Moosilauke Via the Moosilauke Carriage Road - 3/24/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 03-24-2012

Trail Conditions: Mud with patches of dry trail, okay it felt that way, only a couple of spots of snow and ice below the Snapper trail. still plently of bare ground but snow goes from patches to nuisance snow to solid snow at about 4,000 feet. Spur to South Peak mostly snow and ice until almost the top.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes were helpful for about 1/2 a mile near the top & most of the spur. The actual summit area is snow free. Monorail on Carriage trail hard to pick out from the soft snow but not too deep. I was the only one who brought snowshoes & I did not wear them on the way down.

Comments: - Surprisingly few people out on a day that you would be happy to hike on in May. Only one couple went up the Carriage Road plus myself. I left my water bottle at the summit. (in an old washed hiking sock) Once I got back I drove to the Glencliff, Ravine Lodge Road & Beaver Brook Trailheads. Glencliff had the most cars in the lot, just a couple at Ravine Lodge and just one at Beaver Brook. Still some snow & ice at the Beaver Brook trailhead. My 1st 4K over age 50 & 1st and last hopefully at this weight! :eek:

Mike P.
[email protected]