Solo Winter Presidential Traverse on President's Day - 2/20/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMOutdoors

Reaction score
Despite consistent winds of 50mph, blowing snow, and a wind chill around -30, I had 120 mile views all day long as I took on the Presidential Traverse, which is something I had been thinking about since the holidays.

The trail conditions couldn't have been better. I carried snowshoes, crampons, and micros, but was fortunate to only need micros the entire way. There were some fields with shin deep snow, but it was never an issue. The snow did get more difficult towards Eisenhower.

I started just before daylight, and reached Mt. Madison as the sun rose above it. Things we're looking good, and I was there in less than 2 hours.
P2200137.JPG

I approached Adams from the Star Lake Trail, something new. The wind picked up, and the blowing snow gave me my first challenge as I climbed Adams.
P2200140.JPG

When I reached Mt. Jefferson, the winds lightened a little, and it became the most beautiful part of the traverse. Jefferson was #40 on my TW list, and it was the Presidential I needed for round 2. A great moment on the day.
P2200149.JPG

My mind was racing and my concentration was locked in as I ascended the big birthday boy for the 8th time and 5th month in a row. I was tested by the insane gusts coming up and over the Great Gulf. This summit was just as special as any other time. I didn't see anyone on the summit until after I had my moment at the top. The wind was fierce at the summit.
P2200233.JPG

As I left Washington and headed onto the Southern Presis, the wind seemed to be worse coming from the west. Here is where it became time to focus and finish this, and it was a battle because the snow was pounding my face and the pellets and cold were getting at me right through my face protection. While I was confident the whole time, the prolonged weather was really testing as I hiked the southern Presis therefore I took less photos.

Of course, this is one of the most difficult hikes one can do in the Northeast, therefore I'm very proud of this accomplishment, and thankful to the Presidents for allowing me to pass safely.
P2200251.JPG

You can go straight to the photos from the day here, and or visit my blog for the full report and a video from my traverse.

After this crazy weekend, I have 11 left for Round two, mostly the Carter Range, Hale, Cannon, etc.

Attachments

• P2200137.JPG
    P2200137.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Amazing stuff Dan! Congrats on the string of milestones and accomplishments during this one. You're definitely going to have a hard time coming up with one to top it (but I'm sure you'll find a way).

Trish - Thank you so much! I hope the Presidentials are just as nice to you as you and Alex go for for your finish next month.

Mark - Well, another possible big one could be a winter Wildcat-Carter Traverse, I need those plus Whiteface & Passconaway, The Trips, Cannon and Hale for round 2. I would love to finish that this winter, so that's what I'm looking at. Other than that, I haven't thought of my next big undertaking, (maybe a winter pemi loop - I failed in early Dec.) but I don't expect to miss many weekends between now and whatever my Whitney hike date may be, if I'm lucky in the new online lottery.

Hi Yoav, I'm glad it helped you guys out. It looks like you did the identical route (using Star Lake Trail). I was so glad I chose that route that time, that climb to Adams held the most intense moments of my traverse because of the wind and blowing snow (and dramatic view of looking down at Madison). You definitely had beautiful views. I am planning to do this again including Jackson sometime this winter.

Wow, congrats on a fine achievement! Not many folks accomplish a winter Presi traverse. You are to be commended. :cool: I am looking forward to my first Presi traverse possibly this summer.