East West Highway Study Funding for Maine approved by Maine Senaate

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The proposed east to west highway in Maine has been in and out of the news over the years but seems to have come back in a different form. The previous studies were aligned roughly with the Rt 2 corridor thru western maine, northern NH and VT. Lately it has morphed into running it across the undeveloped NW quadrant of Maine tieing into I 95 south east of Baxter and running west to Coburn Gore (Jackman Me) area. This would cut a major swath across the state and would be funded privately as a toll road. I expect you will be seeing more of this effort as it will completely change a big chunk of Maine, that has previously been accessed only via private logging roads. The rational is that freight shipments going from the central canada can be shipped faster across Maine to Eastern Canada than through Canada if there was a limited access highway. Currently trucks can use RT 2 but it is slow as it runs through many towns along the way.

http://www.wgme.com/template/inews_wire/wires.regional.me/2a4195fc-www.wgme.com.shtml

Previously ME NH and VT had used the original study as a driver for upgrading RT 2, If one travels east to west through the states there are many locations where the road has bee upgraded with longer site lines and passing zones. I believe the Bethel to Gilead stretch done over the last few years is indicative of this type of upgrade.

Last edited:
Al it need is the governeor to sign it (he has indicated he will)

There is a general layout of the proposed highway in the link. I guess the 100 mile wilderness is not going to be so wild.

That map is frustratingly tiny and undetailed, but it looks kind of like the proposed route is a little south of the 100 Mile Wilderness.

I haven't been following this at all, but how much would such a route help Maine's economy? Or is it some kind of hare-brained scheme like the Plum Creek thing on Moosehead Lake?

Looks like by cutting out NH & VT they get a shorter route to Montreal, but couldn't they save even more with ToFC assuming that this is thru traffic?

I found a better map. They're coming across 16 through Dover-Foxcroft, then a tote road from there to 201 at the Forks, then old rail ROW and existing roads to hook back up with 16/27 in the Sugarloaf / Stratton area, then as you say following 27 up and into Quebec.

Hopefully this comes through:
CIANBRO-Presentation-21-600x382.jpg

If not, go to this article and click on the map image.

So it will help transport Canadian goods to Canada by paying a toll to go through Maine. (you'll need an additional customs officers & a new or much larger station for this road too, right? that cost probably would be all taxpayers paying for Federal employees salaries & benefits)

What's the toll going to be to pay back the $2B & in how many years? (Supporters say it will cost $2B, what will it really cost if the optimist think it will be $2B? Anyone know how much the NY Thruway generates from Albany to Buffalo? they really won't have that much traffic, it likely will take decades or longer to pay it back.)

I suppose it will allow for greater Canadian access to Sugarloaf & Saddleback maybe finally allowing enough to skiers easier access to Saddleback to make the long discussed growth plans for Saddleback financially feasible? (They may need to change the signs at the NH/ME border on 95)

Is this a plan to open the Northwoods for easier more access for tourism (higher priced than backpacking & with more jobs & you get to cut all those trees) from Canada as metro NY'ers can't seem to drive all the ME when they have other options closer to NYC. Canadian tourist to that area may be easier to draw if you just improve (build) a road that is in your own state.

How many billions would it cost to improve 95 southern NE to make it quicker to drive to ME from NYC. (You'd need a bridge over CT & most of MA + around Providence :D)

If they build it, it opens the whole area to more commercial development. Will Northern ME become the new Canadian playground? Will they bring oil & gas into the US this way.......:rolleyes:

the way I read the posts so far (and I know VERY LITTLE about this project, but I can say that I travel that Rt 2 corridor between ME and NH a couple times a year)...is that the governor is just signing approval for the project STUDY, right?
When I was on the AT, I remember having a conversation with Bob Peoples about building new sections of trail, and he remarked that relocation is quite a challenge (though not impossible), due to the 4 season studies that have to be completed on the land in question - biologists go through with a fine-toothed comb, looking for endangered species/habitat/etc. Does anyone know if this is the case for new roads, as well?
Again, not being an expert, I would imagine that it would take a fairly long time to complete that whole process...by which time a sane individual may have won the governorship of the state of Maine.

It doesnt directly support the western RT 2 option as that has been a political hot potato for many years.Given the combination of the WMNF, the extension of the Lake Umbagog wildlife refuge and other conservation land in Northern NH, the likelyhood of routing a new east west interstate through the region would be very difficult. NH and VT have decided that they can get 80% of the benefits of an interstate with far less impact in upgrading RT 2 in places. If you drive it frequently in VT and NH and ME there are usually major unpgrades implemented everyyear (like the stretches between I 89 and Danville, the stretch from Jefferson to Randolph, the older stretch through Shelburne and the new stretch through Gilead. There was also a substantial upgrade of the Framington bypass (not signed as RT 2 but saves 15 to 20 minutes), the stretch from Clinton to Norrigewock and a couple of long stretches from Hanover Me to Wilton.

