2012 Spring Wildflower Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early

Early spring in Southeastern NH.

20120501-20120501-_DSC0008.jpg

Pink Lady's Slipper Cypripedium acaule

KDT

Some Early May Shots from Southeastern NH...

20120504-20120504-_DSC0008.jpg

Starflower Trientalis borealis

20120504-20120504-_DSC0036.jpg

Fringed Polygala Polygala paucifolia

Sunday May 6th marked the return of the Baltimore Orioles and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds!

20120506-_DSC0025.jpg

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

20120508-20120508-_DSC0028.jpg

Nodding Trillium Trillium cernuum

KDT

Northern woodlands had a picture of that a while back in their "what in the woods" series. It is a fungus. I can't remember more than that, but of you look at their site, you'll find it. A few years back I found an albino painted trillium, as well as a painted trillium with 4 petals,etc, instead of three. Cool find on the albino purple trillium!

Trillium

I could be wrong but that trillium looks like Nodding Trillium to me. The fungus is known as Witches Butter Tremella mesenterica

KDT

Elizabeth's trillium is definitely purple trillium, T. erectum.

Compared to nodding trillium (T. cernuum)
- the flower is above the leaves, not below
-the pistil is dark red, not white

I've seen some pale ones but that one is remarkably bright white.

Another bouquet from the girls. This time they found them in a field behind the local rec center. I'm not great with identifying flowers but I think I got this one. :eek:

Pheasant's Eye Narcissus (Narcissus poeticus)
DPP_505.JPG

(also a buttercup thrown in there for good measure)

And yes... we still are celebrating Valentine's day, St. Patrick's Day and Easter on our windows...:cool:

Possibly Snowy Trillium (Trillium simile)

KDT

Hm, tempting, but
- snowy trillium is usually a little more erect, with a bit more width to the petals (though that's hard to tell for sure in the photo)
and more importantly
-northern limit of snowy trillium is North Carolina. Was this spot near an old garden?

I saw this on 11-May-2012 on the Mt. Tremont Trail at an elevation of about 1,200 ft. Would this possibly be just a common tree sprout of some sort, rather than a wildflower?
Whatever it is, it had no visible leaves attached to it. As seen in the composite snapshot below, it had a stalk + a "bloom", and that's all!
The photo quality isn't the best, but perhaps good enough for someone to make an identification.
Tremont_11May2012.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses on my white Trillium erectum and for the answer to the fungal mystery - witch's butter.

I should note that the trillium is near the site of an old farmstead (last occupied in the 1950s). However, all of the other trilliums in the area are the purple variety. I am guessing that the poor form of the white trillium is related to the albinism. Sorry not to have provided a better photo. It was starting to rain, and I was trying to get a shot in while shielding my camera from the wet.

1happyhiker, that's an early shoot - the two "petals" are cotyledons, the modified leaves that store nutrients inside a seed. (Take a close look at a chickpea - it splits easily between the two cotyledons, and the joint between them is a tiny stem that will grow a root at one end and a shoot at the other.) In some plants, the cotyledons expand into a "baby leaf" pair that doesn't resembe the adult leaves. (The root grows first and lifts the cotyledons out of the ground, then the cotyledons enlarge.) That might be what your'e seeing here, except that those cotyledons don't look like they've changed shape much. I'm assuming those are normal-sized beech leaves in the background, so that's a good-sized seedling. Maybe it was a pretty big seed (nut) to start with. I could probably find it if I started googling for beech seedling, oak seedling, hazelnut...

The reddish stuff with rough edges will become adult-shape leaves.

Meanwhile, in the Boston area, I'm learning how to use flash to make the background seem dark so that flowers stand out:
attachment.php

slipper_med.JPG

but natural light is still useful:

attachment.php

slipper2_small.jpg

Last edited:
1happyhiker, that's an early shoot - the two "petals" are cotyledons . . . I'm assuming those are normal-sized beech leaves in the background, so that's a good-sized seedling. Maybe it was a pretty big seed (nut) to start with. I could probably find it if I started googling for beech seedling, oak seedling, hazelnut. . .
Thank you, Nartreb . . . very much appreciated!

As you suggested, I did a google search for "beech seedling" and came up with a few images that somewhat resemble the image that I posted. The resemblance was close enough so that I'm convinced it is indeed a beech seedling, albeit a very robust one! If it survives being trampled, it should grow to become a very handsome beech tree!:)

A handful more...

Toothwort.
P1090176.JPG

Jack-in-the-Pulpit.
P1090184.JPG

Northern White Violet.
P1080649.JPG

Lungwort Lichen.
P1080805.JPG

Green Frog.
P1090174.JPG

Eastern Garter snake tasting to see what I was.
P1080708.JPG

A Spring rainbow over North and Middle Sugarloaf.
P1090313.JPG