse side effects; intense heat and burning

Perhaps intense bleeding is worse than intense heat and burning. However, I can't imagine the liklihood of a serious hiking injury being anywhere as likely or as bad as wounds from shrapnel, explosions and live ammunition.

There are a variety of hemostatic agents on the market. Another type is made with Collagen (refined from animal protein).