Iron Mountain Ledges via Bushwhack: 18-Mar-2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
I parked on Jericho Road at the point where the road becomes gated, and then bushwhacked northerly to reach my destination which were the ledges that are located on whatever you want to call it, i.e. Iron Mountain's south ridge, south spur, south arm, whatever! These ledges are NOT the same as the ledges (South Cliffs) that can be reached via the Iron Mountain Trail.
My target-ledges were those that are located southeast of South Cliffs.

My route was entirely on public land (USFS). The trek up to the ridge was basically snow-free, and the woods at that location are mainly open hardwoods. This combination made for a relatively quick journey to the ledges. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that the climb didn't seem as steep as one might expect from the tightly compacted contour lines shown on topographic maps. Once on top of the ridge, there were some scattered patches of snow, but nothing of significance.

I decided to head further northward along the ridge than I had originally planned. Eventually, I hit a persistent layer of snow which was 8 to 10 inches deep. For about a half mile, I followed an abandoned trail corridor eastward toward Green Hill. However, since I hadn't bothered to bring snowshoes, it was slow-going through the deep snow, and so I didn't proceed all the way to Green Hill.

My BLOG has a few snapshots taken during this trek.