Lake Placid Lodging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
It looks like I might be finishing off my ADK 4,000 footers in early September for my annual vacation. I have about 13 peaks to go. The vacation is going to a combination of short backpacking trips and day hikes. I've typically stayed at a decent motel just outside of town [can't remember the name but it was not too far from McDonalds] but looking to stay someplace better with preferably an indoor/outdoor pool. Walking distance to town would be a plus. I'm looking for a price range of about $100-$125 per night if there is such a thing! I've searched the web and there many choices but would like to hear about personal recommendations. Thanks!

It looks like I might be finishing off my ADK 4,000 footers in early September for my annual vacation. I have about 13 peaks to go. The vacation is going to a combination of short backpacking trips and day hikes. I've typically stayed at a decent motel just outside of town [can't remember the name but it was not too far from McDonalds] but looking to stay someplace better with preferably an indoor/outdoor pool. Walking distance to town would be a plus. I'm looking for a price range of about $100-$125 per night if there is such a thing! I've searched the web and there many choices but would like to hear about personal recommendations. Thanks!
I don't usually go upscale in LP, but the Golden Arrow has a pool. I did stay there once a long time ago. They seem to have rates starting around $110.

Tmax-n-Topo's used to have a pool! :(

Maple Leaf Inn

We've stayed at the Maple Leaf Inn many times...just a few doors from McDonalds...toward downtown. Walking distance to downtown, and on the trolley line as well. Very comfortable, clean, motel. Several rooms have king beds! If you ask, they will give you old towels to clean off your boots!! Outdoor pool only...very nice. Picnic area, with grill and fire ring. The hosts (Rod & Barb) are nice people, very accommodating. Highly recommend!

When I finished my 46, I believe I got a room for the night in the Lake Placid Summit Hotel. It is just off main street and has a pool (although I didn't use) and was quite affordable and nice rooms. From what I can remember of it, nice place for the price.

Saranac Lake

A short drive away is Saranac Lake, and motel rates are much more reasonable there.

Thanks for the advice. The place I stayed at before was Maple Leaf Inn. Decent place...I liked the 'barely' separated cottages but looking for something better. Tmax-n-topo certainly looks like a good option for another time but this time I'm looking to live it up a bit. After all, I worked all year long and should treat myself when I'm in town. I checked out the Golden Arrow website and for the price, location and amenities, it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks! If anyone else has other options, let me know!

I've stayed in a multitude of places in LP over the years, and never really had a bad stay anywhere - each place has it's own charm.

Not sure from your post exactly what your plans are, time wise. Suggestion is that if you are heading up mid-week, some of the resorts have some attractive packages - like a three-day mid-week package of something like that. Worth checking out. (Crowne Royal, Hilton, Mirror Lake Inn...)

My problem is trying to figure in the pool... Marriott has the new Courtyard out Cascade Dr. as well as the Econo-Lodge. Agree with the previous mention of the Golden Arrow as a nice option.

Depending on how many are in your party - there are also some excellent opportunities for house rentals (again... not sure how long you are going for) - you might not get a pool, but most have a hot-tub. If you are not familiar with VRBO - take a look [vrbo.com]

Just throwing out suggestions! ;)

We always stay at the Alpine Air. A little farther away from downtown than the others, but still within walking distance. I walked to Cobble Hill, bushwhacked up Mount Whitney, and continued around Mirror Lake and back again to the motel the afternoon of the Spring 2010 Forty-Sixer banquet.

Only an outdoor pool, but it’s usually only $50 a night, too (although I never made it to the Adirondacks in 2011, and I don’t know how the rates will be in September 2012).

Howard Johnson’s is practically across the street. Or, most rooms should have a pot in which to heat water for instant oatmeal, if that’s what you have for breakfast.

What do you have left to climb?

I stayed at the Alpine Air for the first time this winter. Price is up to $60/night, but still a great price for a nice place. It was better than sharing the back of an suv with 1ADAM12 at 15 below zero that's for sure!!:D

Consider Town House Lodge. Friendly owners, nice rooms, and parking available in front of the door to your room (very convenient). I've been staying there for over 10 years. Highly recommended.

Whatever you do, avoid The Prague Inn..seriously!

You're the only person I know who's actually stayed there. It has this Psycho-creepy aura.

Another place to avoid: The Edelweiss Motel on Wilmington Road. Like sleeping in a neighbor's garage.

Not sure why RollingRock needs a swimming pool as swimming in Mirror Lake will be excellent in September.

Prague Inn

hmmmm... I rented the house at the Prague Inn property when I was chaperoning with the J1-J2 Ski Team. The coach, couple guys, couple girls and I had a blast… I smile when I pass the place thinking – as sorta weird as it is – we had a fine time. I remember the owner being very nice to use, but having his "own" rules with regard to certain things (sorta fuzzy memory).