2012 - 4,000 Footer Club dinner-award ceremony

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pawtuckaway

The SP is closed, so access with a dog is probably possible. That said, I never go in the main entrance. The best access to the "mountains" is from Reservation Road off Rte. 107 in Deerfield. Go about a mile and pass under the power lines. Bear right at the fork. Near the bottom of a steep winding hill you'll see a gated road on the left, this will lead to North Mountain. Further down Reservation Rd. is the road and trails to South Pawtuckaway Mtn. where the fire tower is. Either way is a good bet for a hike with a dog. We take Emma all the time. I do not know this as fact, but I believe the dog restriction is to the camping/beach area. We have never had a problem and have done dozens of hikes in the "mountains" with Emma.

http://mapq.st/Ia7dkn

http://www.nhstateparks.com/Maps/pawhiking.html

KDT

Hi Aaron. KDT saved me some typing, definitely enter via Reservation Rd. off of 107 and not via the main park entrance. Before my shepherd passed away I used to take him there all the time, and I never even bothered with a leash as he was people-friendly and nobody was ever bothered by it. I was considerate, though, and did pick up after him if he pooped on or near the trails.

Personally I'd keep right on driving past the south mountain/fire tower until you get to the Boulder Field or even further to Round Pond (best), then follow the trail for the north mountain (it's the lesser-traveled and prettiest part of the park I think). There are some nice loops there, some going for several miles. Here's a map (PDF). I usually enter from the Nottingham side via Deerfield/Nottingham Rd (entering via Round Pond Rd.) and I walk in -- but you'll more than likely have difficulty finding that way in since it's not marked making Reservation Rd the best way. If I do a loop from there, past the pond to the Boulders, over the north mountain and back and it's roughly 6.3 miles. Parking at the pond and doing it from there is about a mile less round trip.

HTH.

Mike

ETA: I'm not doing anything Saturday during the day. If you want give me a call (PM me for my number) and I can meet you and give you a guided tour. Any excuse to be in the woods works for me.

Last edited:
The SP is closed, so access with a dog is probably possible. That said, I never go in the main entrance. The best access to the "mountains" is from Reservation Road off Rte. 107 in Deerfield. Go about a mile and pass under the power lines. Bear right at the fork. Near the bottom of a steep winding hill you'll see a gated road on the left, this will lead to North Mountain. Further down Reservation Rd. is the road and trails to South Pawtuckaway Mtn. where the fire tower is. Either way is a good bet for a hike with a dog. We take Emma all the time. I do not know this as fact, but I believe the dog restriction is to the camping/beach area. We have never had a problem and have done dozens of hikes in the "mountains" with Emma.

http://mapq.st/Ia7dkn

http://www.nhstateparks.com/Maps/pawhiking.html

KDT

I agree with my Kevin. Was at Pawtuckaway on April 1. Below are a couple things to add:
  1. The road that leads to the South and Middle Mountain traditional trailheads was gated. If it still is, you would have to walk the road to the trailheads (3/4 mile?). The trailheads have good signage.
  2. There were a few people walking dogs that day.

Regards,
Marty

I have been to Pawtuckaway and with all of you confirming I can take my dog, that firms up Saturday morning. I found some info about the Sweet Trail. Is that worth taking my dog on. How strict is it and how popular is it if I could let my dog off leash (small shih-tzu). He stays with me like glue. I sometimes trip over him as he gets underfoot. I am thinking of going over there Friday evening. Which section should I hike (P1 to P2) or
(P2 to P3)? Also, on Sunday morning I was going to go over and check out the Riverside Dog Bark Park in Raymond (maybe also on my way out from Pawtuckaway), are there usually small dogs there?

Anyway, thank you all for the help in making this a dog-friedly weekend. See you all Saturday evening.

I highly recommend including the boulder field along the Boulder Trail in Pawtuckaway.

They're so big, they look fake. :D

Seriously, huge.

NH Tramper: Are you sure I can take my dog into Pawtuckaway? On their website it says "Dogs are not allowed in the park."

Stratham Hill looks like it is OK for Friday afternoon. If anyone has a specific preserve they'd recommend - let me know. Remember, I have a dog. I already signed up for pizza at the HS, so 'll pass on Margarita's. If Pawtuckaway is no good, I'd like a place to go for a 3 hour/5 mile/2 mph paced hike Saturday morning. Maybe 8-11 AM.

See you all Saturday evening.

Aaron (askus3)

The "Dogs are not allowed Rule" in Pawtuckaway is not enforced. There are many dogs in the park. I've been there the past 5 weekends both at the main entrance and at the northern entrance and am seeing tons of dogs. The road into the park is closed but you can park in the big parking lot at the top and walk from there. They discourage dogs from going up in the firetower and when the park is open, dogs are not allowed at the beach area.