A Public Plug for REI's Customer Service Approach

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
Several years ago (wasn't sure until I visited the store today), I spent what was for me a lot of money on a hard-shell jacket, almost $300 (an eVent "Shuksan"). The zipper was balky, but they reassured me that it would work and that I could return it if it wasn't to my liking.

I never did like the zippers, but I gave them the college try and used the coat, hard, for what turned out to be over three years. It performed beautifully, until the main zipper did indeed begin to fail, separating from the bottom-up this past winter.

For that amount of money, there was no way I was going to just lump it, and the design made it a poor candidate for repair, so I brought it back today. I couldn't remember when I had bought it, and didn't have a receipt. I wondered what kind of case I would have to make.

They, however, found the initial purchase immediately, including the date and the credit-card used, and refunded me the amount with perfect customer-service attitude. I then went upstairs and found the identical model jacket, with a new and improved zipper, and bought it.

None of this should be remarkable, but it is. Thank you, REI, for your policy, for training your staff so well, for keeping records, for putting the onus on yourselves instead of on me (I had no receipt, their records were perfect, three-plus years later), for doing the job well.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with them; this is unsolicited.

I'll be back for more, for sure, great job!

--Mike.

I just posted this recently on Facebook. REI ROCKS!!!

The zipper on my beloved Patagonia down "sweater" broke" so Mol and I took a road trip to REI. There were only few left, and none in my size. Found this Marmot on sale for $109 so I got it, and the difference was refunded on my REI VISA card.
LOVE REI!
IMG_0261.jpg

They are the best for customer service. Hands down. End of story. EMS is catching up and has adopted a similar "return everything forever" policy. Nice to have options.

Of course there are also the REI garage sales. Crazy low prices on stuff others have returned. Often near brand new for next to nothing. We've gotten many great deals this way. My last two pairs of summer hiking boots (which have now gotten me through 5 seasons) cost e $20 each!

Oh yeah, there's also the member dividends...

Of course there are also the REI garage sales. Crazy low prices on stuff others have returned. Often near brand new for next to nothing. We've gotten many great deals this way. My last two pairs of summer hiking boots (which have now gotten me through 5 seasons) cost e $20 each!

Oh yeah, there's also the member dividends...

not to mention MA tax :rolleyes: which is why I shop at EMS...

Tim

not to mention MA tax :rolleyes: which is why I shop at EMS...

So go to the MA store, figure out what you want to buy, then get it online. You live in a state with no sales tax, and they have no physical presence there anyway.

There are NO REIs in western mass, so we just get charged the sales tax with no option to really go to REI.

My nearest REI is in West Hartford... CT..

But then I just go to the Arcadian Shop, which is the local store.. The EMS here is quite small..

Jay

The closest REI to me is in Reading, MA. If I drove to all three closest EMS stores in order, it would still be less driving than REI. It's not just the tax. Plus, EMS is a NH-based company.

Tim

None of this should be remarkable, but it is. Thank you, REI, for your policy, for training your staff so well, for keeping records, for putting the onus on yourselves instead of on me (I had no receipt, their records were perfect, three-plus years later), for doing the job well.

^^^There are the takeaways (bolded), right there. <facepalm>

Almost daily I'm in awe of just how poor many businesses' customer service policies and, more importantly, personnel truly are. With so many purchase options these days (thanks to the Interwebs and FedEx/UPS), it incredibly easy to lose customers due to bad C.S. -- and really hard to get 'em back once they leave.

REI Framingham is 130 miles round trip but I make it an outing. I wait until I need several items or have a serious problem that I want to resolve quickly. Something like my broken zipper on the Patagonia. I really needed a lightweight functional jacket for this time of year. I consider that a "gear emergency"! I time it so on the way home Molly and I can have a nice hike somewhere in central MA. Starbucks is also close to REI for the pm fix.

I drive 76 miles roundtrip to the foothills-western MA to hike ~4 days per week. My closest hike to home is 40 miles round trip so it doesn't seem overwhelming to drive 130 to the store of my dreams! Hate to spend the money on gas so I shut the oil burner off end of Feb, and used only 175 gal of oil this year. I would much rather spend the money on fuel for hiking. :D

I can recall going to REI to buy new hiking boots because the ones I had purchased about 8 mo previous were not working for me. They exchanged them without my even asking. I never expected them to do that and was very surprised and pleased when they offered.

Perhaps they will open more REI's soon. We surely could use one out in this neighborhood, or even the Berkshires. The Arcadian shop is nice but the selection seems so limited. They sure do cram a lot in that small space.

I remembered seeing this thread a few months ago and just had an incredibly positive experience with REI.

I have an old Yakima rack and purchased new clips for the new car from REI when they were on sale two weeks ago. I opened the clips to find that they didn't have fit instructions for the new car so I called Yakima. They walked me through all the measurements and proceeded to let me know that I needed the next generation Q Tower for the new car. This isn't for all new cars - just some. They started selling the new Q Tower in 2004 and I bought mine in 2003...go figure. They did tell me that they had an upgrade deal where you get the clips for free if you buy the Q Towers from a local dealer.

My next phone call was to REI who had never heard of the upgrade deal. They were going to look into it and call me back. I waited a few days and called them again, the Yakima sales rep happened to be there and he was able to work out the deal with store manager. I just had to go to REI with the clips that I purchased from them.

I just got back from the Cranston, RI store, not only did they give me credit for the clips that I previously purchased but they sold me the Q Towers at a discount. The reason being - I would have purchased the Q Towers on the date that I purchased the clips had I known I needed them and they were on sale then. I couldn't thank him enough!!!

Well, I've got an REI down sleeping bag that get used occassionally in winter. The zipper pull went, and REI did not stand behind it. They said tuff luck. It's too old.

Well, I've got an REI down sleeping bag that get used occassionally in winter. The zipper pull went, and REI did not stand behind it. They said tuff luck. It's too old.

Which store did you go to? That's absolutely not REI's policy. They basically guarantee everything they sell forever. Based on some of the items that you see at their garage sales you can definitely see it's true. I've seen everything from totally worn out hiking boots to a backpack that was mauled by a bear. You really should try again. I'm betting that they'll make good.

Which store did you go to? That's absolutely not REI's policy. They basically guarantee everything they sell forever. Based on some of the items that you see at their garage sales you can definitely see it's true. I've seen everything from totally worn out hiking boots to a backpack that was mauled by a bear. You really should try again. I'm betting that they'll make good.

Framingham

Peaks -

You may consider making another run at returning it. I am surprised to hear that and have only had the opposite experience at many stores in 4 different states...maybe ask for a manager.

I was at an REI in Ann Arbor, Michigan and they could not have been more helpful.