2012 - 4,000 Footer Club dinner-award ceremony

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll be there. My youngest daughter, Sage, is getting her certificate and we are very excited to cheer her on! Hopefully, Alex and I will get certificates too, for winter, but we still have one more hike to go and I don't want to assume anything.

Regarding dogs: last year, there were a lot of dogs left in cars. The evening was cool and windows were cracked or left open.

Getting two awards this year so I hope to go.

We leave our dogs in their car crates while inside. Its nice that the ceremony is in April so the weather is mild enough to do that.

I went last year and it was great! Met lots of hiking celebrities and nice 48 thous. footer peoples.I should go this year to motivate me to finish my all season 67,which I had planned on finishing by last year originally[woops]. Finishing my 48 was one of the most positive steps I have ever taken in my life. I would go on with how much I dig the a.m.c. but as a third generation member,I am a little biased.Congrats to all who hope to get awards this year! And dont listen to the talk about the pizza, IT WAS GREAT....:)

Hey Aaron...the Ashland Booze and Vittles contingent will be there to cheer the finishers on!!

nice to meet you over at the Common Man post Irene

Well done!!!

Went last year, going this year.

I live in Stratham, a few miles from the school (which is where the ceremony is held). I will go again this year as it is Rich's turn (husband) for the NH 48.

Last year, the pizza was horrific (and I will eat just about anything)! Cafeteria pizza is better than what we had!

So this year Rich and I are meeting for dinner at 5 at Margaritas just off Route 101 in Exeter, expecting we will be at the school by 6:15. It's Mexican food but its a big restaurant, fast and open early. And it is easy to get to the school from there. Want to join us?

NH like all eastern states is running 4-6 weeks ahead for season and temps may be warm. We had 90 degrees two weeks ago.

Let me know if you are interestd in Margaritas. Or if you need any advice about the fine town of Stratham - dining, lodging, cow tipping.

...Last year, the pizza was horrific (and I will eat just about anything)! Cafeteria pizza is better than what we had!

I think that's part of the charm of that 4K award 'dinner'. Some years I been the food has been quite ghastly, other times OK. I think the HS home ec class sometimes makes it which might account for 'variety'.

Dog friendly walks

I am excitedly looking forward to the Saturday evening event and meeting all you folks. I am coming up Friday mid afternoon and staying thru Sunday AM. Aside from fenced in dog parks, are there any nice places to walk a dog 1-4 miles in length (preferably no leash) relatively flat within 20 miles of Exeter. Any coastal nature walks you would recommend. I have the AMC book Nature Walks along the Seacoast, but it does not make any mention of which walks I can take my dog and walk off leash. My wife is coming and she is not a hiker, just a woodland walker. If you want to get in contact with me to take me someplace nice for a couple of hours...send me a PM today or tomorrow and I'll call you (we can exchange cell phone numbers). I am staying at the Around the Corner B&B in Exeter.

Thanks, Aaron (askus3)

I'm going, taking the wife even though she's not a hiker, though I'm skipping the pizza (after numerous warnings). Looking forward to meeting some fellow hikers.

ETA: Aaron, it's not within Exeter though not far either, but Pawtuckaway State Park has some nice walking trails. I hike the north mountain (1011') several times per year because it's so close to me and quite interesting with its "Boulder Field" and awesome cliffs. The south mountain has great views and a fire tower, but it's usually crowded with people.

Last edited:
Re: places for a walk in the Exter, NH area

It seems to me that it should only take about 20 minutes to get to Rye, NH from Exeter, though I wouldn't dare give you directions because you would surely get lost! :eek: Along Route 1 in Rye you will find lovely beaches/state parks, including Odiorne, which is a fantastic place for a walk. Enjoy the weekend!

Odiorne does not allow dogs.
Here's a list of NH state parks that permit dogs; however, the parks listed do require leashes.
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/pets.pdf

Generally at the town beaches in that area, dogs are prohibited only from Memorial Day through Labor Day and often (I can't guarantee) off-leash is allowed outside those times. You could also try a state park or state beach that isn't staffed outside those times.

Last edited:
Walk your dog at Stratham Hill

I am excitedly looking forward to the Saturday evening event and meeting all you folks. I am coming up Friday mid afternoon and staying thru Sunday AM. Aside from fenced in dog parks, are there any nice places to walk a dog 1-4 miles in length (preferably no leash) relatively flat within 20 miles of Exeter. Any coastal nature walks you would recommend. I have the AMC book Nature Walks along the Seacoast, but it does not make any mention of which walks I can take my dog and walk off leash. My wife is coming and she is not a hiker, just a woodland walker. If you want to get in contact with me to take me someplace nice for a couple of hours...send me a PM today or tomorrow and I'll call you (we can exchange cell phone numbers). I am staying at the Around the Corner B&B in Exeter.

Thanks, Aaron (askus3)

Hi Aaron, you can walk your dog without a leash at Stratham Hill Park off of Route 33 in Stratham. Route 101 exit off to Route 108/33 and head toward Portsmouth on Route 33 - The park is well marked and on your right. Many people walk their dogs there and there is an easy trail system around the fire tower. Let me know if you need more instructions - not sure of any place in Exeter that is truly dog friendly. Some walk their dogs on the fields behind Phillips Exeter Academy but I am not sure if they are allowed to.

I'm going, taking the wife even though she's not a hiker, though I'm skipping the pizza (after numerous warnings). Looking forward to meeting some fellow hikers.

ETA: Aaron, it's not within Exeter though not far either, but Pawtuckaway State Park has some nice walking trails. I hike the north mountain (1011') several times per year because it's so close to me and quite interesting with its "Boulder Field" and awesome cliffs. The south mountain has great views and a fire tower, but it's usually crowded with people.

Tramper and wife, consider going with us to Margaritas for dinner - about 14 of us are meeting there at 5:00 for a quick dinner and then heading to the ceremony. Margaritas is in Exeter on the way to the school, easy to find and can serve us fast. Great way to meet the locals.

NH Tramper: Are you sure I can take my dog into Pawtuckaway? On their website it says "Dogs are not allowed in the park."

Stratham Hill looks like it is OK for Friday afternoon. If anyone has a specific preserve they'd recommend - let me know. Remember, I have a dog. I already signed up for pizza at the HS, so 'll pass on Margarita's. If Pawtuckaway is no good, I'd like a place to go for a 3 hour/5 mile/2 mph paced hike Saturday morning. Maybe 8-11 AM.

See you all Saturday evening.

Aaron (askus3)