Adirondack Winter Finish Feb 20, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cath

Reaction score
With Brutie at his 48 in 1 Winter celebration on C
It's good to know that retirement suits some folks really REALLY well ~
When you have the privilege to meet this man on the trails, you will forever more remember him for his smile, and wonderfully positive outlook on just about anything. Al Dwyer is not a member of VFTT, but he is a friend of many who are. Below is a short note from him regarding the completion of his Winter Adirondack pursuit. Nicely done Al :cool:

My DAKS odyssey began in January 2010 when Arm T. and I went over and climbed the Dixes (five peaks) over a weekend. All went well, until I slipped at the base of the last peak as we came out, and I tore a hamstring. Suffice to say that ended my DAKs experience for that season. Last year with the help of Carl C., David R., Damon R., Van Pol, Marc H., and Steph C., I managed an additional 31 DAKs and 2 Catskill 4's. The remaining 10 were done with a combination of NH and NY hiking friends with a final finish on Mt Marcy on Feb 20. The NY hikers were just like my NH friends; knowledgeable, energetic and fun, but most were my daughter's age which gave me pause.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me achieve this goal, especially my wife Chrissy, who has spent many a night alone. I could not have begun to do it without her help. I shall always be grateful.

During this journey I have experienced unbelievable "highs" and "lows"; those Adirondack cols are deep, the wilderness views are magnificent, particularly from Haystack, there were several marathons and near epics, lots of driving and motel stays. I have learned a great deal about myself; you really do have to want those peaks. It has given me a sense of accomplishment that I never dreamed possible.

Right now I am Listless (pun intended) but I expect I'll find something else to do besides the "honey do" list. Making that too short is not any fun.

Again, thanks for making this adventure possible.

Al is amazing on so many levels. Am very grateful to consider him a good friend.

Here's Al on Marcy, finishing his Winter ADK's and his Winter 111's, on February 20, 2012. Way to go, big Al.

2178098240044986489S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• al_marcy.jpg
    al_marcy.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Way to go, Al! "Epic" is a perfect description of so many of those hikes, particularly in winter! What a great accomplishment!

YES! A hearty congratulations...and I love your "dedications". :D