Waterproofing suede

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijesi

Reaction score
All--

What are your recommendations for waterproofing suede boots for winter hiking/peak bagging? I have a pair of La Sportiva K2s that for five years or so have kept me warm and dry under all conditions for my twice-yearly trips to the 'Dacks. However, while getting reacquainted with them recently in advance of an upcoming trip, the rain I was slogging through didn't exactly bead off the way it used to - and actually soaked in in some places. The seams stayed dry.

I've used Nikwax in the past, but have since read some unflattering reviews of the product. Is there something else I can use? Something better? I want to treat them before I head north and would appreciate the sage advice of the VFTT contributors.

Thanks in advance. :)

--Sijesi

P.S. Of course, if there's already a thread that deals with this issue, please direct me to it.

That's a sweet looking Les Paul. 1960 vintage?

I use Nixwax with mixed results. Gotta do several applications before each trip for it to hold up well in really wet condx.

cb

I have K2's

Used K2's for several years and since they are originally silicone impregnated leather I have retreated them with a silcone spray. Works for me. :)

Silicone spray

Carole--

Any recommendations for silicone spray brands or where I might buy some?

Thanks.

--Sijesi

sijesi said:
Carole--

Thanks.

--Sijesi

Silicone Water-Guard, spray can, orange cap. I can get it at Wal-Mart in the camping/hunting area. Be sure have the boots upside down while spraying and while they dry.

If you're not worried about losing the suede nap ... after five years on the trail is there any left? ... why not just treat the boots like any other leather boot? I treat my boots (Vasque gore-tex each), including a once upon a time pair of nubucks, with a leather conditioner (lexol), then buff in some polish and top off with aquaseal or beeswax (I hear bacon fat accomplishes the same thing but it can make you real attractive to racoons). In this way I get more years than I care to admit. It's usually the shank that weakens first.

Is Biwell Still In?

Nobody has mentioned Biwell. I think that was a big fave a few years ago.

And Stan makes a good point re Nubuck. Once the boots get beat up a bit, it probably makes sense to use a paste-based waterproofer on them and forgo that nearly new look.

I think a paste such as Biwell will last longer and is cheaper than NixWax.

cb

silicon spray brands

sijesi said:
Carole--

Thanks.

--Sijesi
Steger Mukluks at www.Mukluks.com recommends (and sells) Fiebing's Silicone Spray for their moosehide products, which resemble suede (scraped side of hide outermost).

Walt