Katahdin Route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard about Blueberry Knoll from other people but have been unable to determine exactly where it is...guessing the end of the North Basin Trail?

Ryan, you are 100% correct. Blueberry Knoll is a rocky high point at the northern terminus of the North Basin Trail. There may be some herd paths leading into the basin, which probably have some great views, but I have never tried that. Blueberry Knoll also makes a nice detour after descending the Hamlin Ridge Trail.

Oh, and Chimney Pond is generally gradual and fast hiking, although a bit rocky. You can make good time, but may feel compelled to stop at the Basin Ponds for the scenery.

Marty

Knoll pic, etc.

Sandy Stream Pond sounds really cool and I've heard about Blueberry Knoll from other people but have been unable to determine exactly where it is...guessing the end of the North Basin Trail?
Blueberry Knoll is also a short (1.2m?) hike from Chimney Pond.
Sandy Stream Pond: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=36443&catid=member&imageuser=314
Humorous Sandy stream: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=36439&catid=member&imageuser=314
Blueberry Knoll: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28768&catid=member&imageuser=314

Fishing: Small brookies in roaring Brook. Real fishing off Golden Road west branch of the Penobscott upstream from the bridge of the Big Eddy.

Sorry for the typos. Typing this on my cell from the bunkhouse at the AT lodge in Millinocket

Last edited:
I second Roy's comment about your plans being for too short a stay. For that amount of driving just to get there, the risk of your one day there being ruined by bad weather is just too great. If you possibly can, give yourselves three days in the park to maximize your opportunities. There a tons of great hikes. I found Hamlin Ridge almost as much fun a scramble as was the Knife Edge.

One of nice aspects that you will miss out on is the "baxter vibe" if you stay in the park anywhere except the campgrounds at the base of the actual mountain. Once you get away from the big three campgrounds, everything gets far more laid back. The rangers have time to be social and the majority of the folks have been camping in the park for many years. In general its a lot more life in the slow lane (which unfortunately may be a rude shock to some).

Unfortunately the big three campgrounds and the Togue Pond gate have to deal with a lot of new unprepared hikers frequently and have to assume that everyone is a newbie. They also have to deal with folks who cant understand the rules and expect that just because they drove up on a whim they may not be able to climb the mountain. There is a also an element that are unable to understand that the majority of the park is a wildlife preserve and pets just arent allowed. All of these items tend to contribute to the reputation that Baxter State Park is an unfriendly place. The park long ago was an unregulated place with few rules and the experience was degraded for all, the rules were put in place to try to protect and restore the resource to what it should be

Unfortunately the big three campgrounds and the Togue Pond gate have to deal with a lot of new unprepared hikers frequently and have to assume that everyone is a newbie. They also have to deal with folks who cant understand the rules and expect that just because they drove up on a whim they may not be able to climb the mountain. There is a also an element that are unable to understand that the majority of the park is a wildlife preserve and pets just arent allowed. All of these items tend to contribute to the reputation that Baxter State Park is an unfriendly place. The park long ago was an unregulated place with few rules and the experience was degraded for all, the rules were put in place to try to protect and restore the resource to what it should be
Very nice way to phrase your thoughts P.B. Both my experiences at baxter were a mixed bag,there is sort of a fascist primitivism about the place but most likely needed to maintain the pristine ecology there.Now that I finished my three peaks up there[2010],I look forward to hitting those more remote areas.It was tough for me because I hate being told what to do,I was also very disappointed with how crowded my baxter hike was[maybe like 150 people!].My campground was like a college frat party,loud! My older dad even went to complain to the ranger,who wanted to be friendly but was done at that point with dumb tourists. One other thought is that baxter is very much set up for maine residents to enjoy[a good reason to become a maine resident].A little tougher for out of staters,just be patient in your trying to get up there,its worth it!

Red Oak; you are right on with my 2 experiences @ BSP. One experience was focused on the Traveler loop with a stay at South Branch Pond Campground. The campground was too convenient not to utilize, but it was not he BSP experience that I was looking for. The Traveler loop is one to keep on the bucket list, we hiked it this past August on a Monday and we saw only three other people over the course of our 9 hour hike. This is a beautiful loop with a good percentage of the trail above treeline.
My other experience was a three day stay (midweek in late July) in a cabin @ Daicey Pond. I will say that the need for reservations and the smaller numbers at the cabin site left a much nicer feel than the larger campground. Further, as it rained for most of this stay, the cabin was a nice respite.
I would have to say that if I were stuck to a limited amount of time for my first stay in BSP, I would suggest staying somewhere out on the perimeter loop. This choice is all about flexibility; you will have to drive (sometimes a long ride) to most of the trailheads. But, as reservations must be made so far in advance, you never know what will happen and it would be a shame to limit your opportunities on your one chance.
I too hate following rules, but as I have gotten older, I realize that if I really want something, sometimes I simply have to keep jumping the hurdles that others put in my way.

Last edited:
Wow! Great responses, thanks for all the help! I'm definitely getting a better idea of this...
Ryan

Welcome! Amazing the kind of knowledge you get from the members here. If you are lucky, you'll get to meet many in the years ahead ;)

Thanks for the post - because I really don't understand Baxter and figure that pretty soon I'll have to buy a map and re-read this post. You have the same questions that I would have getting ready to take on BSP!

Another thing to consider is that sometimes when the weather is questionable, your routes up Katahdin are limited...they could close the Knife Edge for example while leaving other trails open. So consider other routes from Chimney Pond, if it comes to that. A couple of summers ago I did a nice hike starting from Roaring Brook, going up Chimney Pond trail and hitting Hamlin first, then over to Baxter Peak, then doubled back and went down the Saddle trail. You don't get the Knife Edge that way but it's still a great hike. In fact I found the trip up Hamlin - with its many scrambles, and great views over to the Knife Edge - to be the most interesting part of the trip.

If Hamlin wasnt attached to Katahdin, it would be worth driving up from southern New england to climb on its own. Its a great circle route from Chimney Pond but if doing it from Roaring Brook it comes at the end of a long day and may not be appreciated as muhc as it should. The Hamlin Ridge trail has a great feel to it on a nice day with two huge glacial basins on either side. The actual top of the ridge is a bit wider than the knifes edge and in general a little less intimidating. I especially like it coming down as it drops out of your view as you descend. About 80% of the trail is exposed above the trees.

If you catch it at the right time of the season, the blueberries are better than on Helon Taylor trail.

Thanks for the reminder Michael J.
I was going to mention the spring near the top but it had been a while since i have been up there. Compared to the other "springs" up on the plateau which tend to be bogs, the Hamlin spring has some flow to it.

Last edited:
I'd like to second this. The Hamlin Ridge Trail is one of my absolute favorites that I've ever hiked in Baxter: the views into the basins on both sides are incredible, a spring (don't know about reliability) just below the summit plateau is icy cold and refreshing, and the blueberries are plentiful & delicious!

Basically, you come up along the crest of the entire length of this ridge:

IMG_6864.jpg

Fishing: Small brookies in roaring Brook. Real fishing off Golden Road west branch of the Penobscott upstream from the bridge of the Big Eddy.

I read that somewhere, too. How far up Roaring Brook? I guess were looking for fishing as close to Chimney Pond as possible. Assuming we can throw in a fourth day, fishing and checking out some of the other cool little spots is going to be our weather day plan.

Sorry for the typos. Typing this on my cell from the bunkhouse at the AT lodge in Millinocket

...thats truly awesome.

Also, whats the summer weather like up there? Is there a mid-summer black fly threat? What time gives us the best odds of getting a mid-week spot at Chimney Pond?

I caught a few close to a leanto at roaring brook.

I don't think the bug season is truly over in BSP but September or late August
would be ideal.

I read that somewhere, too. How far up Roaring Brook? I guess were looking for fishing as close to Chimney Pond as possible. Assuming we can throw in a fourth day, fishing and checking out some of the other cool little spots is going to be our weather day plan.

...thats truly awesome.

Also, whats the summer weather like up there? Is there a mid-summer black fly threat? What time gives us the best odds of getting a mid-week spot at Chimney Pond?

Hey,

A friend and I did a similar trip back in July 2009. We weren't much of hikers back then, so we stayed at Abol Campground at the base of the mountain and did some short hikes in the area for the first couple days (Little Abol Falls, quick hike to the base of Abol Slide, down the park road, etc.) If you're looking for short-ish hikes for exploring, I'd recommend The Owl. We got pretty lucky...we just picked it off the map since the distance seemed reasonable (6.6 mile round-trip from Katahdin Stream Campground), and we were treated to an awesome view of Katahdin. Climbed Katahdin the next day via Abol Slide and Hunt Trail.
Sounds like you're set to have a great time.

Best of luck and enjoy it!

I've done the exact loop you are describing as a day hike and in the reverse direction. I also second the others who recommended Blueberry Knoll, you get a great perspective of the North and South Basins from there. I went up to Chimney Pond then > Blueberry Knoll > Hamlin Ridge > Howe Peaks > Knife Edge > Dudley. I recall it being around 17 miles, it's a fantastic loop is the weather is good!