Witnessing a Vision Realized on Cannon - 3-10-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
It was simply an incredible day to be in the mountains yesterday. A bluebird winter day on Cannon would always be special, but yesterday was so much more. We had the privilege of seeing history being made as Randy Pierce and Quinn, his seeing eye dog, complete the single season winter 48. What an incredible accomplishment! Randy is truly an inspiration. It was also great seeing many friends from the hiking community (and meeting some new ones).

The whole story in the blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/witnessing-vision-realized-on-cannon.html

And a bit of the vision...

Franconia Ridge from Cannon cliffs
IMG_2725.JPG

Randy and Quinn receiving the Order of the Golden Biscuit
IMG_0053.JPG

A beautiful narrative Mark. Sounds like the best way to bag this peak and some great weather for it as well. The pictures are breathtaking... Shocking how small people look when standing in Cannon cliffs. I also really appreciated your comparison of pursuing the list to following a treasure map of sorts. So now the real question is... What peak will you finish on?

Aw yes, the Order of the Golden Biscuit, presented by a very special friend. The members of that Order are a rather small group, as well it should be.

Aw yes, the Order of the Golden Biscuit, presented by a very special friend. The members of that Order are a rather small group, as well it should be.

I love it:). Cath always finds a way to make the TrailDoggers feel special.

As for Randy and Quinn - I don't things I can find enough words to express how I feel about their accomplishment, so I will just say they are a celebration of life, joy and connection that goes beyond words :)

Great pics and blog, Mark!

Last edited:
Mark,
What a wonderful story you have written. It is amazing what Randy and Quinn accomplished on Saturday when you consider the odds against them.

As you said, we all need to realize how fortunate we are in our lives and forget the small stuff. I am guilty of that as well.

Spectacular photos! The Franconia Ridge views are breathtaking. I assume that was with your new camera. Also, a cool idea including your photo from 2004 on Cannon. So glad you had a fantastic day.

As Owen mentioned, any idea of which summit you would like to finish on now that Cannon is in the bag?

Donna:)

Awesome TR and photos! What an amazing adventure Randy, Quinn and his support team have had in the past few months. It was definitely a great day on Cannon. I am glad to have shared it with everyone there!

Thanks everyone! It was definitely a day I'll remember for a long time to come.

Owen - there are other nicer routes to Cannon (at least in the snowless seasons) coming in the KRT from the other side but this was perfect for this day. You're right about the scale on the cliffs. You feel very small standing out there. As for the new choice for our final peak I'm not sure yet, but NOT Owl's Head! ;)

Kevin - I hadn't heard of the OOTGB before Saturday. When I Googled it the first thing that I found was a picture of Cath with "her buddy Brutie". Quinn surely is in great company. I also hadn't seen the PeakDoggers page on 48in1winter.com before. Great stuff. http://www.48in1winter.com/peakdoggers.shtml

Sabrina - you're so right about Randy and Quinn's "celebration of life, joy and connection that goes beyond words". The human-canine bond is an incredible thing (but I'm really not telling you anything you don't already know :) )

Donna - While I always find the views of Franconia Ridge to be breathtaking they were truly amazing this time. Standing on Cannon cliffs is quite an experience. As for the photos, most were actually with my P&S and not the new camera. I used the new one on the summit and on the cliffs but somehow managed (in "new dumb user" fashion) to get the ISO set to 6400, which is NOT recommended for outdoor shots on a beautiful sunny day. I salvaged some but will be paying much more attention next time. As for our final peak, I've now given it more thought and decided that it's NOT OWL"S HEAD! :rolleyes:

Jacob - thanks. Sorry we didn't meet you up there (or at least I don't think so). Seems like this happens so often...

I just read the story in the Nashua Telegraph: http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/print/?sid=2759237. It also aired on NH Public Radio. I can't say how much I'm proud of Randy and Quinn; including everyone who was involved! He is an inspiration for all visually impaired people. My mom is 100%blind [she cannot see any kind of light] and is an inspiration to me everyday with her positive attitude. I printed the story and will read it to her tonight. Her motto and Randy certainly has proved it, visually impaired people can do anything once they put their mind to it!

F. L. E. A. Four Legged Explorers Associaiton
an organization based out of Randolph, NH, has an impressive membership.

Barkley Mayer ~ Tuckerman Ray ~ Brutus Rooney ~ and now, The Mighty Quinn
have received the Golden Biscuit award.

how lucky are those that are the H.C. (human companions)

Loved the entire write-up Mark. And your photo's, breathtaking. Looking forward to hearing about your finish too.

Last edited:
Flea

And don't forget members Addie & Tenniky Shaffer, Echo Oreskes, Crescent Arnold, Elsa Scrimshaw Rowe, and my very own husky Sam... all of whom are chasing squirrels in dog heaven.

Congratulations to Randy & Quinn!