The study is "investment grade", the proponents claim to have the private financial backing for the project and if the congressional delegation is on board it also goes quicker as they can encourage the army corp of engineers to fasttrack the permitting. A large portion goes over private land of willing sellers as it opens opens up financial benefits. It also supports the bio-coal production facility in Millinocket as a means of bringing more wood from a farther distance and opens up eastern ME which is desperate for any crumbs that may fall their way.

Last edited:
I found a better map. They're coming across 16 through Dover-Foxcroft, then a tote road from there to 201 at the Forks, then old rail ROW and existing roads to hook back up with 16/27 in the Sugarloaf / Stratton area, then as you say following 27 up and into Quebec.

Hopefully this comes through:
CIANBRO-Presentation-21-600x382.jpg

If not, go to this article and click on the map image.

FYI the Lower Enchanted Road which is referenced in MichaelJ's map is the traditional Dead River access route and runs pretty darn close to the new Enchanted section of the Maine Huts & Trails route. See hereEnchanted1200.jpg

This reminds me of the proposed I-3 that would link Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN. Stretches of the proposed route have in the last decade seen the current rural highways going from 2 lanes to 4 lanes with many bypasses of the town centers. Opposition to I-3 are mainly the proposed routes through the mountains of GA, TN, and NC. Also some say this has more to do as a direct transportation link between the Port of Savannah with both the Savannah River Site (SRS) and Oak Ridge both Dept of Energy nuclear sites. Both of the sites have been rumored to be storage sites with the failure of Yucca Mountain. SRS was already designated as a temporary storage site 'til Yucca went online.

Stud Mill Rd in the E is a timber haul road used to access Machias R and other canoe trips as well as many fire tower peaks, another recreational use is geocaching "power run" of over 100 caches in a day

But if this toll rd is built the landowners will no doubt replace any lost sections with new access rd, don't believe there will be exits out there

Wouldn't this road violate some Maine statute? I thought there was one that dictated for every 10 miles of east/west travel, all roads must deviate at least 30 miles in a north/south direction?

FYI the Lower Enchanted Road which is referenced in MichaelJ's map is the traditional Dead River access route and runs pretty darn close to the new Enchanted section of the Maine Huts & Trails route. See hereView attachment 3674

Here is what the Lower Enchanted Road looked like during my bike-to-Baxter-and-back summer '08 ride.

Attachments

• 942938896209.jpg
    942938896209.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 298
Sigh. Beautiful road. Though I must admit I don't remember it fondly, bouncing and jolting along in an old hunk of a school bus to the put-in for the Dead. Ouch.

Sigh. Beautiful road. Though I must admit I don't remember it fondly, bouncing and jolting along in an old hunk of a school bus to the put-in for the Dead. Ouch.

It is kinda hard to appreciate the ride when you are doing it as part of the paddler's shuttle. When I was in that role it was in the back of a one, or deuce and a half, truck that had some kind of canvas cover a la WWII lorry that the Webb's were using as a shuttle vehicle in the late 80's. However, traversing the road on a bicycle has it's own special charm. I highly recommend it.

How about we leave Maine COMPLETELY ALONE? The state is amazing just how it is. Many parts have an incredible Alaskan feel to them. Development begets more development, which begets more development.

I'd love to see the entire country stop building interstates. Interstates have no character or soul.

How about we leave Maine COMPLETELY ALONE? The state is amazing just how it is.

It's really up to the people of Maine. If they're suffering and impoverished and see this as a way to bring in more money, it's what they're going to want to do.

Certainly, if they tried to make money off their tourist industry by charging money for access to the forests, mountains, lakes, and rivers, we'd all log into VFTT to complain and moan and say how we're gonna do it anyway and not pay...

Don't mess with Maine

This boondoggle is never going to happen. Toll roads mean limited access with toll booths at entry/exit points. I can't envision there being much demand for building many of those. This comes across to me as an Interstate Commerce effort and not much more.

Study all they want, but don't build it!

NIMBY!

It's really up to the people of Maine. If they're suffering and impoverished and see this as a way to bring in more money, it's what they're going to want to do.

Certainly, if they tried to make money off their tourist industry by charging money for access to the forests, mountains, lakes, and rivers, we'd all log into VFTT to complain and moan and say how we're gonna do it anyway and not pay...

I can't agree with ya on this one MichaelJ. The reason is because only 5% of the population seriously considers its impact on future generations (I can write a book on this if you'd like :)). Most decisions are made with only considering impact over the next few years. An interstate in Maine would only bring it more towards just about every other state on the East Coast that doesn't have enough nature.

This is why I love the state of Vermont. They are one of only a few states that I consider on top of the ball in terms of keeping their state as beautiful as possible.

I want the Nature Conservancy to start buying up entire states. That would please me greatly.

Last edited: