Will the Dry River Trail be opened.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

Reaction score
For a number of years now the NFS has listed this trail a closed to all users. A call to the WMNF was inconclusive; 'call back later in the year.'

Does anyone have info on if and when this trail will be reopened. I am hoping to use it for a loop of the southern presidentials in July.

I really don't know the answer to this, but you would be amazed at the damage Hurricane Irene cause on the roads and trails of the WMNF. I noticed the FS is advertising a job opening for a trail work coordinator specifically for trails impacted by Irene. I'm guessing they got some extra money for this position because of the massive amount of work that will be need to be done to get everything fixed up. They probably can't give a specific date on when that trail will be fixed as they are still trying to assess all the damage from last fall and new damage from this spring, then implement a plan to get everything fixed.

There are 2 different issues here

For several years the trail was closed due to an unsafe bridge

The bridge was fixed and the trail reopened only to be washed out by Irene so it is closed again

I would guess based on how long it took to fix last time that it will be a low priority for Irene work and not open this summer, unless a giant stimulus grant gets all Irene work done in 2 months :)

It's going to be a while

The Forest Service is still assessing the damage from Irene. Fortunately, all the districts have substantial trail crews planned and funded for this summer - and Irene damage is their primary objective. But the damage is so extensive and widespread it will take years for a full recovery.

I heard a report that the USFS got 4 million dollars for Irene repairs in the whites but cant put my hand on a link.

By the way with the right stroke of a pen, the FS can use motorized equipment to do repairs in Wilderness area whihc will speed things up considerably. Whether they want to is another story.

By the way with the right stroke of a pen, the FS can use motorized equipment to do repairs in Wilderness area whihc will speed things up considerably. Whether they want to is another story.

That was considered after the 1998 ice storm, but in the end the FS decided to "walk the talk" and stick to their own guidelines for non-motorized maintenance in Wilderness.

from what i heard from an anonymous source, who not knowing it was closed hiked out via dry river post irene, the damage to the dry river trail extends beyond just damage to the bridge (which was sketchy, but crossable) with some substantial washouts between the bridge and eisenhower trail. i believe they said there were 8 places they had to bushwack off the route because the trail was wiped out in some cases leaving significant drops down to the river bed. above eisenhower trail is anyones guess, but i think i remember reports of significant blowdown pre irene. mind you all of this is second hand. i'm guessing they are having to do some significant re routing of the trail and that combined with the damage to the bridge may hold it up for a while.

bryan

...damage to the dry river trail extends beyond just damage to the bridge ...with some substantial washouts between the bridge and eisenhower trail.

That's consistent with what I've heard from the Forest Service. But they still haven't done a complete inventory of the damage, much less decided on corrective measures. So any repairs or relocations will almost certainly extend into 2013 and beyond.

Dry River Trail Update?

Has there been any more news on the status of the Dry River Trail? Anyone try to hike it this summer?

Thanks.

Has there been any more news on the status of the Dry River Trail? Anyone try to hike it this summer?

A Hiker was recently charged for a rescue, partly because they disregarded the closed status of the trail and attempted to use it as part or their route, contributing to the need for rescue. See previous thread.

Because so much of the trail was literally washed away by Irene, the problems go far beyond normal repairs and restoration. At best, it will involve substantial relocations, and could take years. I'm not holding my breath.

It's not on the current Schedule of Proposed Actions (SOPA). The Irene damage trail projects listed are Greeley Ponds, East Side, Lincoln Woods, Sabbaday Brook, Signal Ridge, Nancy Pond, and Pine Bend Brook.

Is there any merit to the idea that the Dry River Trail is required for access to the area in the case of a S&R?

That drainage seems to really pull in winter hikers when they are looking to get off the ridge in a hurry.

I talked to a ranger about this on the Crawford Path a few weeks ago - the trail was open up until Irene - the damage is unreal - mentioned a spot on the trail where the erosion caused a 100' drop from where the trail should be. They are evaluating this year - and will likely come up with a plan to relocate the trail higher up away from the river...it is rough country in there and one of my favorite areas in the Whites...glad I have been up as far as the Falls.

Amazing damage. We still see frequent references to the Hurricane of '38. 75 years from now, there will likely still be references in the Whites to the lingering effects of the Hurricane of '11.

It looks like a hike up the Dry River Trail this year wouldn't be much fun, since much of the trail isn't even there any more.

Thanks for the info.

I have to admit, I really want to 'shwhack in there and check things out. How much worse could it be than any other gnarly bushwhack partially following an active drainage? That said, the threat of a $5k fine and/or 6 months in jail has thus far successfully dissuaded me from trying. Yeesh, what ever happenned to live free or die?

Status
Not open for further replies.