Winter nh 48 canine finishers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
I've noted with interest the mention of a number of canine finishers both this year and in past years of the NH 48 winter peaks. Since the AMC does not recognize canine finishers I was interested in trying to put together a list.

Cath mentioned: Barkley Mayer ~ Tuckerman Ray ~ Brutus Rooney ~ and now, The Mighty Quinn

Stinky Feet mentioned: Addie & Tenniky Shaffer, Echo Oreskes, Crescent Arnold, Elsa Scrimshaw Rowe, and my very own husky Sam... (I assumed in the context that they were all dogs)

[B---/B] was not mentioned anywhere but was an obvious finisher.

I can't find the thread right now but I remember reading that Izzi finished

Lauky also finished.

I was wondering if anyone had any others to add to the winter canine list either single season or multiple years.

Last edited:
Per Frost has an Airedale named Cinilla - he and she both did the SSW48.

I'd be surprised if Larisa & Rob's dogs, Toby, Carter and Tuck have not done all 48 in winter, if not the SSW48.

Off hand, I can name 6 people who I know have done the SSW48 but are not listed on the web site... many are by choice so I won't enumerate them here.

Tim

Last edited:
F.l.e.a.

Clarification: The dogs I mentioned in the other post were early members of FLEA (early 1990s), the Four-Legged Explorers Association, NOT winter 48 canine finishers. To my knowledge, none of the dogs I mentioned ever completed the W48. (Neither did Barkley Mayer for that matter.)

Terra is quite close to a W48 (and an all season 5th round), Pemi has 18 winter peaks.

It's not a priority for me but I'm
Sure as the years go on they will get there.

;-)

What about Bill and Sheep? John and Pepper?

Terra is quite close to a W48 (and an all season 5th round), Pemi has 18 winter peaks.

It's not a priority for me but I'm
Sure as the years go on they will get there.

;-)

What about Bill and Sheep? John and Pepper?

Thanks for the suggestions. I sent a PM to Bill to check. I can't remember how John signs in. If you (or anyone) could let me know I'll check with him.

Per Frost has an Airedale named Cinilla - he and she both did the SSW48.

I'd be surprised if Larisa & Rob's dogs, Toby, Carter and Tuck have not done all 48 in winter, if not the SSW48.

Off hand, I can name 6 people who I know have done the SSW48 but are not listed on the web site... many are by choice so I won't enumerate them here.

Tim

Thanks Tim we'll add Cinilla and I'll check with Larisa.

These are the dogs that we have been able to confirm that have finished the winter 48 roughly in the order of finish. Although I don't know exactly when Romeo finished it was prior to this year:

Brutus, Atticus, Romeo, Lauky, Izzy, Quinn, Cinilla.

I have some PMs out to check on some other dogs but we are still waiting on the response.

I'm sure there are others that have done it. If you know of any please post them here.

Thanks

ALL good dogs ~

The four dogs I noted in the other thread (Randy & Quinn's 48 winter finish on Cannon)
were recipients of the F.L.E.A. Golden Biscuit Award

which does have to do with hiking, but not specifically with hiking in winter.

Joe Comuzzi's two dogs PorkChop and..........? both hike often with Joe,
possibly the 48 in winter too. Might be a question for Steve Smith, unless someone has contact info for Joe.

I've been continuing to get feedback and I really appreciate it.

Newly added to the list is Pepper who finished in January 2011. I'm also told that Izzy and Israel are one and the same dog.

The list as we have it now: Brutus, -----, Romeo, Pepper, Lauky, Izzy-Israel, Quinn and Cinnilla. Someone is checking to see if Cinnilla might also have finished last year.

Does anyone know how to contact Joe Comuzzi? There is some speculation that his Dogs Pork Chop and ??? might also have finished.

Three dogs are close to finishing: Terra, Toby and Hannah.

If anyone has anymore info you can contact me through this website or at: [email protected]

Last edited:
Pepper finished the winter 48 on Moriah on January 29, 2011.

He would have finished a second round that winter as well (a SSW), but John forgot his snowshoes one day and Pepper didn't want him to posthole (says John).
:)

Congrats to all the pups!

I just heard back from Joe Comuzzi. His dogs haven't completed the winter 48 but they sure do have impressive credentials. Pork Chop has done the 48 six times and the ADK once. Paprika has done the 48 three times. Congratulations that's quite impressive.

Pork Chop has done the 48 six times and the ADK once. .

That is a feat. Its tough to get the dogs to many of those peaks. The approaches to a good many peaks originate in the ADK Preserve where dogs are forbidden and then there are some peaks I just personally didn't feel comfortable hiking my dog to. Basin especially. Terra never got to Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, Blake, Colvin, Sawteeth, Upper and Lower Wolf Jaws ,or Rocky Peak Ridge. But, she's got Marcy about six times. :)

I've continued to receive a number of communications and we now have a pretty good list of the winter canine finishers. If anyone has any info to add please contact me by PM or E-mail or post it here. Here is the list:

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011 Romeo, who passed away in January of this year was the dog of Mike Innes whom many of you know. Romeo also
did the AT trail and the Long trail.
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Izzi-Israel March 12, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013

One observation I would like to make is how impressed I've been with the savvy winter hikers have concerning winter hiking and the extreme care they have taken of their dogs when they have taken them out winter hiking with them. There are two or three dogs that may finish in the next year or two that haven't finished yet simply because their owners are being very careful. For those that have finished their owners have mentioned how careful they were. A good example has been set, I believe, for any others who plan to take their dogs out in the winter. :)

[email protected]

Last edited:
Ed - Minor correction. Brutus first winter round was completed on Jan 18, 2004. The following year he did them again, finishing on March 6th.

I've noticed that there are a number of Canines out hiking this winter so I thought I'd give this a bump up. The list as we have it so far of Canine finishers is as follows: Brutus, Atticus, Marley, Romeo, Pepper, Lauky, Izzy-Israel, Quinn, Cinnilla.

If any more dogs finish the winter 48 this year please let me know or just post it in this thread. Or, if you happen to know of any other canine winter 48 finishers please let me know.

Thanks. :)

Last edited: