QR Codes on the Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Reaction score
Massassachusetts Avatar: It looks easy on t
I just read on the AMC's Equipment Blog (Appalachian Mountain Club's Equipped) about the use of QR Codes (those funny looking square bar codes you use with your smart phone) on trail signs. Come up to the trail sign with a QR code, whip out your smart phone, and get information about the trail and other important data the trail sponsor includes on the web site. COOL??? I think NOT!!!

1308152289_44847.jpg

1) You have to be in an area that has cell coverage.
2) I like to hike to get away from technology. Almost. I carry a cell phone for emergency use (when available) & a GPS (for safety reasons).
3) If you get to the trail sign and need a smart phone to get trail information, YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!! You should have all the trail info before your boots ever hit the ground.

Maybe I'm old school, but (IMHO) QR Codes and trail sign just don't mix.

See you on the trail.....(with my map and compass ;) ).....Walker

Last edited:
If Joe the Hiker goes missing, would it be possible for S&R to access any sort of digital records and see if Joe checked out any signs w/his smart phone in order to help figure out where he might be?

How many years will it take until there's a QR check-in thingy at every trail head, junction, summit etc. with obligatory check-in so you can be charged trail tolls according to hiking mileage. :D

If Joe the Hiker goes missing, would it be possible for S&R to access any sort of digital records and see if Joe checked out any signs w/his smart phone in order to help figure out where he might be?

Interesting question.
Also, it appears there are so many SAR's that involve folks who appear to have little or no hiking experience and/or savy. I wonder if it would be helpful to them. Perhaps they would turn back prior to getting into a heap of trouble, but the again, maybe not.

I'm with Maddy - if people haven't got a map, than perhaps this will help them. Might also start off with a list of the 10 essentials in addition to the trail info. We've been looking for ways to reach people in all the SAR threads... you know, we may be curmudgeons, and that is how many smart phone users will view us.

How much damage, intentional or weathering, will these carved QR codes be able to stand before they are unreadable? And wouldn't they be disallowed in Wilderness, where the signs don't even have mileage?

Could also have a code (a trail number, or abbreviation, say) which you text to a given number which would then text you back with the requested information. "Text CRAWP to 12345 for trail information."

Tim

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea ... for the type of place that it is actually in use. In the blog, note that this sign pictured was just a prototype, and in fact one black dot with a marker and it would be useless. The QR codes are actually found on the signs of the Sudbury Valley Trustees at the Memorial Forest in Sudbury. A place like that — a suburban forest or reservation — would be, in my opinion, well-served by this technology. Instead of having to maintain a box full of damp paper maps at the parking areas, you can go to the website beforehand or from the parking lot.

I'm totally *against* using these in National Forests, Wilderness Areas (obviously), or other "wild" locations; however, in the suburban or urban environment (think: walking vs. hiking) it's a pretty decent idea. They're just a web link that the smartphone knows how to recognize; the sign is basically saying "Go to www.mvlandbank.com." It just saves typing.

I'm totally *against* using these in National Forests, Wilderness Areas (obviously), or other "wild" locations

Why?

Tim
p.s. believe it or not, even being the geek that I am, I don't own a smart phone - I can't justify the data plan... maybe when my current plan runs out, but only 'cuz I get a good discount from my new employer.

My job is technology. I'm a geek. And you can call me a curmudgeon (well beyond Brian's 32). This is simply crazy! Bring a map. Even bring a GPS. Leave the barcodes in the supermarket and OFF the trail!

Interesting question.
Also, it appears there are so many SAR's that involve folks who appear to have little or no hiking experience and/or savy. I wonder if it would be helpful to them.
The reverse might be more useful to SAR... Put an RFID tag on the hikers and readers along the trail. SAR could then check the readers to track the missing hiker. (If you wanted to spend even more money, you could radio the RFID readings back to a central repository. Big Hiker is watching you...)

Personally, I think either the QR codes or the RFIDs are bad ideas. (And I think my credentials as an old technologist are adequately established... :) )

Actually, if you simply leave your cellphone turned on while you hike, it is sometimes possible to reconstruct your track after the fact. This works best in places where you can reach three or more cell towers unless you have a cellphone GPS broadcasting your locations.

Doug

Because I believe that to go hiking in such areas, one should already be prepared before the trailhead, and also given the inconsistencies of cell service in areas like the Whites it's better for people to not have such things available rather than have them inconsistently available.

It doesn't really take preparation to go take a walk in a local reservation or wildlife refuge.

Perhaps they would turn back prior to getting into a heap of trouble, but the again, maybe not.
Good Point. It seems that I inevitably run into a family in Jeans and tshirts hiking up the trail when I'm descending. They are usually about 1/3 the way up and they ask me in all seriousness if they are almost at the top. Sometime this is alarmingly late in the day. I'm sure I'm not the only one here experiencing this occurence on a regular basis.
QR codes are very ugly and I would rather not see them out on the trail, but having a little more info available at the trailheads doest seem like a bad idea.

edit: PS I tried to scan the QR code in the pic with my smart phone. No Luck. Anybody have a copy of the link to what this QR code actually brings you to?

Last edited:
I think I actually like this idea. This could help give information to those who are grossly unprepared. Let's face it, there are still masses of people that show up to trailheads with absolutely no information and no map. They'd at least get some potential warnings out of this if they scanned the code (assuming cell phone service works there).

Although it would make me nervous that some people may start relying on the QC codes (i.e. "I don't need a map, I'll just scan the QR code when I get there" sort of thing)

I would ONLY want this at VERY touristy trailheads where the unprepared always seem to get in trouble (i.e. Monadnock, Franconia Ridge, etc.).

Last edited:
Yes, this could be of aid to those who find themselves unprepared/lost in the mountains, but it may also attract people who normally wouldn't venture out, and this could result in a whole mess of new problems.
It seems to me that it would give people an "excuse" to come unprepared, because they can just use their phone to get them out of trouble... As mentioned before, what happens when these people get out of cell range and are unprepared for conditions/lost?

Seems a bit like moral hazard to me - people willing to get themselves into trouble because they think they will be bailed out when things go south. Like GPS, it gives people a new level of confidence which can be a good or a bad thing. These days there's no apprehension associated with driving into unknown areas because one can always press the "Go Home" button and there's no fear of getting lost...attracting over-confident, potentially unprepared hikers to the mountains doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

Maybe for an urban park, but please, not in the Whites.

Just my two cents...

Note that the QR codes seen in the article are probably a maximum of 50-150 text characters, or are a URL. They're not a wealth of information being presented. They're really just a shortcut to automatically take you to a website instead of having to read and type "www.foo.co/trails/deathmarch.html" into your phone.

While technically QR codes can be as many as 4000 characters of text, the codes become very detailed with a lot of dots, could likely not be carved into wood, and really, if you're doing text, just print it on the sign normally.

I think weather will destroy the QR code within a couple of years which will result in a requirement to replace the sign. More resources being wasted in the long run.

I would not be opposed for these to exist at popular trailheads where you already have a lot of signage and information given but at that point it's probably cheaper to post it on a paper and not waste taxpayer's money or money from our infamous WMNF car stickers.

P.S. I use T-mobile I usually lose reception quickly or won't have reception at all.

Awesome idea!

Maybe they can link to a bank account and automatically deduct a user fee....or rescue insurance premiums.

I think weather will destroy the QR code within a couple of years which will result in a requirement to replace the sign. More resources being wasted in the long run.

I would not be opposed for these to exist at popular trailheads where you already have a lot of signage and information given but at that point it's probably cheaper to post it on a paper and not waste taxpayer's money or money from our infamous WMNF car stickers.

I agree with this completely. Pay .10 for the copy instead of paying for the signs, then a company to carve them, and more. They should be placed at trail heads such as Lincoln Woods or any trail head that already has a kiosk to post the paper. It can serve out its maximum potential use at the main trail heads only. Almost everyone reading this right now is not going to access a web page miles from the trail head. I like the idea of warnings, but if unprepared people come to hike and they don't scan it, they won't get the warning, so the warnings have to be posted physically too.

I agree, it would not be a bad idea for the small loops and road side sites too (Flume, Boise Rock, Kancamagus lookouts, etc) - But then again, I agree with MichaelJ in that these should not exist in Wilderness areas or National Forests. Tough call, but I hope this talk is all for not, I don't want to see it.