Temperature record broken for Mt Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Mount Washington Observatory
‎** NEW RECORD **
New daily record high of 46°F set for March 18th; Previous record of 37°F set on March 18th, 1945.

Today's temp at midnight is also a record for today.

Tim

Um. Yeah. I took a nap on Ike on Saturday. A nap. Right in the nipple (next to the cairn at the top, for those of you who haven't made the connection). In March. And I didn't even layer up before laying down.

wonder how this bodes for the rest of the year; warm and wet, warm and dry, cold and wet, cold and dry ? or are we just now correcting for what we got last winter ?

It seems like the weather boomeranged. I was so geared up for another high-snow year and being able to snowshoe in CT. :(

Um. Yeah. I took a nap on Ike on Saturday. A nap. Right in the nipple (next to the cairn at the top, for those of you who haven't made the connection). In March. And I didn't even layer up before laying down.

I took a nap on a hilltop with no name, trail or notable prominence.

I wore a sleeping pad.

‎** NEW RECORD **
New daily record high of 46°F set for March 18th; Previous record of 37°F set on March 18th, 1945.
Today's temp at midnight is also a record for today.

Make that four daily records in a row. Temps are now up to 30 degrees above average. The new record high for March 19th is eleven degrees higher than the old record!

March 18: New daily record high of 46°F; Previous record of 37°F set on March 18th, 1945.
March 19: New daily record high of 49°F; Previous record of 38°F set on March 19th, 1968.
March 20: New daily record high of 49°F (not yet official as of this writing); Previous record of 40°F set on March 20th, 1938.
March 21: New daily record high of 45°F (as of midnight; forecast to go even higher); Previous record of 43°F set on March 21st, 1976.

Steve
data from www.mountwashington.org

See the observer's comments today... http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/

22:45 Wed Mar 21st
photo - see caption below
Northern Prezis in May...err...March

Today was a near-historic day on the summit.

The theme of the past few comments has been very consistent-it's unseasonably warm. I'm sure that point has been hammered home, whether you've experienced it first hand or not. However, there's a difference between just eeking out new records, which is normally the case during a stretch of unseasonable weather, and completely shattering them.

Our record high for today was a mere 43F. So far today (with only a scant few hours left), we have not fallen BELOW this figure. That's right--our daily low temperature today has not fallen below the record HIGH for the day. That's quite a feat....

032121-lg.jpg

Today's photo, from the OBS web site.

Tim

Last edited:
A relief to see today's summit conditions...a peak gust of 96 mph and temperatures in the 30s. That's more like it ;)