NEHHw finish on Baxter Peak 3-10-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
My peakbagging began after climbing Moosilauke, on my 3rd attempt, in May 1975. I was working on I-91 around Wells River, VT at the time. I was the only one working there and staying overnight in a motel, as everyone else lived close enough to go home for the night. After summiting Moosilauke, I learned of the 4K list! So once in awhile, after work, I’d drive into NH to climb some on the list. I remember meeting folks finishing a hike telling me it’s too late, you’ll never make it! I finished NH 4K’s that year. Over the winter I met up with co-workers that ran and I got into that. Did my first Marathon in May ’76 in 3:08 or so. That Fall I ran the Skylon Marathon that finished in Canada at Niagara Falls. To qualify for 1977 Boston you had to break 3 hours, my time was 2:59:56! My running peaked in 1979 with a 2:52:37(2:51:47 from start line) @ Boston(1980 qualifying time was lowered to 2:50), then a 4:32:22 Pikes Peak Marathon which was good for 19th place! My best 50-miler was @ Lake Waramaug in ’82 in 7:35:40…a few days after my first son was born.
But I digress…for my first winter peak I climbed Killington on February 3, 1976. At the time I was working on NE4K's all season. It wasn't until February 2002 that I really started on the winter lists, after my wife bought me a pair of snowshoes for Christmas. She did this since I couldn’t get into XC Skiing, that she loved doing.
Finished NH4K’s winter on Flume January 26, 2008.
I'd solo'd all of the peaks in VT & NH but couldn't really do that very easily for Maine. Fortunately, I met Onestep while hiking Old Speck February 2005, which led to meeting several other peakbaggers...all way more experienced than I! The others I’ve hiked with were Marc, Kyle, Oncoman, ReJean, Al, Carl, Ross, Damon, Van, Doc, Al, Meri and Fred. Thanks so much for letting me tag along!
March 7, 2009 was an 18 mile day from Nesowadnehunk’s Camp Cozy Cabin, to North Brother, Fort, South Brother and Coe where DocRoss finished his NEHHw! We covered 30 miles in 3 days on that Adventure and was the hardest of all the hikes. But we were blessed with good weather and a successful trip! Thanks Carl!!! Found out after returning to the Terrace Hotel that evening that my Mom had passed away! She was the most amazing person I’ve ever known!!!
Last March we attempted Hamlin & Baxter from Abol Bridge but were turned back in near white out conditions about 500’ from the Tableland. This year was the same route. Mike Laross(group leader and all around great guy!), Ross Garofalo, Dave Hoyne and I were the group. We started at 5:08am and got back at 8:02pm having covered roughly 19.2 miles and about 5,789 vertical feet. Bryan was with us for a little over a mile then sped off for Baxter & Hamlin alone! We all had sleds to pull our packs into Abol Campground. All left there about 7:17 in snowshoes. We caught up to Spencer and about 9 others doing an AMC Baxter hike near the base of the slide, where we took our second break. I changed to crampons same as the AMC folks had done and the snow on the slide was great for them! We got almost to the top of the slide about 10:50 for our third break. By the time we started across the tableland AMC Group was on Baxters Summit. Got to Hamlin about 12:42 for a brief stop before heading to Baxter Peak. Arrived there about 2:12 where we regrouped and took in the incredible scenery! After summit pix it was back to the slide and a very slow, careful descent! Back to the campground about 6:06 and fairly dark. The rest is history :p

DSCN0893_edited-1.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0893_edited-1.JPG
    DSCN0893_edited-1.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8775.jpg
    IMG_8775.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Very nice stuff!Wow!!!My short term goal is to just camp at baxter in winter,I can not imagine getting all three done.Congrats.
Bryan just finished his single season 67,very impressive also....Rock on, bring on next winter![after this weekend of course].My only complaint with this site is sometimes you guys make it all look so easy......:)

Last edited:
Congratulations! At this point I can't imagine hiking the NEHH in winter. Quite an accomplishment.

Congratulations on an amazing achievement!! We never met, but you broke trail on Signal Ridge Trail from the road to Carrigain Notch, when you did Vose Spur six years ago (thanks again). Looks like you had a banner day to finish.

Regards,
Marty

it was great seeing you guys up there last week. gorgeous day for your finish on kathadin. it sounds like you had quite a journey over the years to get there.
congratulations.

bryan

Big Congrats to you Fred and to your partners in crime! :D Baxter is a fitting finishing peak. I'm glad you had good conditions this year. It pays to be patient, especially in BSP.

Your resume is impressive. I had no idea that you have been working these lists for so long! When do expect to complete the Trailwrights?