Kahootla's warranty and field repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4000

Reaction score
Just did a maiden voyage up Whiteface yesterday on our Kahootlas and what a difference in exertion and knee action between them and Denalis or Crampons.
Thought I'd call them (Kahootla in Flagstaff) and get their ideas on field repair and warranty.

The woman suggested plastic ties.

I always carry stainless wire semi-flexible for any assortment of repairs.
She said they will replace them for 2 years as long as they are not too beat up.

They wont send spare parts (for a "trail kit") due to liability issues.

Any repair ideas for us forum contributors? .........as I will be using these every time possible/plausible

Attachments

• Whitface  3 images2.jpg
    Whitface 3 images2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 145
Plastic ties are really the way to go for a number of trail repairs. I alway carry several in my pack.

Plastic ties have their uses, but stainless or copper wire is also handy for cold weather use. Plastic ties tend to get real brittle in cold weather especially when used where there is sharp bend.

For an illustration, one day I broke a crampon coming down lions head. It was cold and windy so putting a repair in place wasnt easy due to cold fingers. I took out some heavy duty plastic tie wraps I carry for repairs and put them in place to secure the crampon. Less than 2 minutes of hiking later, the first one broke. The next time I used several of different types, same issue. My friend then offered a peice of copper wire. I bent it and wrapped it in place and then walked down to Pinkham with no issues.

I have done some Katohla repairs where the chain pulled out of the eyelet in the field with small tie wraps and they do seem to hold but generally the conditions are warmer.

There are stainless "tie wraps" used by electricians for outdoor UV locations (also recommended for solar installations). I have seen them but havent used any yet.

If you bring metal wire or have metal accessories to deal with, another good thing to have is a multi-tool, with plyers, screwdriver, knife, etc. at your disposal.

FWIW, EMS took back a pair of broken Microspikes, (that were an Xmas gift to my wife, thus we had no receipt), with no quibbles and gave her a brand new pair.

Kahootla Microspikes

If you bring metal wire or have metal accessories to deal with, another good thing to have is a multi-tool, with plyers, screwdriver, knife, etc. at your disposal.

FWIW, EMS took back a pair of broken Microspikes, (that were an Xmas gift to my wife, thus we had no receipt), with no quibbles and gave her a brand new pair.

Tom,
yes that top of the line multitool weighs a lot :)but it goes with me everywhere I climb.

May I ask where theKahootla spikes broke?

Plastic ties are really the way to go for a number of trail repairs. I alway carry several in my pack.

Yes great idea ...with the cable ties, the stainless wire and duct (or is it duck? Quack quack) tape I feel ready to go.

I am adding O rings to my essential kit .

Climb onward

Just wondering about those plastic ties. Is there a difference in quality? In other words, a bag that you buy at, say, Walmart. Are they the same quality as what you would by at a good hardware store? I've seen some packages the say "heavy duty" but what about the regular ones. Spend more and get a better quality?

I always carry several of the loop bungies that have the knob at one end. I've used them for so many things (snowshoe repair on the trail, attaching things to my pack on the trail, for example) and they also are very durable and reusable.