QR Codes on the Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In contrast, I have seen trail signs that must have been at least 30 years old (on an abandoned trail).
I think the natural wood signs are expected to last in the 10-20 year range, but some of the white-and-green enamel signs from the 50s are still legible - they are more likely to be stolen than wear out now

I think the natural wood signs are expected to last in the 10-20 year range, but some of the white-and-green enamel signs from the 50s are still legible - they are more likely to be stolen than wear out now
This sign was in a protected area and still up on a tree, both of which probably helped.

Doug

SPNHF is planning to try QR codes at trailhead kiosks, apparently as a sticker so easily updated/replaced

Can QR Code Parking Pass Stickers in the WMNF be far off?

There's no need for it. They're already individually numbered, and you can represent a number with a basic "1 dimensional" bar code. So if they wanted to be able to scan them, a simple bar code would be all that's necessary.

There's no need for it. They're already individually numbered, and you can represent a number with a basic "1 dimensional" bar code. So if they wanted to be able to scan them, a simple bar code would be all that's necessary.
Whew:rolleyes:In a nutshell .....from outside the box there is so much more info to be gained with a QR coded sticker! Multidimensional to say the least!:D

Last edited:
I just read on the AMC's Equipment Blog (Appalachian Mountain Club's Equipped) about the use of QR Codes (those funny looking square bar codes you use with your smart phone) on trail signs. Come up to the trail sign with a QR code, whip out your smart phone, and get information about the trail and other important data the trail sponsor includes on the web site. COOL??? I think NOT!!!

1308152289_44847.jpg

1) You have to be in an area that has cell coverage.
2) I like to hike to get away from technology. Almost. I carry a cell phone for emergency use (when available) & a GPS (for safety reasons).
3) If you get to the trail sign and need a smart phone to get trail information, YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!! You should have all the trail info before your boots ever hit the ground.

Maybe I'm old school, but (IMHO) QR Codes and trail sign just don't mix.

See you on the trail.....(with my map and compass ;) ).....Walker

I agree - what a stupid idea. I go to the mtns to get away from technology too!

I agree - what a stupid idea. I go to the mtns to get away from technology too!

If my reason for going to the mountains was to "get away from technology", I'd have to leave my digital camera at home.

It all sounds interesting to me. If used properly, it could be useful and informative info at a trailhead. The thing that bothers me is how polarizing these subjects are. If you support this, then you are a rich yuppie who will need to be rescued by a helicopter. If you don't support this, then you are labeled as poor or an anti technology mizer. I am middle aged, middle income, and have hiked the 67 4 k'ers and would consider using these QR codes. I can hike these mountains without the aid of technology, but I can see some possible benefits with the use of more readily available knowledge. I just find it funny how bent out of shape some people get about technology. Everyone uses technology, the just have their own moralistic compass that they impose on others as to where to draw the line on issues. If you want to be a true mountain man, run to the trailhead while wearing an animal skin that you hunted to nourish yourself, and then bushwhack up the mountain.

. If you want to be a true mountain man, run to the trailhead while wearing an animal skin that you hunted to nourish yourself, and then bushwhack up the mountain.
Make sure it's a sunny day so you can put a stick in the sand and tell where your going and not get lost. Otherwise this behavior might be seen as negligent if executed in the WMNF.

My objection to QR codes in the backcountry are:
1) Spending scarce money on something that will not benefit everybody but only the better-off
2) People may come to rely on them more than they should and get lost/injured
3) Use will not be optional, F&G will require you to carry an Android or send you a bill :)