Spring Skiing in Tuckerman Ravine ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Given the little snow and high temps, is there any hope for spring skiing in tuckerman ravine this year?
If so, any guesses as to the best time?
The MW OBS Wildcat webcam doesn't point at the ravines anymore so it's tough to tell what's still there.
Thanks.

Sooner the better

I was up there just 3 days ago, on Thursday. The day with the widespread undercast in the Whites, top 5 day in the mtns for me.

Looked like early to mid-April, so still pretty good. Trouble is, its only March. :( This week of sun and temps in the 50s is gonna hit it pretty hard, I think. Lows over night only in the 40s too, so not good. Recent photos I've seen show slough runnels in the Lip and Headwall area.

Been meaning to put a short report up, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
I was in the bowl yesterday, Hillmans and Left Gully were the best choices, lobster claw is done and top of right gully is bare. The waterfall to the left of the slucie has started. Gonna be a very short season and the snow is really mushy with the lack of freezing temps at night. The sherbie was skiable top to bottom if you dont mind cutting over grass but the bottom will be closed this week I would Imagine. Saw David Metsky, but he was heading to Gulf of Slides, maybe we will chime in with a Gulf of slides update.

Gulf of Slides was great on Sunday, but the Gulf snowfields are ending quickly and you won't be able to skin in/ski out for much of the length of the trail after this weekend.

some photos of yesterday

notice this guys skinning technique this is right before the first aide cache
380710_2835350168646_1405955038_32138265_674517452_n.jpg

notice the sluffing on the headwall and the open water on the lip
398896_2835354728760_1405955038_32138275_1905988469_n.jpg

best sking in the bowl was here
480855_2835356168796_1405955038_32138279_154855943_n.jpg

While we were waiting in the parking lot at Appalachia on Saturday there were a bunch of people coming out of woods carrying skis. I asked one of the groups if they'd actually had a chance to use them and the response was "hell yes! - the headwall on King Ravine is awesome!". :eek: I saw numerous pictures of King Ravine from various hikers photos on Saturday (including one that pointed out some skiers in the middle of the wall). I still simply can't believe that this is doable (but then again I think I'd personally just as soon jump off a bridge as go over the lip on Tucks).