White Mountains Winter 48 Finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
On March 8 I climbed Galehead and South Twin from Gale River Rd to finish a single- season winter round of the White Mountain 4000 footers. I started hiking on Jan. 25 with Owl’s Head and East Osceola/Osceola. I will be posting a list of the days/mountains with www.48in1winter.com so I won’t go into detail about the combinations. With the generally good weather I was able to combine peaks together efficiently to finish in a total of 18 hiking days. Procook131 and I teamed up for Cabot/Waumbek on Feb. 13 and also for a Zealand/Bonds traverse on Feb. 27. Otherwise, I was climbing solo. I am familiar with the Whites with almost two non-winter rounds completed over the last couple of years, but as most of us know, winter is different.

You’re probably wondering why someone would start a winter round at the end of January. It is because I completed a single-season winter round of the Adirondack 46 on Jan. 21. I live in the Adirondacks and started hiking Dec. 21st as usual. With the mild weather (which could have ended any time), I just kept going to an earlier than expected finish (my fastest ever). With time on my hands, or is it my feet (?), I thought this might be a good opportunity to work on my NH 48W list. I really had no plans to finish this year; I was just going out there to have fun. But when the weather continued to be so cooperative, I thought I might have a chance. There are a number of past and present hikers in the NY and NH hiking communities who were/are capable of completing both lists in a single season, but I don’t know if anyone has actually done it. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of any single-season double list finishers. I expect it has been done before.

In 2009 I posted a comparison of non-winter rounds of the Whites vs. Adirondacks. The current attachment View attachment comp 46W+48W.pdf is a comparison of some highlights of my two recent winter rounds. As I concluded for the summer rounds, the overall degree of difficulty of climbing the Whites and Adirondacks in winter was very similar. The Whites involved more miles (274 mi vs. 256 mi) yet it was possible to do them in less time (118 hours vs. 126 hours) resulting in faster overall hiking rate. Although there are many contributing factors, I think the generally more moderate grades and better constructed trails in the Whites are important. In addition, the Adirondack herdpaths (and many of the marked trails) are rougher and slower to hike in any season. I have not shown altimeter data (because of inherent errors in winter altitude calculation), but it agrees with the summer data showing the Whites to have greater total ascent by about 13%. The bottom line is that, summer or winter, I can hike faster in the Whites than I can in the Adirondacks, and I conclude again:

The Whites are harder than the Adirondacks . . . but they’re easier! :)

Congrats on some awesome hiking, hope you had lots of good views when hiking the 94's.

I just started hiking last year in the ADK's and did a round and I'm the opposite of you, I hike faster in the ADK's then in the White's!

-Chris

WOW is all I have to say! Huge congrats to you and truely a job well done! :D You are a machine and hiking legend by my standards, grats!

SSW48 + SSW46 = WOW!

Great accomplishment Joe! Nice "meeting" you and Procook131 on Cabot.

Joe,

Wow - very "cool" accomplishment. I haven't heard of that one before....but I'm usually the last to hear anything so don't put much weight in that. I'm sure someone will chime in if it's been done.

What was the overall most challenging day for you?

Incredible job, Joe. Really hard to imagine.

Maybe next year if you push yourself a little harder, you could include the VT and ME mountains, but there's only 19 of them.:eek: Short work for a guy like you! :D:D

Congrats, Joe!

That's a lot of driving as well!

Not bad for an old Dude :)

(ducking and running for cover)

Sabrina, you are right about the driving--the good weather was an important factor in getting to NH. Actually, it was only five trips.

As an "old Dude", I wear the appellation with pride. As I said in the ADK 46W thread:
My real message for readers is that no matter who you are, what is your age, or your current state of fitness, you can improve and achieve goals which you never imagined--if you are willing to keep working at it.

As I previously posted on ADKHPs, Rejean is a W115er (the only one I personally know from the 48in1winter site). But from what I can dredge up, he did the SSW46 and the SSW48 in consecutive years. So this may be a unique accomplishment!

The Whites are harder than the Adirondacks . . . but they’re easier! :)
I agree with you. Another factor which contributes is accessibility. Mostly the trailheads in the Adirondacks are on the perimeter, and in the Whites you have highways running thru the mountains. Included in the issue of accessibility is that NH tends to maintain (i.e., plow) trailheads, and I've found NY has other priorities.

As an "old Dude", I wear the appellation with pride. As I said in the ADK 46W thread:
My real message for readers is that no matter who you are, what is your age, or your current state of fitness, you can improve and achieve goals which you never imagined--if you are willing to keep working at it.

Can't wait to read about what fun trouble you get yourself into next - thanks for continuing to inspire:)

Sabrina, you are right about the driving--the good weather was an important factor in getting to NH. Actually, it was only five trips.

A hearty congratulations to you for all these accomplishments and words of encouragement. I am an "old Dudette" and stories like yours really do inspire. Thank you. :)

REALLY neat Joe! :cool:

REALLY neat Joe! :cool:

Thanks, Cath. Looking at your own impressive list of accomplishments, you need to visit the Adirondacks some time. I'm sure you can handle the challenge! :)

Congrats! Joe Cedar.. You should be able to finish the VT 4Ks in the time left for winter too so get moving.. I'd be interested in Abe/Ellen!

jay