Catskill Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Catskill Conditions and the Batavia Kill

Back in February the conditions in the Catskills were icy. I know February wasn't that long ago but the temperatures in Hunter next week are supposed to be up in the 50s. Looking to do the Blackhead Range in two weeks.

Have things changed at all lately?
Still using crampons/micro-things?
Snowshoes?

Also...anyone been to the Batavia Kill lean-to lately? Nice? Never stayed there.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
I was just about to make a similar post, so I hope you don't mind, Chris, if I inquire about Peekamoose and Big Indian? I have a friend who just moved to High Falls that I will be visiting March 24 and we are hopin to get into the Cats for some hiking.
:)

Prepare to defend yourself at the Batavia Kill leanto from the porkys.. It's also somewhat popular...

The berkshires got a dusting of snow last night but it'll be gone by today...

Jay

catskill conditions

It's been icy all winter and even 2 weeks ago with some snow it was ice under snow. We haven't used snowshoes all winter, but could have used them 2 weeks ago on the north side of Doubletop at the higher elevation.

We've been using microspikes and I love them, but with the heavy layer of ice on the rocks under the snow, they aren't as effective as crampons or snowshoes.

It's been pretty warm all week and I'm not expecting to see a lot of snow.We had a little rain here (Tivoli) last night, but that's the only precipitation all week. We have Lone and Rocky this week to finish for our winter peaks and plan on bringing the spikes and the crampons and deciding on the snowshoes once we get there.

I hiked Blackhead this afternoon via the Black Dome Range Trail. I left the snowshoes in the trunk, which turned out to be a good choice, at least for today (total postholes=0). The bigger question was whether I should take off the spikes and switch to full crampons, but I left them in the pack and stayed with the spikes. The worst was just below the spring, but there was enough room to stay to the sides of the boiler plate. There is still a fair amount of snow up high (including 2 - 4 inches of fresh powder today on top of the packed trail above the spring), except for the sunny areas on the ridge. I can't promise that snowshoes won't be helpful tomorrow; it depends on how much the warmer temperatures soften things up.

Definitely bring the crampons.

PS I was hearing tales of icy woe from those who hiked up the Escarpment trail, but I didn't go that way.

Last edited:
We were on North Dome and Sherrill Saturday, 3/10, and Halcott, Sunday, 3/11. Snowshoes were very helpful above 3000' or so, especially on Sunday with the warm temps and mashed potato snow. It's supposed to be pretty warm this week, so I would keep an eye on what gets reported from this weekend. My guess is that snowshoes won't be needed, but you might want to pack m-spikes and crampons. Crampons were a must in the Blackheads a couple weeks ago.

As Steve remarked, snowshoes made the hiking easier above 3000ft, but pretty essential even higher. Other than along the summit ridges and col, we were on the north sides though.
With the warm termperatures the snow will be mash-potatoey. Keep your eye on the trails or route you intend to hike. With the abnormally warm temperatures this week, stream crossings might be an issue.

Thanks all for your input...

Prepare to defend yourself at the Batavia Kill leanto from the porkys.. It's also somewhat popular...

The berkshires got a dusting of snow last night but it'll be gone by today...

Jay

...Jay, I'll keep my guard up for those porupines :eek:. And by traffic, you mean human traffic, right?

I know it's 5 days away but Thursday is supposed to be over 70 degrees F in Hunter, NY! I think things will definitely be different than it was back in February.

You're probably right Peakbagr...the Batavia Kill might be challenging to cross.

According to my ADK Catskill Guide Book, on the way to the Batavia Kill lean-to via the Black Dome Mountain Trail (from the end of Big Hollow Road) one crosses a bridge over the Batavia Kill at 0.1 miles. The Batavia Kill is crossed again at 0.3 miles. Does anyone know if this second crossing includes a bridge? Somehow, I doubt it.

And once I reach the junction with the actual Batavia Kill Trail and head towards the lean-to, the stream is crossed again. I'm sure at this last crossing, there is no bridge. Can anyone confirm?

Just want to know because I might do a night time assault.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean hiker traffic since it's a real short walk from the summer trailhead.

Jay

Encountered about a wheel barrow full of ice on the trail. Started at Elmar Barnum Road...east to Lockwood Gap, down passed the spring (running good) and up to the Batavia Kill Lean-to...over Blackhead and back to the car at the Elmar Barnum PA. The only place I encountered some ice was on the north side of Blackhead. Other than that...sans!!! By the time you're reading this all ice will probably be gone in that area. It may have well been summer while there...temps in the upper 70s...maybe 80.

Glad I opted not to spend the night at the Batavia Kill Lean-to. Will volunteer to help refurbish it if the opportunity arrives. Those light colored patches on the floor looked like porcupines at work. Good call Jay.

DSCN5152.jpg

Last edited: