QR Codes on the Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redundant to most hikers?

I could see this being useful to a small percentage of people walking trails. Probably more so in local town parks than backcountry destinations.

For people that show up at mountain trailheads unprepared, but determined to charge ahead anyway, it could be useful to have the trail map given, perhaps with weather conditions. But how many people wouldn't already have that information at the trailhead?

I'm reminded of a quote I read somewhere, of an app developer. Paraphrased, he said his job was to make apps that did things you didn't even realize you needed! So true. I'm just wondering if this would be a case of redundancy. When I eventually give in and buy a smartphone, that info will be on my phone before I even show up.

The example sign seems to be on the summit of Mt Jackson, what sort of info should the QR code include?

Note that according to the WMNF even a sign saying "Mt Jackson" is too much info.

Pretty neat, MichaelJ... I am fascinated by the development process, but that's what I do :) I acknowledge that some do not want or like technology infringing on their hike, but the proposed design (as I read it) will be a small square QR code with acrylic over a vinyl sticker screwed to the sign post above the sign. It's not like they are going to replace every blaze with a QR code. It's just another "language" to print on the existing signs.

It is my opinion that those who are already interested in being properly prepared by low-tech methods will not suddenly change their ways. My GPS purchase has been largely used for recording times and tracks for use in Google Maps and other entertaining ways. It is a handy reassurance, but I still bring the map and compass. It is also my opinion that many of the casual users of trails probably have a smartphone with them and this is a way to give them the information that we think they should have (recalling all those long SAR threads and the desire for education.)

Read the presentation if this sort of thing interests you at all. It was pretty neat. (You may notice, as I did, that all the signs contain the error about "Crawford Notch Route 30" (missing the 2 in 302), and he mentions the "Prudentials" when he means "Presidentials".

Tim

Last edited:
The Electronic Crutch-

anything that needs a battery

......YES, YES, I know head lamp!!
You know what I mean.

When I talk to folks about navigation in general, they ALL tell me that they know how to use a map & compass. I usually respond with the question " can you define declination?"
Most times they don't have a clue kinda lets me know what I'm working with

Learn the basics
REALLY! learn the basics

Why bother. This just looks like a baby step within the long term goal of "Virtual Hiking" hiking IMO. Why not just wait for the goggles, the joy stick, and the lazy boy chair to come out on Xbox. Save your money up for the good stuff!

Oh boy, enough with the cell phones!

How annoying will it be, during the popular times, to have a line at trail junctions just so people can put their phone up to a sign? Just obnoxious! If hikers need that kind of guidance to get through the woods, well, err, I think we have some bigger problems. Get a map, and the appropriate gear and turn the damn phone off.

It won't annoy me at all. Too bad it annoys you. Let's not forget that the National Forests belong to ALL of us, not just the map-and-compass navigational experts. We were all wet behind the ears at one time.

Tim

And you are a moderator?

It won't annoy me at all. Too bad it annoys you. Let's not forget that the National Forests belong to ALL of us, not just the map-and-compass navigational experts. We were all wet behind the ears at one time.

Tim

Tim,

You are supposed to weed out the personal attacks, not create them. I realize that we have a difference of opinion on some things, but let's be nice about it, please.

The parks are for all, yes, and they were created and passionately protected by people that enjoyed the solitude and natural beauty, not for the possible options of technological exploration. That is my point. Cell phones are fine, and I have one, but I don't think that they should be used to guide people through life or through the wonder and beauty of the mountains.

I have been on this site for many many years. I have contributed to it, and I enjoy being part of the community. Please respect that.

Yet some of us got wet sooner than others. I just find it refreshing to leave the digital at home and get on the trail and go analog once in awhile so when I get home the digital seems kooler than the analog. All a matter of gaining perspective
for me. In the big picture I find it comforting to leave my TP at home on a roll once in awhile and wipe my buns with a pine cone when the occasion calls.

Last edited:
Tim,

You are supposed to weed out the personal attacks, not create them. I realize that we have a difference of opinion on some things, but let's be nice about it, please.

The parks are for all, yes, and they were created and passionately protected by people that enjoyed the solitude and natural beauty, not for the possible options of technological exploration. That is my point. Cell phones are fine, and I have one, but I don't think that they should be used to guide people through life or through the wonder and beauty of the mountains.

I have been on this site for many many years. I have contributed to it, and I enjoy being part of the community. Please respect that.

It was not meant as a personal attack. Again, I am sorry that it bothers you. I'm sure some might have taken offense by by your previous comments, which could have been seen as an attack. As a senior member, you might moderate your own comments somewhat as there are many junior or read-only members who are not as senior or as experienced as you. If technology allows less-experienced people to experience the solitude and natural beauty, then perhaps it will create more people who will passionately protect it for the future.

Tim

Last edited:
It was not meant as a personal attack. Again, I am sorry that it bothers you. I'm sure some might have taken offense by by your previous comments, which could have been seen as an attack. As a senior member, you might moderate your own comments somewhat as there are many junior or read-only members who are not as senior as you. If technology allows less-experienced people to experience the solitude and natural beauty, then perhaps it will create more people who will passionately protect it for the future.

Tim

Just please stop saying, "I am sorry that it bothers you." That is what is bothering ME. It is just condescending.

I targeted no one in my posts (other than this discussion). If anyone is offended, that is their choice.

Signed,

"Senior Member" who might be "Member No More."

Just so you know, I am also a person with an opinion, not just a moderator. I was speaking as the former, not the latter.

Continuing as the former, I thought your statement was slightly inflammatory and a bit exclusionary.

miehoff said:
Oh boy, enough with the cell phones!
How annoying will it be, during the popular times, to have a line at trail junctions just so people can put their phone up to a sign? Just obnoxious! If hikers need that kind of guidance to get through the woods, well, err, I think we have some bigger problems. Get a map, and the appropriate gear and turn the damn phone off.

miehoff said:
I targeted no one in my posts (other than this discussion). If anyone is offended, that is their choice.

You targeted, in my opinion (and I have been wrong before), those who might use their phone in the woods.

You are free to have your opinion, as I am free to have mine, and we can agree or disagree.

Tim
p.s. I will make it clear when I am wearing my moderator hat.

We can wish for technology to never be a part of the "wilderness experience" but I think it is here to stay and will continue to evolve. In the end it could even benefit all of us who don't want to be charged for SAR's. We appear to want to help new hikers but we don't seem to be reaching them. Too many are not getting the message and perhaps this could make a difference.
Newbies don't know about all these great hiking web sites, and I am willing to bet many have never heard the words "HIKE SAFE", much less have a clue how to accomplish this.

I was a terrible newbie way back when and did it all wrong. Lady luck was most certainly on my side because I certainly could have found myself in a big heap of trouble.

I thought it was a great idea when they placed big number signs that you could relate back to your trail map at all the trail junctions in the Mt Norwottuck area here in Western MA. They had to do something because they were getting way to many calls from lost hikers. There is quite the "maze"of trails there when you combing the mountain biking and hiking areas. Maybe they don't look so "pretty" but it sure helps a lot of people. Maps are also provided.

NH wants the tourist traffic and some of those folks will obviously wind up taking a hike. We can't keep using protocols that don't work. Why not give this a try? If it works...great! They can always "X it" if it's a lost cause.

Times are changing and I doubt we will ever go back to the way things were. I don't think my hike would be completely ruined if some newbie use their cell phone to get info at a trail junction. Like it or not, cell phones help save lives in more ways than one, and they are not going away.

In the big picture I find it comforting to leave my TP at home on a roll once in awhile and wipe my buns with a pine cone when the occasion calls.

What a great idea! This is too funny!:D:D:D

No Country For Old Men

It's the dismal tide.
It is not the one thing.

I have to admit I feel like an old curmudgeon sometimes when I see the constant parade of new tech gadgets. But I do enjoy using some of them eventually. This is from someone who uses expensive tech all day for a living. It's important to me to make sure I'm using these tools and not the opposite, if you know what I mean.

I don't mind seeing electronics on the trail. I don't necessarily want to hear them, though. On the other hand, I have been known to wear earbuds while trail running. Can you imagine the outcry these devices would get 50 years ago? After a period of time we accept them as part of daily life. As long as they're used with discretion, I have no problem with it. I am a little concerned about the overkill factor. It's one thing to carry a device; another to have them planted in the woods.

Last edited:
My Mind Is More Open Then I Thought

At a get-together over the week-end, I raised the question about incorporating QR Codes in Trail Signs in the White. This group consisted of both hikes and non-hikes. After a spirited and lengthy exchange of thoughts (fueled by good food and better alcohol) we came to the conclusion:

Putting the QR Codes on the trail sign at the trail heads might help lower the amount of SAR responses. Given the fact that mostly newbie (or tourists with no experience) would be looking up the info about the trail. Giving them the info needed to safely complete the trail, such as trail length, elevation gain, suggested time needed, where the trail goes (is it a loop or not), what trail intersects the trail, and what equipment might be needed (including the basic ten / this info could be changed season to season), might be a good thing.

Most of the trail signs a couple of miles or more in could be QR Code free. Signs this far in are most likely only seen by hikers with more than the basic experience (and most likely out of cell range).

The more information you can put out there, the the better off every body is.

See You On The Trail....(Trying NOT to walk by the unnoticed trail sign)....Walker

PS...Unfortunately, with the amount of vandalism the trail signs take, I think the idea is for not, at least in the Whites :(

PPS...By no means am I using the term "Newbie" in a derogatory manner. We (at least speaking for myself) were all "newbies". Sometimes I'm surprised by the fact I'm still around to hike with some of the stupid things I did.

Tim,

The parks are for all, yes, and they were created and passionately protected by people that enjoyed the solitude and natural beauty, not for the possible options of technological exploration. That is my point. Cell phones are fine, and I have one, but I don't think that they should be used to guide people through life or through the wonder and beauty of the mountains
Very complex issues here,to quote Bob Marley"technology is not the problem,people are".I am totally with you on this one bro.Being hypothetical:what if the N.S.A. uses this trailside tech. stuff to spy on us?This trailside tech stuff seems very intrusive to me.I hate my cell phone and spend lots of time trying to lose it.I just got email four years ago at the age of 38,so one can live without all the gadgets.I believe smartphones and computers are turning some of us into antisocial beings that are losing our human/animal behavior.Look at some of our kids[not you Trish],they want to email and text all day,instead of playing outside.I know that I am on this site which makes me a hypocrite
for using this technology,but I am trying to conform to the man a little.I hope you stay on this site and keep posting Mr. Miehoff! I also think Tim is doing a bang up job here so he gets a little slackness for being the new Mod... peace.

Last edited: