Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Katahdin Route

I'd like to second this. The Hamlin Ridge Trail is one of my absolute favorites that I've ever hiked in Baxter: the views into the basins on both sides are incredible, a spring (don't know about reliability) just below the summit plateau is icy cold and refreshing, and the blueberries are plentiful & delicious!

Basically, you come up along the crest of the entire length of this ridge:

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    Fishing: Small brookies in roaring Brook. Real fishing off Golden Road west branch of the Penobscott upstream from the bridge of the Big Eddy.
    I read that somewhere, too. How far up Roaring Brook? I guess were looking for fishing as close to Chimney Pond as possible. Assuming we can throw in a fourth day, fishing and checking out some of the other cool little spots is going to be our weather day plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    Sorry for the typos. Typing this on my cell from the bunkhouse at the AT lodge in Millinocket
    ...thats truly awesome.

Also, whats the summer weather like up there? Is there a mid-summer black fly threat? What time gives us the best odds of getting a mid-week spot at Chimney Pond?

I caught a few close to a leanto at roaring brook.

I don't think the bug season is truly over in BSP but September or late August
    would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKSherpa View Post
    I read that somewhere, too. How far up Roaring Brook? I guess were looking for fishing as close to Chimney Pond as possible. Assuming we can throw in a fourth day, fishing and checking out some of the other cool little spots is going to be our weather day plan.

...thats truly awesome.

Also, whats the summer weather like up there? Is there a mid-summer black fly threat? What time gives us the best odds of getting a mid-week spot at Chimney Pond?
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    Be prepared to get mice in your car.

Hey,

A friend and I did a similar trip back in July 2009. We weren't much of hikers back then, so we stayed at Abol Campground at the base of the mountain and did some short hikes in the area for the first couple days (Little Abol Falls, quick hike to the base of Abol Slide, down the park road, etc.) If you're looking for short-ish hikes for exploring, I'd recommend The Owl. We got pretty lucky...we just picked it off the map since the distance seemed reasonable (6.6 mile round-trip from Katahdin Stream Campground), and we were treated to an awesome view of Katahdin. Climbed Katahdin the next day via Abol Slide and Hunt Trail.
    Sounds like you're set to have a great time.

Best of luck and enjoy it!

I've done the exact loop you are describing as a day hike and in the reverse direction. I also second the others who recommended Blueberry Knoll, you get a great perspective of the North and South Basins from there. I went up to Chimney Pond then > Blueberry Knoll > Hamlin Ridge > Howe Peaks > Knife Edge > Dudley. I recall it being around 17 miles, it's a fantastic loop is the weather is good!