Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost to climb mount everest?

How much does it cost to climb mount everest?

I remember reading 'into thin air' and it said in 1996 the price was from 60,000 to 10000, depending on who you went with. Of course, it could cost your life too. I don't know if the price has changed or if they are still doing all those guided trips. The two most dependable guys were both killed along with about 10 clients, if I remember right
    why are there people like Frank??

Note that he is talking "south side" costs, apparently from Tibet/China there is more of a "Wild West" atmosphere and you can get by with much less. A few years back, a guy who was climbing solo unguided got into trouble and people who walked by him were castigated in the press - you get what you pay for, guy!

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    Note that he is talking "south side" costs, apparently from Tibet/China there is more of a "Wild West" atmosphere and you can get by with much less. A few years back, a guy who was climbing solo unguided got into trouble and people who walked by him were castigated in the press - you get what you pay for, guy!
    You can get into trouble from either side. Rescue high up is at best very difficult (likely impossible) and puts the rescuers at risk.

It appears that some did attempt to help David Sharp and found him to be beyond help. It would have been suicide to attempt to rescue him. (Past thread: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...left-dying-man)

He is not the first (and will not be the last) dying person to be abandoned high on Everest--it is a very dangerous place where there is essentially no backup.

Doug

Don't support the costs.

It is a mountain for fools.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Wow, $45k per person as a starting point and up to $100k per person if you want "ammenities" (numbers from the article). Jeez. Who has that kind of money? Lots of people apparently, but wow. If I had that kind of time and money on my hands, a trip up Everest is not how I'd spend it. But, to each his own...
    Sure. Why not.

So true. If it floats your boat then be it but the amount of trash left at various camps along the way for each expedition is perplexing.

If you need a guide to drag you up that mountain then did you really achieve it?

It is not even the most challenging mountain from the big peaks.

If this is really where you'd like to play then work your way towards the peaks by earning your place as a paid guide one day :-)

These are just my rambling opinions. Pay no attention. ;-) I have no credentials to back it up. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    Wow, $45k per person as a starting point and up to $100k per person if you want "ammenities" (numbers from the article). Jeez. Who has that kind of money? Lots of people apparently, but wow. If I had that kind of time and money on my hands, a trip up Everest is not how I'd spend it. But, to each his own...

Wow, $45k per person as a starting point and up to $100k per person if you want "ammenities" (numbers from the article). Jeez. Who has that kind of money? Lots of people apparently, but wow.
    Many are sponsored by, for example, gear manufacturers. Test out the gear, make sure the name is visible in the photos you send from camps and from the summit, and they give a wad of cash towards your expenses. Especially if you're a well-established name in mountaineering.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    It is a mountain for fools.
    Everest is the tallest peak, it is worth climbing for sure. Just because it is attempted by alot of fools dont blame the mountain. Using your criteria, one could say "The franconia ridge is for fools now".

I thought that my statement blamed the fools and not the mountain. Well English is my second language after all so it figures. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    I thought that my statement blamed the fools and not the mountain. Well English is my second language after all so it figures. Sorry about that.
    No its all good, I just think the mountain gets a bad rap from all the fools that attempt it. English might be my second language too and I grew up here, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Many are sponsored by, for example, gear manufacturers.
    I guess I'm thinking that's a pretty small percentage of the folks who attempt to climb Everest. Maybe 5%? Surely the vast majority of people who make an attempt are not sponsored?
    Sure. Why not.

I guess I'm thinking that's a pretty small percentage of the folks who attempt to climb Everest. Maybe 5%? Surely the vast majority of people who make an attempt are not sponsored?
    Well, the guides make up over 5% and they're not just sponsored but paid for their time :-)

It's not just gear mfrs that sponsor expeditions, I once sent $5 to sponsor a K2 expedition for which I received a postcard from base camp - they didn't make the summit. And expeditions with a particular focus often get sponsors from local businesses. Rick Wilcox made a movie and no doubt it's helped his business. You don't even have to reach the summit - Beck Weathers is a motivational speaker based on not getting there :-(
    http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speak...=Beck+Weathers

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    You don't even have to reach the summit - Beck Weathers is a motivational speaker based on not getting there :-(
    http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speak...=Beck+Weathers
    Based on being left for dead by his team-mates not once, but twice, and rising Lazurus-like to find help. Quite an example of sheer determination and true grit, IMHO.
    Last edited by PamW; 02-29-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo

per russell birce's web site us dollars is $58615

http://www.himalayanexperience.com/everest-south-side