Sledding down the Daks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
And now for something completely different!

I can't cross-country ski worth a damn, so I was wondering if anybody here has ever tried sledding ... yes sledding ... down the trails to the peaks? Glissading is fun but it would seem that a proper flat-bottom sled could be a very quick way down a peak (maybe too fast!) without a knee and hips work-out. Some of the trails seem to me would be excellent, like coming down from Lake Tear to Uphill leanto. Other trails would be too cliffy at spots. Maybe coming down a slide would be cool in one too! Could be used to pull your pack up too instead of carrying it.

I've seen plans to build your own pull-sled. I did one once but it was too unwieldy and with all the pvc pipe was no good for sit-in use.

Just wondering if it's ever been tried and was it worth the price and the extra weight. I notice that EMS has a collection of unique sleds.

Sledding

I have one of these http://www.madriverrocket.com/

I also used their instructions to build a pulling harness to get my winter gear into the back country. Its worked for me. Have only sledded the trails in VT, will have to venture over to the Daks this winter

oldfogie said:
so I was wondering if anybody here has ever tried sledding ... yes sledding ... down the trails
Just wondering if it's ever been tried and was it worth the price and the extra weight.

Yes!! My sled fits in my pack and is necessary equipment in winter. :D It's worth is unmeasurable :eek: :)

I've tried sledding on a few trails in the Whites, none in the 'daks. It's not as easy as it looks. My sled had a tendency to ride up and out of the packed trail. Some trails are too steep, some are too shallow. Some have too many ups and downs. The lower part of the Crawford Path was a good one. The trail down from Lonesome Lake also looks like it would be good.

For a sled, you need to think about steering and braking. I used my son’s cheap, plastic sled. Cons: no brakes and no steering. I used my feet for both. Pros: light and cheap. I stashed the sled on the way up so I wouldn’t have cared if someone swiped it or it blew away. The Mad River Rocket looks like fun on a ski slope, but I wouldn’t want to strap myself in like that on a trail with trees. I suppose you could use an ice axe for braking and steering, but it’s not too cool to leave the trail all torn up behind you after your descent.

By all means, give it a try some time. We didn’t save any time or energy sledding down on our descent, but it was a bit of fun.

My friends that don't ski brought cheap plastic rool up sleds up big slide. We skied, they used the sleds on the trail. They had a blast.

Yep...Thats how I've been doing my Winter 46 peaks: on a plastic sled! Got 10 peaks 36 to go to be a Sledding 46r! Its a FAST way down. Its fairly easy to control the sled if you use all 4 limbs as well. Heres some pics from our winter section if ya wanna check it out : SLEDDING 46

Well we have Bushwack 46er #1 John Winkler
Ski to Die 46er #1 Ron Konowitz
I guess Sledding 46er #1 Head (Soon To Come) ;)

VTskier said:
Now thats a SICK sled! The videos were insane...gotta build a kicker and test out some of those moves myself (although I cant see myself doing a backflip in a sled!) ;)

Skyclimber2971w said:
Well we have Bushwack 46er #1 John Winkler
Ski to Die 46er #1 Ron Konowitz
I guess Sledding 46er #1 Head (Soon To Come) ;)
Might be a few years, but it'll be a blast tryin! :)

heeeead!

that site is awesome! how come you never posted it here before? i dont' have time to go thru everything now but i've forwarded it to work so come monday you know what i'll be doing at the job!
hey is there some way to enlarge the pics or videos as i 'm watching them??

Last edited:
I've sledded down a few High Peaks, as well as some of the smaller peaks to the south. The best descents are those that are all down hill (as opposed to down, a little up, down again, a little up, etc.). The "rolling" terrain results in too much getting in and out of the sled. Some good ones:

Cascade to Cascade Lakes trailhead
Giant to Route 73 via the Ridge Trail (almost too steep in spots)
Sawteeth to Lower Ausable Lake via Weld Trail

Favorites:

Big Slide to Johns Brook Lodge (awesome run, especially at the top)Hadley Mountain (fantastic)
This is one of the best runs I've ever done. From the ridge to the trailhead (a distance of about 1 mile) is nearly all down hill. Once you know the run, the entire mile can be done without having to get out of the sled once. It's not too steep either. The grade is just about perfect.​

The conditions have to be ideal for the perfect sled run. The snow shouldn't be too crusty or icey, but it should be consolidated enough that one wouldn't post hole without snowshoes on. This is important because I take off my snowshoes for the descent and actually strap myself into the sled. When the grade isn't steep enough to keep the sled moving, I get out of the sled and carry it until the grade steepens. I keep my feet inside the sled for the most part, using hips and hands to steer. I can bail out if need be, or pull my feet out to brake in an emergency.

I think I will post trips on this board this season where I plan to sled. Perhaps others will want to join me.

John

Last edited: