Where to go near Franconia Notch this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are planning on heading up to Lincoln this weekend for two days and trying to get some final snowshoeing in for the winter. I'm guessing the Franconia Notch area is a little less summery right now than southern NH, judging by trailsnh.com. Can anyone give me some suggestions on mountains and trails to hit? We're thinking Canon and Liberty/Flume. Not sure exactly which routes we'll try, so I'm open to suggestions from the experts.

Given the forecast for the rest of the week, plan on April conditions by this weekend. Basically boilerplate in the AM with any south or westfacing exposed areas turning into slush with the possibility of postholing (even with snowshoes). Definitely worth getting going early in the AM and getting done early. Osseo trail up Flume is generally nice in the AM and sheltered from the sun in the PM so usually the trail doesnt get rotten in the afternoon. There is a flat stretch near the top after the stairs that can get soft.

Of course even with those potential conditions, if the long range forecast stay accurate it will be hard to stay away for the Lafayette Lincoln Loop. Its your call on the direction you travel but usually the upper stretch of Falling Waters trail can get real soft in the afternoon.

(plan on the parking lot being full by 8 AM.

Given the forecast for the rest of the week, plan on April conditions by this weekend.

Exactly what I was thinking. I like the idea of the Osseo Trail. I was thinking of the Flume & Liberty Loop, but thought it might be a bit dicey in winter/spring conditions. Any thoughts on Cannon?

Exactly what I was thinking. I like the idea of the Osseo Trail. I was thinking of the Flume & Liberty Loop, but thought it might be a bit dicey in winter/spring conditions. Any thoughts on Cannon?

I would do the Osseo, but if I had to do Cannon, I would ascend via Lonesome lake or the high cannon trail ( been years so check the map) and descend the Kinsman ridge trail then walk back to my car via the bike path, but thats just me. The Liberty- Flume loop via the slide is steep and traction would be imperative for the flume slide trail, or you could summit Liberty via Liberty springs and run over to Flume then backtrack to Liberty and desend Liberty springs as you ascended, this options gives you both peaks with a much easier and less technical ascent.

FYI as far as I know today was the official last day for the snowmobile trails, there will be no more grooming of the snow (if there's even any left) on the bike path.

I guess I'll plan on snow up high and bare ground at the bottom and just carry everything I can. Even if the trails are slushy, I'll hold out for good views and fresh air :)